Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earth Tremors in Kent

Louby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

BBC have also reported that a number of calls have come in from people in Kent reporting tremors felt at approximately 08:15.

Guest Viking141

European Monitoring station now reporting 5 on the Richter Scale centered 7km SE of Ashford. Reports suggest telephonelines, gas and electricity supplies all cut.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I would rather a 4.7 every so often, than the Earth storing energy up and giving a massive quake like other parts of the world.

I have been in a 5.4 earthquake b/w, i thoroughly enjoyed the experience, the scare factor adrenalin rush was unmatchable.

Saying that i would like to point out that 5.4 is all i would like to go up too, please no higher.... :rolleyes:

Russ

Posted

Was at work this morning, sat in a chair, having a coffee, and the chair started moving side to side! Lasted for about 5-6 seconds and there was a dull rumbling noise, quite scary. Apparently Folkestone has got quite a few chimneys down and gas main problems. Certainly woke a few people up, but thankfully no major problems, but it will give us something to talk about for a few days!

Posted

Was awake at the time but didnt feel it, will be on alert for after shocks :rolleyes:

We did feel the Dudley earthquake down here in NE London, it made quite a racket as things in draws and on shelves rattled.

Joe :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Nothing felt here, but we're 30+miles from the epicentre. Also we live pretty close to a railway line which can rumble through the ground when trains pass, so could miss-take a tremor for that if it did.

Posted

I imagine the earthquake in East Kent was caused by a slippage along a fault line in the bedrock. There is apparently some well-known fault lines running through the Dover Straits, remembering back my days of learning geology of the area. I guess the Channel Tunnel and Dungeness Nuclear Plant were designed to withstand a certain amount of movement of the ground in this respect, if they weren't i'd be worried!

Posted

Its been worrying as we have a house and family right there in Folkestone. Been on the phone to the local shopkeeper who went to look at the house for us, apparently our street is closed and few chimneys down although the next street has most chimneys down and someone died from shock. Seen pics of the nearby streets on the news.

Edited by xxsnowflakexx

Posted

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/recent_ev...ert_info_uk.htm

This is the largest event detected in the region since a magnitude 4.4 ML earthquake in 1950. Large earthquakes have also occurred in the region in the historical past in 1382 (magnitude 5. :rolleyes: , 1580 (magnitude 5. :) and 1776 (magnitude 4.1).

lol: @ :)

Edited by Mondy