Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

May 07

Posted

Does anyone know the highest temperature recorded so far this month across the UK??

Thanks in anticipation.

Al

Posted

I'll give you a rough idea to start, as I routinely look at the Metoffice site for the daily maximum. I think it was 26 C late last week. I don't remember exactly where, southeast England somewhere, and it was probably Thursday 24th. Can't recall any higher readings earlier in the month.

Posted

It was late last week in Gravesend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Was indeed Gravesend, also holds the UK record Max jointly with somewhere I believe, 101f odd. Cant understand why that location often gets such high temps, Gravesend is on the Thames Estuary and can be a bit breezy sometimes, would have thought somewhere more inland would get higher temps, often does better then the London Weather centre by a whisker in spite of all the aditional heat that one associates with London. I wonder where the weather station is actually situated there?

Posted

WMO 03786

GRAVESEND

51º 26' N

000º 23' E

5.0m elevation

Can anyone convert that to a map?!!

Interesting discussions on other forums about how the siting of this particluar station is a bit dubious. Anyone got further details?

Posted

I think that neither the London Weather Centre (rooftop site so breaks various siting criteria) or "Gravesend" (due to several questionably high readings in recent years) is treated as an "official" site these days- hence they appear in italics on the climate-uk summaries.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
WMO 03786

GRAVESEND

51º 26' N

000º 23' E

5.0m elevation

Can anyone convert that to a map?!!

Interesting discussions on other forums about how the siting of this particluar station is a bit dubious. Anyone got further details?

Dubious locaton you say, well I wouldnt be at all surprised. One of my ex's is from Gravesend so I know the town realy well, the temp readings in my car would usually go up a degree or so when I came back this way towards London (25 min drive) so I'v always been a bit dubious re the temp reading down there.

Of course the Londoners in Victorian times used to go there on holiday and Liners would depart from the docks, Dott Cotton was meant to have retired there before she came back to East Enders :cc_confused: Would this be due to the clemency of climate I wonder though? Did Mill workers go to Blackpool because of the balmy weather?

I think that neither the London Weather Centre (rooftop site so breaks various siting criteria) or "Gravesend" (due to several questionably high readings in recent years) is treated as an "official" site these days- hence they appear in italics on the climate-uk summaries.

You sure? This just gets worse and worse! :cc_confused:

Posted

Here in Newcastle we have not recorded 70 degrees at all this month, does anyone know what the maximum temperature for May has been, and how this compares to the average maximum we normally record.

I certainly think that 70 degrees has been recorded in the majority of the last few May's. It seems quite strange coming after the record breaking April that we haven't recorded such a value.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
26.8C London/Gravesend ?

Is this still the highest temperature of the year so far???