Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2008

Michael Fish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Nice to have you on board Michael. We chased with Paul and Ian for a few days last year. You will have a great time. I don't fly out until 14th May and I guess will miss meeting up with you. I will be meeting up with Paul some time around 22nd May. I am chasing with Dave Ewoldt on my first week. I don't see feeding Paul as the problem, feeding Ian is your main problem. Ian can eat for England. ;)

Posted
Nice to have you on board Michael. We chased with Paul and Ian for a few days last year. You will have a great time. I don't fly out until 14th May and I guess will miss meeting up with you. I will be meeting up with Paul some time around 22nd May. I am chasing with Dave Ewoldt on my first week. I don't see feeding Paul as the problem, feeding Ian is your main problem. Ian can eat for England. ;)

:);) So True, So True :)

See you for the last week of May Tom!

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Nice to hear from you Paul. Hope you are well and ready to roll. I was wondering if I needed a Dodge Durango for that week. just to keep up with yall.

Tom

Posted
Nice to hear from you Paul. Hope you are well and ready to roll. I was wondering if I needed a Dodge Durango for that week. just to keep up with yall.

Tom

We are keeping our Durango for the 37 days, But we will go easy on you and try to keep the off roading to a Minimum, the Suspension should be knackered by then anyway!

Paul S

Posted
good luck guys, seems to be plenty of tornado programs on at the moment!!

hope you have plenty of luck ;)

You are right about the tornado programs, but they all appear to be the same one. Praise the Lord for TIV & Josh W. I have seen the rest of this series and it is worth watching.

Posted
You are right about the tornado programs, but they all appear to be the same one. Praise the Lord for TIV & Josh W. I have seen the rest of this series and it is worth watching.

ive seen a couple on sky 3 that appear to be different!!

half me is oh my god and the other half is sadness for people who homes are destroyed etc.

the one I was watching today taped last week was of a tornado that last 1 hour that hit Edmonton Canada in 80's

Posted

Sky 3 ? I shall have to look out for that one. I am always down when folks lose everything they own. We spent the day in Greensburg, Kansas all day on the same day that they were hit by the tornado. I have seen the footage and we sat a few miles south of the second tornado that night. Hard to say how I felt. There have been so many sad stories about the townsfolk.

Posted

What little old me eating for England I'm just a slim jim in a fat body is all!! :)

Posted
What little old me eating for England I'm just a slim jim in a fat body is all!! :)

Nice one Ian.. Nice to hear from you. Hope you are well.

Tom

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Tom

Nice to see you on here Tom, will probably bump into you and Dave at some point in the Plains and hopefully share some good chase accounts over a steak and beer! Dave is a great chase partner to have too!

Can't believe its only 33 days to go until we flight out :)

Posted
Nice to see you on here Tom, will probably bump into you and Dave at some point in the Plains and hopefully share some good chase accounts over a steak and beer! Dave is a great chase partner to have too!

Can't believe its only 33 days to go until we flight out :)

Hi Nick, we chased with Dave for a couple of days last year and saw a seasons worth of supercells in one afternoon. not to mention a tornado too. It should be good. I hope we can meet up for a beer & a steak. No matter how big the plains are , we always all end up in the same place.

Posted

Tom

Hi Tom its good to see you on the forum I am fighting fit though like Nick i cant believe we have just over one month until were out in the plains again where has the time gone! like you said im sure we will meet at some point for a good 32 oz beer or three and exchange of stories.

So far look forword to seeing you out there

Ian

Posted

I'm hoping I can be better in terms of the virtual storm tracking than I was last year because the good ole college AS got in the way big time, this time that shouldn't be a problem bar the odd resit, because the exams are mainly in June so at least for the first half of May I should be able to track quite long into the night...well your afternoon!

I love watching the radars just after the cap breaks and see the explosive developments, but be even more amazing to see it in real life I bet where you can actually see the clouds go upwards fast.

Posted
I'm hoping I can be better in terms of the virtual storm tracking than I was last year because the good ole college AS got in the way big time, this time that shouldn't be a problem bar the odd resit, because the exams are mainly in June so at least for the first half of May I should be able to track quite long into the night...well your afternoon!

I love watching the radars just after the cap breaks and see the explosive developments, but be even more amazing to see it in real life I bet where you can actually see the clouds go upwards fast.

Hi Tom its good to see you on the forum I am fighting fit though like Nick i cant believe we have just over one month until were out in the plains again where has the time gone! like you said im sure we will meet at some point for a good 32 oz beer or three and exchange of stories.

So far look forword to seeing you out there

Ian

Hi Ian, I spoke with Paul at Pete's BBQ and will be hooking up with you on or around 22nd May and so we may well get to share a six pack of Bud. Maybe even a Big Texan rib-eye . There you go pardner!

Tom

Posted

Tom Stop it !! Ian needs no encouragement whatsoever :D:)

Not long now Buddy!

Will be Chasing those Dang Storms with Billy Bob in only 30 days.

See ya'll on the 21/22nd May

Paul S

Posted
Tom Stop it !! Ian needs no encouragement whatsoever :):)

Not long now Buddy!

Will be Chasing those Dang Storms with Billy Bob in only 30 days.

See ya'll on the 21/22nd May

Paul S

Paul

I unfortunately have to wait 47 days until I fly out. I will be watching your adventures. I will also be following Steve & Pete with Cloud 9. Is Michael going out for the full month?

Tom

Posted
Paul

I unfortunately have to wait 47 days until I fly out. I will be watching your adventures. I will also be following Steve & Pete with Cloud 9. Is Michael going out for the full month?

Tom

Tom Unfortunatly Micheal is only with us for the first ten days

Ian

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

A great way of sharing your chase live..!! If you have the equipment, resources and time this is

what youve been looking for. It dosnt come with sound (as far as i know) so you all can still curse and swear as much as you like..!!

http://www.severestreaming.com/

Pointless looking at this MR Sherman, as youve already told me your technical knowledge is

pretty close to zero..!! :lol:

But i'm sure someone else might be able to...Nick.? Ian..?........

Posted
Pointless looking at this MR Sherman, as youve already told me your technical knowledge is

pretty close to zero..!! :lol:

But i'm sure someone else might be able to...Nick.? Ian..?........

Looks slightly beyond my knowledge too ... though it looks limited to me to whether you have an internet connection on the move or not to get the 'live' streaming. Something that isn't out the question though if we can get some kind of mobile internet connection sorted out ... something Paul M might be able to sort out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

That does look interesting! I might see if I can get something sorted whilst I am out there chasing. I should have internet access on the move (coverage allowing) whilst I am over there.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

I'm excited for you all (and slightly jealous :) ) and wish you all the very best of luck for both groups and hope you catch some great shots of not only tornadoes, but clouds, hail, lightning, everything :) .

Oh and please stay safe :)

Posted
Cannot Wait now only 50 days away. I am sure Michael is going to Love this experience and I just noticed he will be 64 years Old on the day we fly out, so I am sure we will have a few beers and a nice meal in Dallas Fort Worth on the Sunday evening of Michaels Birthday!! :D

Paul Sherman

Take him to the Texas Roadhouse and give him the full 'saddle' treatment!

Looks slightly beyond my knowledge too ... though it looks limited to me to whether you have an internet connection on the move or not to get the 'live' streaming. Something that isn't out the question though if we can get some kind of mobile internet connection sorted out ... something Paul M might be able to sort out.

My customers down in Texas tell me that the Sprint air-cards are not far off Broadband speed and work wherever there is a cell-phone reception. Don't know if it'll be worth the investment or not?

Posted

As an aside, I have run with an Alltel Laptop DataCard (along with a data amp and an external antenna) and find that the internet conenction is actually quite good.

What I have found out over the years is that a Sprit Card seem better (more cell towers) over texas and New Mexico - while Alltel seems better from Kansas North. However I often find my self in the "Data hole" that is Western Oklahoma which seems to have no internet coverage (it is actually quite remote). So a good back up is a Baron system.

As a backup for data - Most of the hotels now have free WiFi internet which spills out onto there carpark...

And finally dont forget the libarys (closed on Sundays) most have a free internet connected PC that you can use.

Some of my links http://www.stormtrack.co.uk/Wx/usa.htm

Edited by Stu

Posted
As an aside, I have run with an Alltel Laptop DataCard (along with a data amp and an external antenna) and find that the internet conenction is actually quite good.

What I have found out over the years is that a Sprit Card seem better (more cell towers) over texas and New Mexico - while Alltel seems better from Kansas North. However I often find my self in the "Data hole" that is Western Oklahoma which seems to have no internet coverage (it is actually quite remote). So a good back up is a Baron system.

As a backup for data - Most of the hotels now have free WiFi internet which spills out onto there carpark...

And finally dont forget the libarys (closed on Sundays) most have a free internet connected PC that you can use.

Some of my links http://www.stormtrack.co.uk/Wx/usa.htm

Thanks Stu,

Getting close now, only 11 days before you and all of us fly out, we do have the Barons and the Card will give us patchy coverage of GR Level 3 etc which is all strings to the Bow, may see you out there in front of a great big Supercell, no cutting me up on the Chase though :)

Regards

Paul S

Take him to the Texas Roadhouse and give him the full 'saddle' treatment!

Is that anywhere near DFW Airport, will be staying in a Hotel close to the Airport on the Sunday Night ??