Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will you be S.A.D. this winter?

Gray-Wolf

Posted
I actually seem to feel more cheerful in the winter. I don't like waking up at 5am and have sun streaming through the curtains, and i enjoy waking up to fog or frost in the mornings, and as unlikely as it may be, snow.

im never sad at winter for these reasons :)

saint :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember reading an online survey of the effects of the mild wet winter quarter of 1994/95 on tourism and industry, which assumed that the mild winter and relative lack of snow in most areas would have reduced the incidence of SAD. I see that assumption quite a lot, that cold snowy weather causes winter depression.

In reality, winter temperature is unlikely to be negatively correlated with SAD. Indeed, occurrence of SAD is likely to be negatively related to snow cover, because the snow cover reflects sunlight, and there are sources that back this up.

Winter 1994/95 itself probably will have had below average SAD incidence, but not because it was mild- rather, it will have been because many parts of Britain had above average sunshine. I don't fancy the chances of a winter that was mild, wet and also dull being good for reducing the winter depression.

I very much agree with Botteford about people being stuck indoors at work- the importance of having an avenue to the outdoors, even if it's just through an office window, tends to be somewhat underestimated.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes TWS - temperature is much less of a factor than sunlight in causing SAD or general fed up moods. It's an obvious correlation since humans are programmed to think of the Sun as the giver of life and thus be a good thing. For the same reason, I'd say most people prefer summer simply due to how living conditions become easier - traditionally more food, less fuel needed for heating (less trees to chop down!) and feeling more comfortable. This is perhaps less pronounced these days as we can hide from the weather more in our heated homes and cars and food is no less scarce in the winter months. In fact we eat more in winter - a comfort thing in order to feel better. Chocolate release serotonin which is why we enjoy it so much - perhaps more so in winter. Bit OT but this is why people enjoy the drug Ecstacy so much since it releases vast amounts of serotonin all at once (and prevents reuptake too - the brain both releases & recovers it continuosly).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I was looking through how climate change was affecting the folk in Greenland (and their hopes for independence) and the locals made it quite clear that suicide was one of the major problems up there. They reckoned everyone knew someone who had taken their own life. I've read similar about other 'Nordic' countries too so S.A.D. in the extreme can be devastating on a person and their state of mind!

If the importance of Vitamin D (mainly produce by exposure to sunlight) and it's impact on long term health is bourne out by further research then there is also a physical malady associated with reduced sunlight and not just the mental impact.

Edited by Gray-Wolf

• 2 months later...
Posted

So, how we doing?

As we approach the darkest end of the year are any of you experiencing more lethargy in the run up to christmas?

Have many of you suffered more, and more long lasting, instances of cold and flu so far this autumn/early winter?

I think many S.A.D. sufferers have to wait until Jan before their 'worst period' (maybe Chrimbo props them up and then when the hullaballo dies down they sag down?) but are any of our 'sufferers' ahead of times this year?

Love to hear if this summer did more to us than ruin a few planned Barbies!

Posted
I was looking through how climate change was affecting the folk in Greenland (and their hopes for independence) and the locals made it quite clear that suicide was one of the major problems up there. They reckoned everyone knew someone who had taken their own life. I've read similar about other 'Nordic' countries too so S.A.D. in the extreme can be devastating on a person and their state of mind!

Thats probably more to do with the fact that there is sod all to do up there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well I can certainly feel the grimness of this end of the year. I had a dreadful November with many, many things going wrong all at once - perhaps my sluggish brain contributing to said disasters!

Of late I'm tired a lot more, more prone to sitting around doing nothing & definitely eating more and eating less healthily. Chocolate intake is at least double what it is in summer and my pizza count is up too! My fiance is exactly the same too.

Christmas is the one good thing at this time of year - and my god it's a good job it falls in mid winter (imagine xmas in summer - all good stuff at one end of the year and nothing but gloom for 6 months the other end!) . I think November can be bad for SAD sufferers (which tbh is perhaps 60-70% of people and prob 90% of animals) as it's just after the clocks change and its dark mid afternoon suddenly.

January is not something I'm looking forward to that's for sure!

Well I can certainly feel the grimness of this end of the year. I had a dreadful November with many, many things going wrong all at once - perhaps my sluggish brain contributing to said disasters!

Of late I'm tired a lot more, more prone to sitting around doing nothing & definitely eating more and eating less healthily. Chocolate intake is at least double what it is in summer and my pizza count is up too! My fiance is exactly the same too.

Christmas is the one good thing at this time of year - and my god it's a good job it falls in mid winter (imagine xmas in summer - all good stuff at one end of the year and nothing but gloom for 6 months the other end!) . I think November can be bad for SAD sufferers (which tbh is perhaps 60-70% of people and prob 90% of animals) as it's just after the clocks change and its dark mid afternoon suddenly.

January is not something I'm looking forward to that's for sure!

The worst thing to do of course is to sit around and eat bad, makes it a lot worse. I don't really get SAD - I'm just miserable all year round, lol. But eating well and exercising is very good for the mind. Christmas is good, but can be stressful. The most stressful time of the year apparently.

Posted

True - eating well & exercising does help but its generally unappealing going outside unless you have to (which gladly I do for to/from work cycle). It's much easier in summer to get exercise as you do a lot more outdoor activities and are happier to go further afield walking/cycling when its warmer. Also you want to eat less when it's hot & much more when its cold.

Back to original topic of thread - has this summer made this winter seem worse - then yes it certainly has. Seems so very, very long ago I enjoyed a run of nice warm, sunny days and warm sultry nights sat outside at midnight with a cool beer - aaahhhhhhhh.....

Posted

I usually suffer quite badly from it in the winter, with the symptoms ranging from being generally morose and irritable to almost being unable to function at any level. This year, however, I seem to have escaped any effects so far. I imagine this is either to do with it being a good deal more sunny this winter, me having an office so I actually get out every day, or Wibs moving to Appleby.

Posted

Cant say I have ever suffered from sad but I sure feel low at present having contracted some wreched bug which has kept me in the house and off the golf course for over a week. High temperatures etc--what I need folks is loadsa sympathy-PLEASE.

Posted

Not suffered too much from SAD this year like I normally do. Must be the frosty 'seasonal' weather we've been getting here. However, I suffer from borderline clinical depression ( I have done since childhood) and it's difficult sometimes to separate out what is SAD and what is my more general disposition.

Regards,

Mike.

P.S. Get well soon, Rollo! :)

Posted
I usually suffer quite badly from it in the winter, with the symptoms ranging from being generally morose and irritable to almost being unable to function at any level.

But you haven't differentiated how that differs from normal.......

Oon, try a product that has been advertised here on NW: Bodyclock SUNRAY-100

Posted

The sunny, frost weather this year has certainly helped - last Dec there was no sunshine for 3 weeks! But, of course, we'd just come out of superb sunny summer and a very warm autumn so I was pretty well charged up on good weather at that point! Then a dull, wet (and mild) winter followed then a lovely warm, sunny spring before the horrendous wet & cold summer...

Posted
Oon, try a product that has been advertised here on NW: Bodyclock SUNRAY-100

I bought one! The more expensive model, of course, and also got a big stupid SAD lamp, both of which clearly work as I'm a really happy chap nowadays.

Posted

My mum has suffered year in, year out, with depression and because it happens this time of the year, it's the S.A.D form of depression, until this year when, with the investment of £134 into a special light lamp (which is extremely bright) has totally cured her.

Where she would normally take to her bed or may be the sofa and shun people away (social phobia) she is now living a normal life. This form of depression MUST have a great deal to do with this darkness and light problem.

Mentioning no names but she is even educating her local GP on where to get hold of them as he wants one for another of his patients. I've told mum to start a campaign (at least in Wales, The Welsh Assembly) to allow sufferers on low incomes or may be everybody who has this problem to be allowed access to these boxes, on loan etc rather than be drugged up on anti-depressants that sometimes don't work due to the trial and error nature of "getting the right drug". Also within a week of using the Light box she felt a great deal better, anti-depressants do have a tendency to take many more weeks to work, if at all.

It is amazing that such a simple thing like the use of light can cure such a complicated ailment, but they do say simplicity is sometimes always the best way to solve problems. So, if you are suffering depression (lethargy, social phobia, feeling down about evreything etc) this time of the year and may be you've noticed a pattern of suffering at this time of the year in past years I would recommend the use of these light boxes. :p:)

Andy

Posted

Interesting most people seem to be better than normal. I am also much better. Barely noticed it except in November. And just as I brought my sad lamp in August too!!Long live the high pressure just for the sun!

Posted
I'm the same - I'm much more irritable in the summer as well as the winter, with spring and autumn showing peaks too.

They've even bought me a Mr Grumpy badge (which I actually wear with pride) as a mark of my irratability with the world in general.......we up the light levels (by 10000watts) from mid nov untill mid Jan which (in both lounges) to keep the kids and us from slipping into a drudge.

Posted
They've even bought me a Mr Grumpy badge (which I actually wear with pride) as a mark of my irratability with the world in general.......we up the light levels (by 10000watts) from mid nov untill mid Jan which (in both lounges) to keep the kids and us from slipping into a drudge.

Hope you have your own wind turbine!

I have to say I am nowhere near as bad as usual this year and haven't used my lamp once. I just hope it keeps going. Shortest day soon too so that is a bit of a milestone :p

Posted

I'm noticing I'm well tired this week in the mornings - prob as it's been grey for days & days now. Was much better last week with the ample sunshine and fantastic sunrises. This kind of weather at this time of year just wants to make you go back to bed...

I'll never forget the period where I was awake and lively every morning for work (a staggering feat!) - the mornings of July 2006 when I was cycling to work in shorts and it was 22c at 8:30am.... oops - torturing myself again!

Posted
Hope you have your own wind turbine!

Is the Sikh headgear to advertise my flatulence or will it help?