Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Reports 19th Feb

Essan

Posted

Light but persistent snow fall in Evesham this morning which with the temp at -4.6c is producing the first ground cover here of the winter!

An unexpected but pleasant surprise!

Anyone else?

Posted
Light but persistent snow fall in Evesham this morning which with the temp at -4.6c is producing the first ground cover here of the winter!

An unexpected but pleasant surprise!

Anyone else?

According to our local news this morning, reports of snow at Meadowhall in Sheffield but nothing here in Tadcaster 40 odd miles away

Having said that never seen such deep frost here in my life complete white out, I could not believe it wasn`t snow when I first looked out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

News reports of snow falling in East Lynn near Kings Lynn and a friend of mine has rang and said snow falling near Rugby

Posted

Thought I was going mad but there is light snow here with a covering on everything. Will try and upload some pics later.

Posted

I'll post some photos later - might be a slow walk into work this morning! Had some quite big flakes here for a time. Mostly stopped now.

btw never knew you were in Cropthorne GP! You'll have to join Paul and myself when we finally meet up for the drink we've been planning for the past 14 months!

Posted

Apparently... According to local news it isnt snow... They said it it Freezing fog... As the temps rise its causing the moisture to fall to the ground.... Can anyone confirm this is the case...

Snow seems very unlikely

Posted
Thought I was going mad but there is light snow here with a covering on everything. Will try and upload some pics later.

There is something white falling out of the sky but don't think it is snow.

We currently have slowly lifting fog and it could be precipitation from this that has frozan????

post-801-1203409556_thumb.jpg

Posted

Confirmed by Meto on TV....

What has happend is : Snow like Fragments which is Freezing fog is falling as temps rise........ Which is causing it to reach the ground and cause a Hoare Frost......

So excitement over : IT IS NOT SNOW........ Although its very pretty and makes a great winter scene

Posted

Technically it is precipitating out of the fog - nonetheless a snowflake is a snowflake :D

I suspect there'll be a bit of debate later on whether it really constitutes snowfall ....

Posted

Freezing fog is composed of supercooled water droplets (i.e. ones which remain liquid even though the temperature is below freezing point). One of the characteristics of freezing fog is that rime - composed of feathery ice crystals - is deposited on the windward side of vertical surfaces such as lamp posts, fence posts, overhead wires, pylons and transmitting masts.

Maybe alot like what has happened this morning

Posted
Confirmed by Meto on TV....

What has happend is : Snow like Fragments which is Freezing fog is falling as temps rise........ Which is causing it to reach the ground and cause a Hoare Frost......

It's not a hoar frost here - as mentioned, we had fairly big snow flakes for a time. Freezing fog produces rime. Not snowflakes.

From BBC:

Freezing fog

Freezing fog is composed of supercooled water droplets (i.e. ones which remain liquid even though the temperature is below freezing-point). One of the characteristics of freezing fog is that rime - composed of feathery ice crystals - is deposited on the windward side of vertical surfaces such as lamp-posts, fence-posts, overhead wires, pylons and transmitting masts.

No mention of snow flakes :D

Posted

At a guess, I would say it is ppn forming (somehow) from the fog. The sat image used on GMTV (Ok, not the most reliable source), showed no clouds in the sky, which would indicate that ppn from fog is the cause.

Therefore, again at a guess, if it is ppn that is forming, and falling as in the above reports, it is snow?

If it was to do with the visuals of the fog itself (rather than ppn), I wonder what the ppn is showing on the METO radar?

Again, I can only guess that it is snow (or wintry ppn) rather than any sort of condensating fog.

Edited by ChrisL

Posted
It's not a hoar frost here - as mentioned, we had fairly big snow flakes for a time. Freezing fog produces rime. Not snowflakes.

From BBC:

No mention of snow flakes :D

OK then you argue that with the Met office - there the ones who confirmed it was not snow with bbc breakfast....

Posted

freezing fog can produce small grains of snow but I've never seen large flakes of snow falling in a freezing fog set up.

I suppose its the comment on snow FLAKES causing the discussion.

its quite common for vertical or semi vertical surfaces to get a coating in thick freezing fog, usually referred to as a rime deposit. When a deposit also occurs on horizontal surfaces it is USUALLY due to small snow grains actually falling from the fog.

the other type that occurs is on high ground when cloud is present with a wind, sometimes up to gale force and then very thick rime/ice deposits can form. Remember the Emley TV mast collapse many years ago? That was caused by this effect, due to the weight of ice deposited on the mast.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

It's the same here in Birmingham. Light precipitation producing a lovely winter's morning. Great!

Regards,

Mike.

Posted
Remember the Emley TV mast collapse many years ago? That was caused by this effect, due to the weight of ice deposited on the mast.

Owww didn't know about that John, Wiki to the rescue, thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Aye, my husband texted from Hull city to say

it was 'snowing' around 9am.

I too wondered whether it could amidst a frost / fog,

so thought I'd check in here :D

Ooo and 20mins later .. it has just started here too, c. 15 m

north of Hull.

Little 'fairy' flakes of 'snow'.

Cheers, BL.

Edited by Beverley Lass

Posted

Definaetly snow in parts of Sheffield. Very localised in Hillsborough but enough to cover the roads. Just got to work and a car in the car park with a least an inch of snow on roof. 100m bright sunshine!

Posted

Reports of snow at meadowhall in Sheffield. But news has said that it is ice in the fog that is producing alot. Not snow peeps sorry!

Posted

aye it is snowing here in the centre of leeds, fairly large flakes to be honest not small pellets that i would expect from dense fog. nice covering on the ground at the moment with temps still at -3