Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Space Shuttle Link.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: c'mon thunder

thanks for the link Brian! although FOX news covered it also,

Perfect launch, Gotta see and hear one of these one day, although how big a contribution to climate change etc. do these launches make? an olympic size swimming pool of fuel every second or something is it???

Posted
thanks for the link Brian! although FOX news covered it also,

Perfect launch, Gotta see and hear one of these one day, although how big a contribution to climate change etc. do these launches make? an olympic size swimming pool of fuel every second or something is it???

Hi mezzacyclone :D

Yes it is always a big relief to see a safe launch. I think it is quite nerve racking just watching it,

so goodness knows what it would be like for those in there.

Yes I agree it is an astonishing amount of fuel it uses.

My pleasure posting the link, I just thought that not everyone has sky or or can't get access to

a t.v. if they are at work and want to watch it.

Glad you enjoyed it

Regards Brian.

Posted

The STS main boosters each use 500 tons of ammonium perchlorate composite fuel - a mixture of ammonium perchlorate, aluminium, iron oxide and a binding polymer.

This produces at maximum some 1500 tons of thrust each with combustion products comprising 4 parts aluminium oxide (why the smoke looks white), 12 parts water vapour, 3 parts nitrogen and 3 parts chlorine.

The main engines burn some 730 tons of propellant comprising liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen as the oxydiser. producing water vapour as the combustion by-product.

The Orbital Maneuvering thrusters burn about 20 tons of hydrazine compound and reactant producing 9 parts nitrogen, 12 parts water vapour and 3 parts carbon dioxide.

From a GW perspective, a space shuttle mission produces less greenhouse gases than say the average UK family in a few months.

ffO.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Shuttle re-entry burn about to begin in about 15 mins.

Listen and watch live here.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/live_tv.html

Posted

Shuttle down safely at 1732

Posted

Had no idea that it flew upside down and backwards whilst re-entering the atmosphere. That must have been erm.., exciting for the crew!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Thats silly, I am not surprised it blows up sometimes :)

Posted
Had no idea that it flew upside down and backwards whilst re-entering the atmosphere. That must have been erm.., exciting for the crew!

It does not "fly"(in space), nor does it "flew upside down and backwards whilst re-entering the atmosphere."

It is positioned in space with the tail pointing toward the ground and going backwards so that when it does it's re-entry burn it tilts over so that it then points forward. This is for the very technical reason, quite similar to modern day aircraft, so that the pilots - who are at the front of the aircraft(the pointy end - same as the shuttle you may have noticed?!)can see where they are going. This is very helpful during landing - 'seeing' where you are going.

I don't know what planes you guys have been on, but have you ever known the pilots at the back and upside down......perleeeease.

Andy

Posted

Well you seem to know what you're talking about Andy :o

Clearly the woman on News24 who mentioned 'flying backwards upside down over the Pacific' was talking out of her proverbial?!

The best thing was, with about 2 mins to go before touch-down she commented 'oh it seems to be flying normally now'. And that I suppose ought to have raised my suspicions :o

Posted
Well you seem to know what you're talking about Andy :wub:

Clearly the woman on News24 who mentioned 'flying backwards upside down over the Pacific' was talking out of her proverbial?!

The best thing was, with about 2 mins to go before touch-down she commented 'oh it seems to be flying normally now'. And that I suppose ought to have raised my suspicions :wub:

Shuggee, don't you just love these news reporters? I suppose she was expecting shuttle to in down tail down and what? Flip over in the final two minutes.........?

Lovely.