Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Final Vote - January Photo Competition

Posted

Welcome to the voting to select the best photo of January 2007. We're down to five finalists - thanks to all those who voted in the first round.

So, as always, there can be only one winner :help:

This competition was for photos taken during January. The winning shot will form part of the 2008 netweather.tv Calendar.

Voting will end at 12 noon Wednesday 28th February.

Voting on the February 2007 Photo Comp will then begin a few days later :lol:

Voting is as simple as simply clicking in the poll for your favourite picture. These are the photos that made it through to the final round (in alphabetical order):

Essan

gallery_1217_32_45754.jpg

Louby

gallery_1217_32_201590.jpg

Phil B

gallery_1217_32_153500.jpg

Slinky

gallery_1217_32_19052.jpg

Wibs

gallery_1217_32_57394.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

They're all great but for me it came down to Louby and Wibs, and I voted for Wibs.

Well done everyone :wallbash:

Posted

They are ALL magnificent shots :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

that was difficult this time. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

All great photos but its Louby for me this time.

I could look at that snow scene for ages. Well done Lou.

Edited by John Cox

First post here, so be gentle :rolleyes:

Gone for Wibs's image - good central composition and depth, plus fulfills the criteria of a January-themed image.

re: Louby's image - I wouldn't say it's akin to Ansel Adams' work; maybe in tone, but not necessarily in composition. It's difficult to shoot areas of interest in wooded areas without cropping some detail, which I think he/she has to the left of frame (although this could be due to the wooded areas to the left of the fallen tree - difficult to remove woods for a shot eh? :rofl: ), plus the eye is dragged to the top-left of frame, however the contrast and sharpness levels are good, maybe just a tweak in the mids to bring out the foreground snow a touch.

All in all, a good selection of work... looking forward to seeing more from you guys!

best,

//tbp

Posted

Welcome to nw and posting on the Forum tbp ;)

Posted
First post here, so be gentle ;)

Gone for Wibs's image - good central composition and depth, plus fulfills the criteria of a January-themed image.

re: Louby's image - I wouldn't say it's akin to Ansel Adams' work; maybe in tone, but not necessarily in composition. It's difficult to shoot areas of interest in wooded areas without cropping some detail, which I think he/she has to the left of frame (although this could be due to the wooded areas to the left of the fallen tree - difficult to remove woods for a shot eh? ;) ), plus the eye is dragged to the top-left of frame, however the contrast and sharpness levels are good, maybe just a tweak in the mids to bring out the foreground snow a touch.

All in all, a good selection of work... looking forward to seeing more from you guys!

best,

//tbp

Hi tbp

Welcome to NW. You'll find we're a gentle lot here. Well, some of us anyway! ;)

I agree with both your observations. Louby's shot (Louby's a she, by the way - that's her hiding behind the camera in her avatar) is very good but the eye does get drawn to the left because there is no main focal point. Like you, I think Wibs's shot ticks all the right boxes. It sums up what January should be, although most of us rarely see snow like that these days.

Yet again, a very high standard this month. The other shots are also excellent. Shame there can only be one winner. Maybe there out to be a Hall of Fame thread on the site as well as the calendar, so not only monthly winners but the other finalists can all be displayed together. Mods?

Posted

2 penneth worth ; I cannot believe there have only been 49 votes so far!

Come on, where are you? Less than 24 hours to go!

Edited by Andy Bown