Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Cold spell - general discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
Argghh! You could almost smell his fear.

Noticed the only time he really perked up was when he mentioned SW England tomorrow "Not quite so cold here", a little smile, the hint of a wink.

Anyway, the same as the News 24 forecast just before it. Although Bett did say sleet and snow, whilst Taylor referred to generally to snow.

Observe between the lines and you can't make it up.

As soon as I saw it was Darren Bett I laughed because we all know of his mild bias. I thought oh no! He is going to downgrade it or something :) But then when he started talking of 'significant snow' I started to get a bit happier! Even they arent too sure on the position of the PPN and the whole sitation yet though, you could tell that by the way they only showed the snow over the middle part of the country from a zoomed out way and then quickly switched to another page where he ended his forecast, so I think by this time tomorrow and Wednesday morning we will know better what is likely to happen for Thursday :)

Posted

Can't say i'm completely convinced about this line of showers developing from Liverpool Bay to the Wash tonight and where they've got that from.

Yes there is a hefty looking shower just about to move onshore into Cheshire and yes there are showers affecting North Norfolk.

The showers in North Norfolk were on the FAX charts as a trough which on earlier charts may have affected areas slightly further west until they were updated (for example I could have sneaked one overnight - or at least Cambridgeshire would).

Just from watching the radar over the past couple of hours I can see perhaps some showers pushing through the Cheshire Gap into the Midlands, but I can't see how those showers over Norfolk could link up. Or maybes thats not what they were getting at? Can't see in this overnight flow how the two can link up through the central part of the country...? Unless a trough is developing, its not on the fax charts, and there is not much I can see on the radar to support it.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

I thought the same thing mackerel, Darren Bett even said some places could see a 'covering' from those showers, im not sure about a covering! Maybe a slight caster sugar dusting but i'm not sure about a covering. I can't see either where the showers would come from, the showers near the cheshire gap as moving agonisingly slow aswell!

Posted
I thought the same thing mackerel, Darren Bett even said some places could see a 'covering' from those showers, im not sure about a covering! Maybe a slight caster sugar dusting but i'm not sure about a covering. I can't see either where the showers would come from, the showers near the cheshire gap as moving agonisingly slow aswell!

He's mocking us.

"Hahahaha, look at those pathetic cold lovers."

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Darren Bett only talks about south east - He couldnt care about the rest of the UK Only showed a chance of snow in the southern half of map.

Didnt even mention the North!

-- did u hear him earlier chance of snow coming up through france or it might hit manchester. What an idiot!

Edited by shrike

Posted

The only credance I can possibly give to overnight showers in a line from Liverpool to the Wash given what was suggested by the BBC, up until maybes lunchtime ish, is what I've scribbled here on this NW Extra chart.

post-503-1170727008_thumb.jpg

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

I just saw the sky news weather and they are still showing heavy snow for all of southern England right up to the Midlands on Thursday!

All of Southern England is covered in heavy snow with the sky weather!

Edited by shrike

Posted
I just saw the sky news weather and they are still showing heavy snow for all of southern England right up to the Midlands!

All of Southern England is covered in heavy snow with the sky weather!

I can't believe I'm saying this...(especially since I traditionally live in a much more snow-prone place)....but you lot in the south and midlands have already had your share of settling snow. It's now our turn!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

persistent snow now here, heavy too, white everywhere just absolutely fantastic, sod what happens on Thursday now, this is the be all and end all as far as I'm concerned for this location

Posted
persistent snow now here, heavy too, white everywhere just absolutely fantastic, sod what happens on Thursday now, this is the be all and end all as far as I'm concerned for this location

I have to admit, I was thinking about you...

Posted

Enjoy it, you jammy bastad.

Posted
The only credance I can possibly give to overnight showers in a line from Liverpool to the Wash given what was suggested by the BBC, up until maybes lunchtime ish, is what I've scribbled here on this NW Extra chart.

I think that will be more or less the way it will pan out :) I hope that little band of heavy ppn comes across leicestershire in the morning :) Doubt it tough! Really cold out there now! Around -3 and everywhere is white from frost, lovely site :)

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

I'm currently laughing my gnads off after watching ABC news.. Apparently N/E America is experiencing the coldest weather this decade..

That's great news.. :)

Just as they start to think about global warming.. :)

And all this in the modern winter.. Surely this has to be good news for everyone.. and starts to blow holes in this modern winter idea.. ?? or does "modern winter " apply only to the UK, used only by those that think they have it sewn up with constant temperature increases on the cards?? :)

Is that colder weather on its way here?? Could this be the start of a below average year for the UK?

The CFS is certainly showing cooler trends in the longer term.. cooler summer than what we have been used to of late for one.. but it is only a model.. things will probably change..

Posted
I can't believe I'm saying this...(especially since I traditionally live in a much more snow-prone place)....but you lot in the south and midlands have already had your share of settling snow. It's now our turn!

Where are they gettin the precip from? The heavy precip is always out in the west I cant see any even hittin the East

Posted

You partaying again Stephen?? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

IMAG0010.jpg

For a taste of what's to come for the rest of the country on Thursday (or the Midlands later on)

Posted

At least you lot in the south get the storms. I get no storms in summer anymore, and its looking like no snow in winter either.

What the fook is ganning on here.

Posted

sweet stephen - U have waited a long time for snow! Good stuff mate!

Posted
IMAG0010.jpg

For a taste of what's to come for the rest of the country on Thursday (or the Midlands later on)

Excellent picture Stephen :) Glad you have got some snow finally mate! I think that little bit of heavy PPN will fizzle out before it reaches Midlands areas later on but I'm happy that you have got some snow, and it looks like a nice little covering too :)

Posted
IMAG0010.jpg

You're cheating.. its white.. :)

Posted

No, not a flake here in the West Midlands all winter

Posted
You're cheating.. its white.. :)

now I know its been a long time since you have seen the white stuff but don't snort any!

Posted

This is what the GFS thinks will happen: -

prectypeuktopo.png

Thursday looking marginal for the south; and the heaviest precip looks like skirting to the north-west. In sum; most will miss out on snow.

I will get the light patchier scraps as usual.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

prectypeuktopo.png

Thursday looking marginal for the south; and the heaviest precip looks like skirting to the north-west. In sum; most will miss out on snow.

You posted that just to get one over on us midlanders and say that your area will see snow on thursday and we will see sleet according to the GFS :) hehe, I wouldn't like to say what I think will happen yet because it's still a few days off and lots can change still so we will say whats happening by midday Thursday :)

Posted

prectypeuktopo.png

I will get the light patchier scraps as usual.

Looks good for up North!