Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow/Wintry Precipitation Reports: 15th - 19th January 2004

Tim B

Posted

We've had a couple of inches, but on totally untreated roads it has been a nightmare. What would normally take 5 mins took 40 tonight :evil:

Oh well, I'm safe at home now & not working tomorrow so bring on the snow :D

It's my son's 2nd birthday tomorrow, so a good helping of white stuff would be much appreciated :wink:

Posted

started snowing in durham at 3.40 . i left for work at 4.10 and didnt clock in till 6.40. a twenty minute journey turned into 2hrs and 20. we were told to turn around and go home. durham just came to a standstill traffic gridlocked at all roads in and out of the city. has turned back to sleety rain now :shock: :shock:

Posted
I'm up to 2.1c now.

Hey nobody likes a boaster!! Only joking, don't look like it's melting up here.

Cool site Paul, I'll have to let my friend have the link cos she lives in NA :shock:

Posted

Well in Stanley, co. Durham we must of got 4-6 inches of the white stuff, it took my cousin2 1/2 hours to get home, a journey that normally takes 15 minutes.

A couple of buses ended up sliding on hills and blocking roads - well done to Derwentside Council for not treating the roads or getting out the snow ploughs - we get snow like this quite often, at least 4 times a year when it gets really bad and the council keep cutting costs in road salt and gritters and then keep increasing their own personal wages.

I am surprised no one got killed last night - 6 inches of wet snow on untreated roads is ridiculous.

Hwver all the snow has gone as it turned to rain :cry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't see why they're thick enough to do that, since although in the short term they increase their wages, in the long term they lose wages as a result of people dying and their relatives and friends claiming compensation.

"Sustainable development"? "Long-term thinking"? What are they?

In the meantime I can report that Sunderland & South Shields had nothing more than sleet last night.

Posted

Sorry guys only just logged on again. Penrith, as has been pointed out, is in Cumbria. We ended up with 8cm by 7pm then it turned back to rain.There was only about half as much in Penrith itself, I live a couple of miles outside and 70m higher. Traffic was having problems but or course you can't grit when it's still raining.

Posted

Thundery/Wintery showers, I work on the North East coast in Redcar, it was just heavy rain and sleet there yesterday. It didn't turn to snow until at least 10 miles inland. It was quite remarkable, it was if somebody had drew a line. This happens quite often here in the North East, and sometimes the opposite happens, when the coastal strip gets 2 or 3 inches, and 10 miles inland there is nothing, as the coastal showers don't penetrate that far inland. Yesterday was nothing to do with the positioning of the showers though, as it was an organised band of precipitation that fell everywhere. It was doen to the differential in temperature. I noted this about 6pm yesterday...Billingham 4c, Newton Aycliffe 0.6c. Both towns are approximately the same latitude, but Billingham is 2-3 miles from the coast, and Newton Aycliffe about 15 (as the crow flies)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

just had a massive hailstorm gave about an amazing whiteout some light snow fell too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I dont know whether its snowing in all the wirral very marginal - it started snowing then it turned to rain and considering were the highest point here then lower altitudes may have got just rain!

Posted

Wow looking at the Cairngorm Mountain webcams, the scottish ski resorts have enjoyed the best day of the season so far!

www.cairngormmountain.com

They had around 10 inches in the past day, superb powder conditions in fine dry and sunny weather! Glencoe also opened today for the first time this season.

But back down to eart with a bump, today was dry and sunny with no snow in Herefordshire, temperature around 5C mostly. Had a trip up the Black Mountains, VERY patchy snow up there, just hard packed sections on the paths occasioanlly, and a light few cm's on the summit of Hay Bluff. Vaguely sledgable for a few metres on the summit! Still, not bad compared to my town of Ross, where snow has yet to fall proper.

Posted
my town of Ross, where snow has yet to fall proper.

well your town stole my name, but snow has not fallen on top of this Ross either :lol: :cry:

Posted

well your town stole my name, but snow has not fallen on top of this Ross either :lol: :cry:

Thanks for leaving me out like :cry:

:lol:

WB

Posted

Thanks for leaving me out like :cry:

:lol:

WB

thought you have had some snow? :lol: :wink:

Posted

Very cold now,can see my breath already.Large dark clouds over me.What do you think will happen to us tonight Ross(weatherboi)/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Sorry to aggravate anyone, but I'm noticing the slight deviance from the topic of "snow reports".

(PS I deleted the posts that had no relevance to snow reports, hope that's alright with everyone)