Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Time Team Going To Barra

Posted
Having recently returned from an excellent sojourn on Barra, the general concensus of the Islanders was that they greeted the announcement of Time Team's impending dig with a little trepidation, due to the 'quick in, quick out' image that Time Team have.

Having now experienced the dig, the majority of Barra residents were impressed by Time Team's respect for the ancient graveyard that they uncovered, to the extent that the local priest was present, holding a short service, whilst the bones were being removed & transported. Time Team have committed to re - inter the bones following research.

Time Team also involved the local schoolchildren in the dig, experimenting in firing pottery from local clay using local peat for the 'furnace.'

I for one look forward to the broadcast of this dig in January 2008.

They've had to clean up their act quite a bit over the years (they never used to have post exacavation written into their ridiculously huge budgets and used to just down tools on day three and leave it for the poor locals to sort out). Also everything was done for the camera, rather than for the knowledge, and that got very wearing for the rest of the archaeology world. Having helped to sort out their mess three times, I don't have a lot of time for them.

It might be great TV, but it certainly isn't often good archaeology and has driven the majority in the trade barmy: it has also lost them a lot of their original staff, who got really disillusioned. They are generally a group of people who are in it for the fame, and who really were not much in the archaeology world and still aren't. For example, Mick was paid to wear his stripey jumper and was sent home if he didn't have it. Same goes for Phil, whose hat became a paid fixture.

One of the old permanent crew is a very good friend of mine who was bullied out her job because she refused to say what they wanted. I once ended up being dragged down to Bristol with my colleagues where we were threatened with a 'turf war' (I kid you not) if we refused to let them claim our research had actually been done by them.

In the past, I've written reports for them, but I wouldn't again. Luckily the ratings are plummetting and it's unlikely to be about for much longer.

They've had to clean up their act quite a bit over the years (they never used to have post exacavation written into their ridiculously huge budgets and used to just down tools on day three and leave it for the poor locals to sort out). Also everything was done for the camera, rather than for the knowledge, and that got very wearing for the rest of the archaeology world. Having helped to sort out their mess three times, I don't have a lot of time for them.

It might be great TV, but it certainly isn't often good archaeology and has driven the majority in the trade barmy: it has also lost them a lot of their original staff, who got really disillusioned. They are generally a group of people who are in it for the fame, and who really were not much in the archaeology world and still aren't. For example, Mick was paid to wear his stripey jumper and was sent home if he didn't have it. Same goes for Phil, whose hat became a paid fixture.

One of the old permanent crew is a very good friend of mine who was bullied out her job because she refused to say what they wanted. I once ended up being dragged down to Bristol with my colleagues where we were threatened with a 'turf war' (I kid you not) if we refused to let them claim our research had actually been done by them.

In the past, I've written reports for them, but I wouldn't again. Luckily the ratings are plummetting and it's unlikely to be about for much longer.

A most enlightening and somewhat surprising peek behind the scenes.In the job I do I get to see behind the scenes of local news and the filming of historical dramas............that's showbiz as they say!Rather a let down :lol:

Posted
A most enlightening and somewhat surprising peek behind the scenes.In the job I do I get to see behind the scenes of local news and the filming of historical dramas............that's showbiz as they say!Rather a let down :lol:

Sorry about that: the one good thing I can say is that it has helped to give people a more realistic view of what archaeology entails (i.e. it's more about JCBs than paint brushes). It also means people never asked me 'had I found any gold yet', but instead, 'had we geophysed yet'!!!!

I would say that the best prog about archaeology is 'meet the ancestors': OK, it's a bit of a one trick pony, but they are exactly what they say they are and Julian R never tries to steal the limelight. In fact most of what appears on BBC2 is the real deal, as they do tend to contact people rather than just do it and check that it's right later!

I will be watching the Barra one though as Mike Parker Pearson took part and he always has outlandish ideas about ritual which he tends to test out on telly before he tries them out on the rest of us!!!!

Sorry about that: the one good thing I can say is that it has helped to give people a more realistic view of what archaeology entails (i.e. it's more about JCBs than paint brushes). It also means people never asked me 'had I found any gold yet', but instead, 'had we geophysed yet'!!!!

I would say that the best prog about archaeology is 'meet the ancestors': OK, it's a bit of a one trick pony, but they are exactly what they say they are and Julian R never tries to steal the limelight. In fact most of what appears on BBC2 is the real deal, as they do tend to contact people rather than just do it and check that it's right later!

I will be watching the Barra one though as Mike Parker Pearson took part and he always has outlandish ideas about ritual which he tends to test out on telly before he tries them out on the rest of us!!!!

Now that is also an excellent programme.....I had no illusions archaeology was glamourous however as we have visited Vindolanda often in the past and usualy saw some poor sod scratching his bum up to his knees in mud being harrassed by flies :lol:

Edited by hannegan

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Is it just my opinion or has this been the best Time Team series for years? Even last night's - which had some inconclusive results - managed to find lots of amazing finds!