Diurnal range

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

thats correct OON

.... and i beat you by 0.1

-3.9 up to max of 13.2

Posted

Correct indeed OON.

Some very impressive dirunal ranges being recorded too, must be near records for early February I would have thought?

Posted

Be interesting to see what Trawscoed ends up with given that a frost is forecast tonight and it's hit 18.1c today!

Posted

The range has been less pronounced here due to only slight frosts and cooler days than elsewhere.

The largest range Ive ever recorded was in 16th April 2003, when after a low of 3.6C it reached 21.0C - a diurnal range of 17.4C.

Posted
I have to correct myself...I think. The range between -2.6º and 14.6º is 17.2º, not 17.0º.

Even more impressive.

haha - stick that one in your pipe Red Raven ;)

Osbourne! Osbourne! Osbourne!

Edited by Cat 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It reached 18C? oh wow.

Posted

That sounded so sarcastic SP lol

These massive sways in temp are very interesting (that sounds sarcastic as well!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
That sounded so sarcastic SP lol

These massive sways in temp are very interesting (that sounds sarcastic as well!)

It was genuine :);) (really)

Nothing I love more than extreme temperature variations :)

Posted

We've had pretty large temperature ranges too. Yesterday it was a minimum of -6.6C and max of 9.8C, and today it was a minimum of -5.4C and a max of 9.2C. (I do live in a bit of a frost pocket in south Shropshire and get an extra degree or two lower than places a few miles away.) Stunning weather. Despite the relatively high daytime temps, frost has remained on the grass on north facing slopes all day, and the ground remains frozen.

Posted
haha - stick that one in your pipe Red Raven :ph34r:

Osbourne! Osbourne! Osbourne!

Oh yeah....I won then!

What's the difference between landscape architects and architects? Landscape architects are much better.

Posted
Correct indeed OON.

Some very impressive dirunal ranges being recorded too, must be near records for early February I would have thought?

Yep..got up to 14C here from a minima of -1.5C last night. Some isolated patches of frost lasted all day in some parts!!!

Posted

Minimum last night here was -1.3ºC. However despite the sunshine, the maximum only reached 8.9ºC

I thought somehow that my weather station must be bust with others reasonably local recording figures around 13-14º, however Ferryhill, 4 miles north of me, recorded 8.8ºC.

Posted

Oh dear Rob McElwees forecast on BBC forecast has just shown -5C for Liverpool for 08:00 tomorrow, that is a big mistake I'm sure they will rectify that in time, especially since its +4C at the moment in Liverpool!

Posted
Minimum last night here was -1.3ºC. However despite the sunshine, the maximum only reached 8.9ºC

I thought somehow that my weather station must be bust with others reasonably local recording figures around 13-14º, however Ferryhill, 4 miles north of me, recorded 8.8ºC.

Mmm.....

Makes me wonder that.

:ph34r:

Posted

Can't beat anyone, yesterday saw a maximum of 11.9C and minimum of -3.4C, giving um um, 15.3C, yes thats its. Currently -1.8C and still clear.

Problem with these large daily variations is you need a coat on in the morning, but then by late morning its redundant just a light jumper will suffice. Its all very confusing.

Posted
The range has been less pronounced here due to only slight frosts and cooler days than elsewhere.

The largest range Ive ever recorded was in 16th April 2003, when after a low of 3.6C it reached 21.0C - a diurnal range of 17.4C.

Spring tends to bring the peak ranges: night can still be cold but the sun is well up and days can get warm. In winter, and to a lesser extent summer, large ranges are less usual. The run of recent ranges is probably very unusual, even if absolute values are not absolutely unprecedented.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Large diurnal temperature ranges are definitely not a feature of the weather here. It's very rare to get a range of 14c and the largest I've recorded at this site in the last 30 years was 14.9c in July 2006.

During this current spell of fine weather the diurnal range has been between 7 and 10c.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I believe some members here have reported large temperature drops before and around dusk akin to a vigorous cold front passing through. On the coast down here the sea moderates and we just don't get the range or rate of change.

c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Glad to find this thread as I was wondering how unusual it

was to see such variations.

Yesterday here I recorded .. -2.5º C to exactly +15º C

(in the shade of course)

BL

Posted
Glad to find this thread as I was wondering how unusual it

was to see such variations.

Yesterday here I recorded .. -2.5º C to exactly +15º C

(in the shade of course)

BL

Yes, theres been some very large variations over quite small areas. We only reached 9.2C here yesterday, so 6 degrees difference in about 10 miles. Quite remarkable.