Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will you be S.A.D. this winter?

Gray-Wolf

• 10 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

After another summer of low light/Sunshine I thought I'd see how things are for folk as we trawl into the darkest depths of winter 08/09. Seeing as I've already been 'flattened' by two colds since September I'm hoping that things will now improve and we'll have a few weeks of anticyclonic sunshine to compensate for all my summer losses......and of course a bit of the 'white stuff' would boost light levels...LOL

Posted
After another summer of low light/Sunshine I thought I'd see how things are for folk as we trawl into the darkest depths of winter 08/09. Seeing as I've already been 'flattened' by two colds since September I'm hoping that things will now improve and we'll have a few weeks of anticyclonic sunshine to compensate for all my summer losses......and of course a bit of the 'white stuff' would boost light levels...LOL

Hate it -- really, really gets me down and feeling lethargic!! :(

Today is a right-off ...dark, wet and cold: give me cold crisp anticyclonic weather please.

The long dark evenings and days are the worst thing about living in the UK. Conversely the best is a country pub with a roaring log fire.

Posted

I just wonder weather a lot of this S A D is to do with the way that mankind has evolved, IE people with more Mediterranean and African and northern mixes suffer more than those with more northern or even southern mixes just a thought

Posted
I just wonder weather a lot of this S A D is to do with the way that mankind has evolved, IE people with more Mediterranean and African and northern mixes suffer more than those with more northern or even southern mixes just a thought

Seems logical though the high winter suicide rates in places like Finland don't really back it up.

My ancestors came to the Uk from Iceland about 300 yrs ago (and I'm fairly SAD!), before moving on to NZ in the 1930s.

Posted
Seems logical though the high winter suicide rates in places like Finland don't really back it up.

My ancestors came to the Uk from Iceland about 300 yrs ago (and I'm fairly SAD!), before moving on to NZ in the 1930s.

but of what ethnic origins where the poor people who committed suicide

• 1 year later...
Posted

Above is an hour long natter (by a doctor) on what Vit D is and how it is easy to become Vit D deficient over winter in the higher latitudes. We know that Sunshine ,over spring/summer/autumn, leads to production of vit D in the skin (and allows the uptake of Vit. C) so does the lack of Vit .D play a part in S.A.D. (along with the reduced light levels)?

Maybe a little controversial in his approach but it had me thinking about upping my Vit. D this winter!!! (and not just the ole' cod liver oil either!!!).

Posted

I think I do suffer from SAD.

Its not simply a Vitamin D issue (although this is important). Its also to do with the amount of light that your body receives and this influences the hypothalamus.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yes, I'm already starting to go downhill. I could do with some snow!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I think I do suffer from SAD.

Its not simply a Vitamin D issue (although this is important). Its also to do with the amount of light that your body receives and this influences the hypothalamus.

After several years of suffering with excruciating intermitting headaches i was finally diagnosed with a rare condition called 'cluster headache' (or the 'suicide headache') which effects around 1 in a 1000 people. Studies are unclear to what causes these attacks but because the attacks usually strike around spring or autumn it is thought that seasonal changes influence the hypothalamus causing it to release chemicals such as histamines and serotonin. My headaches strike around the last week of September through October and usually lasts around 6 weeks i now take self administrating injections to relieve the pain. Whether or not this can be classed as S.A.D i dont know but i do remain pretty gloomy over the winter months.

Posted

Yes, I'm already starting to go downhill. I could do with some snow!

Sunny days and snow-covered ground does actually help me ;)

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Sunny days and snow-covered ground does actually help me ;)

Me too! I just haven't seen to many of them of-late... ;)

In the mean time, you can buy four tins of Tuna Chunks for £2, and fish and chips for £1 at the local Co-op... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Well the shortest day is here so not long before the nights start drawing out again (yeahclap.gif ).

Even with the worst of winter to come I find that solstice is definately 'a corner turned' for me!

Happy Solstice folksdrinks.gif !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I love the short winter days, so this is a sad day for me :(

Posted

With all the snow around, things are looking a tad brighter this year! :(

Posted

With all the snow around, things are looking a tad brighter this year! drinks.gif

Yup! All I need now is sunshine reflecting off it (and temps so low it doesn't melt it!!!).

Sorry Nick! Roll on a scorcher of a May and the long warm twilights to go with it (and the same for June,July and Aug!!!). Me hammock and a chill glass of beer (or three) and I'm a happy bunny!drinks.gif