Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Michael Fish on Talksport

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but......

I have just finished listening to an interview with Michael Fish and Philip Stott on Talksport and I know that Michael Fish has an affiliation with this website, and he is one of my favourite weathermen ever, but he came across as totally uninformed and short-sighted in this debate. It was as though he was reading from a propaganda sheet.

Some of the things that astonished me was his assertion that we were still in the middle of a strong El Nino, despite Professor Stott telling him it was a La Nina, his reliance on the CO2 levels on climate forcing, despite P. Stott telling him that climate led the CO2. He even stated with authority that despite the summer being the 'wettest on record', temperatures were still 'well above average". :)

As I said, I fear that he was reading from a script written for him by those with a vested interest in the debate.

Very disappointed. :)

Posted

I have enormous respect for Mr Fish and, like you, think he is one of the best broadcast meteorologists Britain has seen.

However, I do get the feeling that, since retirement, he has tended to cash in somewhat on this AGW topic. I believe he has been advising Downing St recently, or at least he said that he would in the not too distant past. if I can put not to fine a point on it, Mr Fish certainly knows which side his bread is buttered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
I'm not sure if this is in the right place but......

I have just finished listening to an interview with Michael Fish and Philip Stott on Talksport and I know that Michael Fish has an affiliation with this website, and he is one of my favourite weathermen ever, but he came across as totally uninformed and short-sighted in this debate. It was as though he was reading from a propaganda sheet.

Some of the things that astonished me was his assertion that we were still in the middle of a strong El Nino, despite Professor Stott telling him it was a La Nina, his reliance on the CO2 levels on climate forcing, despite P. Stott telling him that climate led the CO2. He even stated with authority that despite the summer being the 'wettest on record', temperatures were still 'well above average". :lol:

As I said, I fear that he was reading from a script written for him by those with a vested interest in the debate.

Very disappointed. :lol:

How bad is that! At least he should get some facts right. Yep Nick is right re butter/side etc

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Did'nt hear Mr Fish, but did listen to P Scott. Some interesting stuff he was talking about, and basically backs up my theory, that man made globel warming is a load of rubbish.

I liked the bit about super volcano's, where it's a classic example of how self important Humans think they are, if one of these pops you could kiss goodby to a large proportion of life on this planet, and any worry about how we are damaging it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm not in a position to judge strongly as I didn't hear it. However, it does sound to me as if Philip Stott is something of an 'AGW denier', as well as Michael Fish having headed over to the other extreme.

CO2 follows climate, but that doesn't necessarily mean that climate can't follow CO2- there could well be a positive feedback between the two, as is backed up by some of the climate graphs. The Earth's climate is full of positive and negative feedback loops that help to keep the climate in relative equilibrium.

I also question the context of temperatures being 'well above average'. If Michael Fish says temperatures in the UK have been well above average this summer, he is wrong, but if he's talking about the global average temperature, then he is right. Summer 2007 is likely to rank among the top few warmest on record, averaged globally.

Anyone see Micheal Fish on the ONE show tonight., he was explaining the reasons for the washout summer.

He said it was due to 2 reasons

1 El Nino Causing the Jet Stream to be further south than normal

2 La Nina Causing More Westerly winds.

Seems Very Strange to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I didn't notice that slip of the tongue- I mustn't have been listening strongly enough!

I'm not convinced that La Nina has as big an effect on our weather as Michael Fish suggested, but I agreed 100% with his points with regards the jetstream.