Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Photo competition

Posted

Okay: weather forum; weather calendar; involve members; weather photographs... so far, so good.

But then, there are so many good photographs being taken, & NW is such a friendly place, & we all like sharing; & seasonal photographs are related to weather, sort of, and then certain animals, birds, etc., are more or less symbolic of certain types of weather...

There has to be a line drawn. Working on the assumption that the primary purpose of the competition is to compile a calendar which reflects NW's identity, and to give us all a bit of fun and some motivation for taking more pictures and looking at the world around us more carefully, it is perfectly reasonable to require that the monthly competition should be about the weather. Perhaps it can be re-named 'monthly weather photo competition', to avoid confusion.

As there are so many keen and talented photographers on the site who, unfortunately, might not see any interesting, characteristic or seasonal weather, or live far away from the bucolic charms or pastoral landscapes, then a 'general' photo competition is surely a good idea. If it doesn't take off, fine, but this will allow all of us more chance to join in.

As an aside: I have always 'judged' the entries in the photo comp. on 3 criteria: Is it technically sound, or even creative? Does it reflect the month just gone specifically (will it remind me in future of the weather that month?), and does it show compositional, creative, artistic or original talent in the photographer? But the key is the middle one: photos which succeed in doing this, even if there are others which are 'photographically' or 'artistically' better, will always win out in my eyes. Of course, this is just another way of saying that I pick the pictures I like, same as everyone else.

Last point. I enjoy joining in, with little expectation of winning, ever. If it all gets too serious, the enjoyment will get lost. Why do we subscribe to NW?

I'm with the mods on this one.

:)P

Posted

Oh. I didn't mean to start this. All I was concerned with was how and where you draw the line and who actually makes that decision (obviously not someone who is entering the competition themselves otherwise that is likely to cause more controversy).

A separate contest sounds like a good idea though, I love all the wildlife photos and even the landscape ones where the focus is scenery irrelevant of the weather. In fact I just love photos :D

Posted

P3 - I don't think there is any argument with the mods. I totally agree that pictures for a weather calendar should be weather-related.

I was merely pointing out the difficulties in defining what is or isn't weather-related, as did others. And again several of us would not like to see people stop posting general pictures because they give so many people enjoyment. Hence the suggestions for a separate competition for them. I think that would keep everyone happy. :D

I love photos, too, flaggie. And I love seeing how everyone has a different way of looking at the world and capturing it, whatever the subject.

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

Err, can someone please explain to me what's going on, OON.

Posted

Can I just add, For me, i'm now holding back, simply as my equipment does'nt have a hope in hell against high-end equipment being used.

So maybe a Digital compact section and a dSLR section with an ANALOG section too?

Posted
Can I just add, For me, i'm now holding back, simply as my equipment does'nt have a hope in hell against high-end equipment being used.

So maybe a Digital compact section and a dSLR section with an ANALOG section too?

No don't! Honestly I have seen somereally good photos taken with compacts and some atrocious ones taken on dSLRs. Spending money doesn't always equal good photos :)

Posted

I agree with flagpole, rixxx. It doesn't necessarily depend on the quality of the equipment, it's how you use it - as the saying goes... :)

Seriously, I bet if you asked people what cameras they used for specific photos you would be surprised by the answers in many cases. And you shouldn't hold back from entering at all. You have taken some fantastic pictures. I remember voting for you in the past, and more than once I'm sure. A great shot is a great shot, whatever it was taken on.

Posted
Your photos must be pretty good mustn't they? What is it....a Canon something or other?

Aww you are getting nothing if not predictable in your old age Hun.

Thanks Blackie, you put it so much better than me :good:

Posted

I agree with the notion for pictures to be weather related, although also agree

that in certain situations/seasonal shots it could be rather a vague definition.

I shall continue to look out for scenes that I believe to be competition worthy,

whether they get voted for or not is down to the NW democracy!