Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uppsala Sweden

Posted

An interesting and useful site for monitoring snow cover in Uppsala north of Stockholm Sweden. Images go back to 1999 on a daily basis, so it's possible to check snow cover on all days. Clearly the white stuff was much more prevelent in the early part of the period, with much, much less snow lying across the last two Winters.

Perhaps even more so than over here, the rather older members of the population must really wonder what has happened to Winter as they used to know it.

Enjoy.

http://www.uu.se/carpediem/2008/

Edited by jemtom

Posted

Popping this into international weather :lol:

I live on the outskirts of Stockholm not far away from Uppsala, and i must say, that is a very good site to see all the seasons and weather from year to year! But indeed this winter and the one before have been extremely snow cover/cold sparse. Usually if the winter is a little mild at least one month has good cold to keep snow for a long time, at least into the end of March when the snow cover often disappears. Some years have been very good with snow, for example 2006 when temps were a little below normal putting snow cover long into April with lake ice left at the 15th. And if the conditons are good with snow it often gets very cold, for example 2 March 2005 when it was a clear night and a thick snow cover, the temps where around -25'c the whole region at morning and Uppsala had its coldest ever for many years, -30'c, later in the day it got milder by more than 20 degrees. For this region snow cover is much more common than snow free so i have to say it feels strange to be outside right now with +3'c, no snow and lush green lawns!

Edited by Sillkalven

Posted

Hi JT.

I dont know Sweden that well at all, but I do hear of what goes in Copenhagen. Now, using the dates you've given:

2007 - 1999 = 9 years.

You claim the last 2 years have not been typical snow wise. I can actually concur the same for Denmark.

Now the main reason for bringing this up, us that you dont mention the other 7 years/winter.

Denmark hasnt had too many bad winters in the 7 years previously, with I remember some quite notable snow falls.

Posted
Hi JT.

I dont know Sweden that well at all, but I do hear of what goes in Copenhagen. Now, using the dates you've given:

2007 - 1999 = 9 years.

You claim the last 2 years have not been typical snow wise. I can actually concur the same for Denmark.

Now the main reason for bringing this up, us that you dont mention the other 7 years/winter.

Denmark hasnt had too many bad winters in the 7 years previously, with I remember some quite notable snow falls.

I didn't go though the other years in detail, but I did mention them.

Clearly the white stuff was much more prevelent in the early part of the period, with much, much less snow lying across the last two Winters.

The fact things have gotten worse wrt snow/snow cover across the last 2 Winters was precisely my point.