Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tornado Fury Up Close

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

F4 Tornado, June 27th 1992, Fritch in Texas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2cFXBWqjKE

Stunning footage of the ferocious winds at close quarters as a strong F4 tornado comes over, destroying buildings in its path as it approaches the bloke filming - who seems to get zapped by lightning before it arrives. Film stops when it must be right overhead as it seems the windows blow in, but the bloke apperently survives the ordeal.

Also note the small suction vortices or mini funnels around the tornado which are now well documented by meteorologists as part of the tornadoes general circulation.

Posted

Some great footage there Nick. The guy must be very brave or totally nuts to carry on after the apparant lightning strike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

That was very good, i have not seen that before ether.

Cheers Nick.

Russ

Posted

Awesome! The power is amazing...... :blink: :o

As you say though, don't think I would have stayed around to watch it if I had another option available to me!

Can anyone tell me, do the 'mini funnels' play an important role in the strength or continuation of the main tornado or do they feed off it an therefore lessen its strength and longevity?

Stewart A-M

Posted
Awesome! The power is amazing...... :):)

As you say though, don't think I would have stayed around to watch it if I had another option available to me!

Can anyone tell me, do the 'mini funnels' play an important role in the strength or continuation of the main tornado or do they feed off it an therefore lessen its strength and longevity?

Stewart A-M

Hi Stewart, yes the mini tornadoes or 'suction vortices' can cause much of the extreme damage in severe tornado circulations, due to compacted energy in their tight vortices, here's a definition from NOAA:

Suction Vortex (sometimes Suction Spot) - A small but very intense vortex within a tornado circulation. Several suction vortices typically are present in a multiple-vortex tornado. Much of the extreme damage associated with violent tornadoes (F4 and F5 on the Fujita scale) is attributed to suction vortices.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Oh my days, i've seen this footage on the TV before on satelitte. Close escapes or some wierd program.

I'd seriuosly like to know what that guy was on, you just don't stand at your window with a camcorder filming a 2 tornadoes, then after getting hit by lightning simply stand up and proclaim " Urghhhhh, I got Struck! " then carry on filming the damn thing until the debris destroys your motor home and knocks you unconsious! LMAO :)

Do you think that was the real life cletus from the simpsons by any chance??? ROFL :)

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted

Nice, Everthing going on in there. Now you know where the term Stacked Plates Supercell comes from!!

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Truely an amazing supercell, lets hope you encounter a few of those before the

end of your chasing holiday Stewart..

Posted
Truely an amazing supercell, lets hope you encounter a few of those before the

end of your chasing holiday Stewart..

Thanks NL.

It woud be amazing to even have the chance of seeing something as beautiful as this! I just hope that I can also appreciate what has happened to create it.

Who knows, maybe I will even be able to learn a little of the dialect to help me understand some of what Nick and Paul are saying. :D:D

Stewart

Posted

Yeah Paul And Nick (as many others on NW) are well knowledgable in storm creation, activity,etc

so you'll be in safe hands... Tell em NO COREPUNCHIN'...!!!! :D:D

Posted
Yeah Paul And Nick (as many others on NW) are well knowledgable in storm creation, activity,etc

so you'll be in safe hands... Tell em NO COREPUNCHIN'...!!!! :):)

Yes, the aim of storm chasing is not to intentionally get into the hail core or rain core of the storms where we can't see anything around you - rather keep just out of it on the SE side of the storm where there's best photo opportunities for storm structure - and where the tornadoes usually form aswell! You need to be sensible though with these beasts that form on the plains, and know how to keep out of trouble if it looks severe by constantly looking for postioning yourself accordingly out of trouble as the storm(s) develop around/near you. Though I can't guarantee that Paul S won't want to drive us right under the Bear's Cage!

Posted
Yes, the aim of storm chasing is not to intentionally get into the hail core or rain core of the storms where we can't see anything around you - rather keep just out of it on the SE side of the storm where there's best photo opportunities for storm structure - and where the tornadoes usually form aswell! You need to be sensible though with these beasts that form on the plains, and know how to keep out of trouble if it looks severe by constantly looking for postioning yourself accordingly out of trouble as the storm(s) develop around/near you. Though I can't guarantee that Paul S won't want to drive us right under the Bear's Cage!

Bear's Cage..... Bear's Cage....... I know I saw that round here somewhere....... ahhhh, here we go

Bear's Cage

[slang], a region of storm-scale rotation, in a thunderstorm, which is wrapped in heavy precipitation. This area often coincides with a radar hook echo and/or mesocyclone, especially one associated with an HP storm. The term reflects the danger involved in observing such an area visually, which must be done at close range in low visibilit :D

ooooh, that could be a little interesting :):):)

Stewart