Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Luncthime trip to Keswick

Posted

On Monday, Wibs and I decided we needed a pasty from Keswick. The fact that the hills had snow on and it was beautifully sunny has nothing to do with it. It also gave me a chance to try out a little Olympus compact which I've had for a while. Considering I couldn't see a thing on the screen, I'm quite pleased with the results, but it makes me realise how great SLRs really are. Having to shoot blind without any exposure control at all is just a bit frustrating.

2314474684_0601543284.jpg

Looking towards Patterdale

2313664859_48d0acfdec.jpg

Derwant Water with Blencathra in the background

2313664419_19a8df25d6.jpg

Castlerigg Stone Circle with Skiddaw in the background

2313662833_becdbb8cef.jpg

Great Dodd from Castlerigg Stone Circle

2313663887_8099327d06.jpg

Helvellyn from Castlerigg Stone Circle ]

I expect nothing less than a full savaging.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Really lovely.

Whetted my appetite for my June hols there :)

Not expecting the snowy tops by then tho !

Cheers,

BL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Ive been there! Lovely place

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Very nice pics OON!

I love Castlerigg I always stop by when i'm over there.

I'm hoping to get over later this month and if the models are anything to go by there could be some snow :D

1 and 4 are my favourites.

Posted

Nice pix

the stone circle is just up above my sister's house !

(saw the snow on the Fishers' webcam last week)

Posted

Krusty Ken sends his kongratulations from beyond the grave, in fact he is thinking of returning to life just so he can visit these wonderful scenic areas. I'll warn you if he's heading that way.

Posted

Absolutely fantastic pics OON.

The light in these photos really comes through well, and I love the inclusion of CastleRigg stone circle...a beautiful spot (albeit somewhat cold all year round for some reason!)

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

I know there was nowt you could do, but first and second to last picture are good examples to show that he clouds are slightly over exposed, and ground is not and where a graduated filter would have come in useful, taken the glare of the clouds but left the landscape as it was. It is something I am always being nagged about by my photography guru.

What I really am trying to say Oon is ...... Nice Pics.

Posted

What a beautiful landscapes! :)

Very nice pics! :)

Posted
Does anyone know where Roger put his medication?

Your sister lives underground?

not quite :) just down the hill from Castlerigg a bit

did you go to Brysons for your pasties?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Damn! Lou and Stu beat me to the nice pics comment B)

Who needs pics of active volcanoes, hurricanes, sunsets, and the ilk, when you just cant beat some good photo's of the Great British countryside.... B)

last pic is the one for me...why?....just a lovely contrast foreground and background

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

What a stunning view in that first picture! The stone circle shots are very good too, stone circles are certainly very mysterious- a subject Archaelogists argue about until this very day.

Posted

Those pictures show just what a beautiful place the lake district is, must say my favourite is the Helvellyn close up with the green/snow contrast - I always try and spend at least a couple of days each month up there, we're off to Eskdale for 3 days at the end of March then Dufton in April, Ennerdale in May and Grasmere in June.

Posted
I know there was nowt you could do, but first and second to last picture are good examples to show that he clouds are slightly over exposed, and ground is not and where a graduated filter would have come in useful, taken the glare of the clouds but left the landscape as it was. It is something I am always being nagged about by my photography guru.

Your guru is an ar*e.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

"Great Dodd from Castlerigg Stone Circle", one of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen. Great work! :D

Posted

What I really am trying to say Oon is ...... Nice Pics.

I hardly think the clouds in picture 1 are over-exposed, looking at the white clipping (shown as black) it is very minimal on the edges of the cloud, and the only dark clipping is in the hedges (shown as white), if you corrected that there would be very little difference to see, and there is no clipping at all on picture 4.

post-2911-1205234412_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hey - I'm just grateful anything came out at all because I really couldn't see anything on the stupid little screen compacts come with.

For those that missed it...

"Great Dodd from Castlerigg Stone Circle", one of the most beautiful photos I have ever seen. Great work! :unknw:

Thank you! Pure luck obviously.

Posted
Your guru is an ar*e.

Is that right PP, do you have a degree in Photography that I don't know about? and I would be grateful if you didn't call one of my closest friends and one of the most knowledgeable people I know on photography , what you called him.

You are out of order. I don't go slagging of your friends now do I.

I hardly think the clouds in picture 1 are over-exposed, looking at the white clipping (shown as black) it is very minimal on the edges of the cloud, and the only dark clipping is in the hedges (shown as white), if you corrected that there would be very little difference to see, and there is no clipping at all on picture 4.

I did say slightly over exposed, and I wasn't critising Oon's pic, was just using them as an example of how grad filter would have helped a bit.

Sorry what I should have just said was Nice pic's Oon.

Is that right PP, do you have a degree in Photography that I don't know about? and I would be grateful if you didn't call one of my closest friends and one of the most knowledgeable people I know on photography , what you called him.

You are out of order. I don't go slagging of your friends now do I.

How could you he's got none?Maybe this is how he expresses the hurt.

Posted
I did say slightly over exposed, and I wasn't critising Oon's pic, was just using them as an example of how grad filter would have helped a bit.

Sorry what I should have just said was Nice pic's Oon.

Cobblers!

There's nothing worse than false praise and no-one ever improves without constructive criticism. I can see exactly where you are coming from Louby. The scenery is so beautiful but unfortunately in the two photos you point out the sky is so very bright that it distracts your attention from the landscape.

I am sure OON would rather have relevent comments than the frankly pathetic 'nice pics' twaddle that usually prevails.

The landscapes are stunning, don't get me wrong but I read this section to learn more about photography and comments like yours help me in that.

So 4/5 OON. Off you toddle and try again! Could do better :o