Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earth Tremors in Kent

Louby

Posted

Ah but what if this happened in Scotland Monds, would we have heard anything about it :rolleyes: Probably not !!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

The one in Dudley was great. I was just thinking about going to bed and the place shook pretty violently.

I think that was about 4.9/50o on the scale.

Kain

Posted
Earthquake? In Britain? Nah. Impossible.

:wallbash:

we have had em persion abeit small but we have had em check out the BGS history

Edited by biddie

Posted

Thanks for the link greyowl, have filled it in and sent it off! No damage to our house, thank goodness, the dog was a bit anxious this morning, but he's calmed down now.

It's given everyone something to talk about though!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
Earthquake? In Britain? Nah. Impossible.

:)

So the Earth has never moved for you yet PP?... shame.. never mind.... maybe you'll meet the right person one day.

I remember, and felt, the North Wales 5.4 quake of 1984 and the 5.1 Bishop's Castle Shropshire, 1990

Can't recall the Warwick one 4.2, 2000 but the nearest was the Dudley one of 5.0 on 22nd Sept 2002.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2328911.stm

It didn't seem to make much headline news at the time because most local people are used to the rumblings caused by their partners having consumed too much Banks's beer the night before.

The fact that the Kent earthquake has happened South of Watford Gap is reason why this has been headline news all day and will have blanket coverage in all tomorrows Sundays'. I understand a woman in Folkestone has hurt her neck.

Being serious the UK does have it's fair share of earthquakes.

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/macroseis...mic_surveys.htm

Edited by kar999

Posted

Some way over the top reporting on BBC news tonight. Continually referring to a quake rather than a tremor. It also seems as though a fireman suffered a fall of soot from his chimney as a result!

Oh! the humanity!

Dave :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I have experienced an earthquake too, the epicentre was in Taunton, it only made the ceiling light shades move a bit and the houseplants quiver. There was a fairly loud rumble though. Think it may of been back around 2001/2, not entirely sure.

Posted

I don't understand what people were doing phoning the police - what are they going to do? Come and stand on your lawn to make sure it doesn't bugger off?

As for the news/media reporting.....well, there is a thread over on serious discussion about headline news v important news

Roll on the Sunday redtops, eh?!

*cynical mode off

Edited by Mondy

Posted
I don't understand what people were doing phoning the police - what are they going to do? Come and stand on your lawn to make sure it doesn't bugger off?

As for the news/media reporting.....well, there is a thread over on serious discussion about headline news v important news

Roll on the Sunday redtops, eh?!

*cynical mode off

nearly as bad as a bit of poo in the Firth Mondy

Posted
nearly as bad as a bit of poo in the Firth Mondy

:(

Totally agree, the news coverage is totally over the top. And I am equally confused as to why some people called the police :)

Posted
Exactly (( :) ))

pah!! a bit of Scottish pooh? what about the soot in the poor fireman's living room?

Whingeing Scots :(

Dave

Posted
:(

Totally agree, the news coverage is totally over the top. And I am equally confused as to why some people called the police :)

You'd be surprised what people ring the police for; in this case I think it's fairly reasonable - what else would you do it something untoward, unexpected and previously unknown had happened? They may not be best placed to answer, but there's a lot of others far less well placed below them on the list.

Posted
You'd be surprised what people ring the police for; in this case I think it's fairly reasonable - what else would you do it something untoward, unexpected and previously unknown had happened? They may not be best placed to answer, but there's a lot of others far less well placed below them on the list.

Yep. Apparently this old woman from Birmingham rang the police because she couldn't find her remote. Apparently she wanted to watch Coronation Street.

(Poor cow)

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

It looks like the Chanel fault, which the English channel (formerly the river Rhine during the ice age) flowes down is still active then :)

Is that right? .... I seem to remember being told this at school many years ago.

Russ

Posted
It looks like the Chanel fault, which the English channel (formerly the river Rhine during the ice age) flowes down is still active then :)

Is that right? .... I seem to remember being told this at school many years ago.

Russ

Have a look on the BGS website Russ it tells you all about it.

Posted
Have a look on the BGS website Russ it tells you all about it.

Thanks Greyowl, I have had a look but it does not say anything about a Channel fault, but did point out that this is a normal event basically.

Russ

Posted
Thanks Greyowl, I have had a look but it does not say anything about a Channel fault, but did point out that this is a normal event basically.

Russ

Sorry Russ it was a chap from the BGS talking about the fault on tv.

This is a bit closer to you and connected with the quake they say.

From BBC news website. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/6603547.stm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Just found out about this on the radio. I would love to experience one, providing it wasn't a major one.

Clicky.

Edited by Stelmer

Posted

The one in the early eighties in North Wales was good i felt it in Cheshire, the swaying side to side was pretty weird, I will never forget it. My brother was at Anglesey on holiday at the time of the quake and felt nothing B) he didn't find out till the teachers told them in the afternoon as one of them herd it on the radio in the car!

Russ

Posted
I remember that well! Shook the house and the rumbles... well you'd have to experience an earthquake because I can't describe it!

Here's the report...

SEISMIC ALERT: BRIDGWATER, SOMERSET 29 JANUARY 2004 10:56 & 20:23 UTC

My time perception is rubbish B) . 2001/2, what the hell am I going on about? Yes, it obviously was only very slight this far away but it was certainly odd nonetheless, the rumbling almost sounds like a low rumble of thunder and the fact that the lamp shades were being moved along with the houseplants was incredibly surreal to see. My parents felt nothing downstairs but I was upstairs at the time and felt the slight tremor.