Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earliest it has snowed in Birmingham area?

Potent Gust

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Could anybody tell me the earliest autumn day it has ever snowed in the Birmingham area? Interested to know :)

Posted

Possibly 19-20 Sep 1919

(From http://www.booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1900_1949.htm)

2. Following the hot spell (see above), there was an exceptionally EARLY SNOWFALL overnight 19th / 20th of several inches (at least 2 inches/ 5cm at Princeton) on Dartmoor and other elevated areas (Herefordshire specifically known: elevation ~300ft), with snow of lesser cover being reported from Wales, The Midlands, Dorset & Devon. Reports of snow cover at low levels in Scotland & Northern England, with a substantial covering over higher ground throughout Wales (lying on slopes of the Black Mountains/SE Wales down to an altitude of 1300ft), covering the Clee Hills in Shropshire and also over Exmoor and Dartmoor (see above). Sleet showers observed at lower levels as far south as the Thames Valley. Cyclonic/northerly flow.

Though it doesn't mention whether it snowed in the city itself, if it managed it at 300ft asl in Herefordshire and covered the Clee Hills I'd think it's highly likely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I've been trying to remember that site for ages, thank you for posting it. I used to have it bookmarked on my computer until Firefox updated and kindly deleted them all. You're a star!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!
Possibly 19-20 Sep 1919

(From http://www.booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1900_1949.htm)

2. Following the hot spell (see above), there was an exceptionally EARLY SNOWFALL overnight 19th / 20th of several inches (at least 2 inches/ 5cm at Princeton) on Dartmoor and other elevated areas (Herefordshire specifically known: elevation ~300ft), with snow of lesser cover being reported from Wales, The Midlands, Dorset & Devon. Reports of snow cover at low levels in Scotland & Northern England, with a substantial covering over higher ground throughout Wales (lying on slopes of the Black Mountains/SE Wales down to an altitude of 1300ft), covering the Clee Hills in Shropshire and also over Exmoor and Dartmoor (see above). Sleet showers observed at lower levels as far south as the Thames Valley. Cyclonic/northerly flow.

Though it doesn't mention whether it snowed in the city itself, if it managed it at 300ft asl in Herefordshire and covered the Clee Hills I'd think it's highly likely.

Thanks very much Summer of 95. I like the website you gave us the link for. Very interesting :D