Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chickens

Andy H

Posted

I had chickens as pets when i was a young lad, they make great pets, you will never have to buy eggs again, i was speaking to my neighbour before we got our chicks and he said 40 years ago every garden in our road kept chickens, so why do people not keep them like they used to???

its easy, fun and not expensive

Edited by Andy H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Chickens are fine, its the cockerels that do the neighbors heads in these days, unless you live in a rural area that is :)

Posted
Chickens are fine, its the cockerels that do the neighbors heads in these days, unless you live in a rural area that is :)

true and i am taking one of the chicks back tomorrow because it is a male as long as you find a good supplier that should not be a problem as they will exchange them

Posted

There's a certain bird that likes to sit on the chimney at 5am and chat that'll make me happy if I catch it. :)

General reasons heard are "too much work", "messy", "can't be bothered". And I suspect that many people have never even considered it as it's not a 'normal' thing.

Posted

As a lad we had up to 25 chickens at any one time. I would love chickens but there are two reasons why my wife and I wouldn't have them now:

1. Space - Our garden is far too small

2. We go on holiday - unlike a dog or cat, you can't drop them off at the local kennels or family members house. Someone has to come round in the morning to let them out and collect egss and at dusk to shut them up. Also if your away for more than a week or so they may need cleaning out!

Edited by fine wine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
true and i am taking one of the chicks back tomorrow because it is a male as long as you find a good supplier that should not be a problem as they will exchange them

Its best to make everything fox and rodent proof too. Rats climb chicken wire so my friend put wire right over to the other side completely enclosing the chicken house. They run free all day then go into fort Knox in the evening. No feeding outside the wire. Outside the wire the chickens "work in" rotted manure which he puts on the veg plots the chickens peck this to peaces for the insects ;) The rest of the year they follow him digging and weeding. It works well for him, few rats and no fox has got in yet. I have a dozen eggs of him most times I call by. Large garden several acres, I think he has about 50 chickens. The eggs are very nice indeed, especially when he is digging in rotted manure :D

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

I will be giving it a bash once I have a house with a garden.

I havn't seen a chicken in a garden since my uncle got rid of his in the late eighties.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Seems like some areas of the globe are heading for our 'yard free of chickens' status. Huge swathes of Egypt, the western districts of India,northern Pakistan,Bangladesh and ,if only the authorities could manage it ,Indonesia.....LOL

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Several of my neighbours have their own chickens and I do well

for free range eggs.

Here's a pic of one rather lovely white Cockerel who comes over

to me about three times a day for a handout of seed.

I'm told he's a 'Silky' variety.

Little devil pecks at my flowers or even my shins if I don't

treat him quickly enough ! :D

post-3933-1206780047_thumb.jpg

Cheers, BL.

Posted

Cockerels are so funny. Kept chickens in Africa - free range and used to get great amusement at the cockerel antics, especially when you have a few of them! I love the sound of them crowing. Next to the muezzin from the mosque it's my favourite sound to wake up to.

We named our chickens, and ate them. (I find the idea of chickens as 'pets' a little strange therefore?!).

In the UK? Right now I'm just too busy. They're too messy, and the precautions you have to take vs Mr Fox and Mrs Rat are so extensive that I can't be bothered. I find it easier to get free range or barn eggs from the supermarket. Lazy of me I know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I've kept chickens for years. You don't need much space and it really isn't much work. The key is to get a really good house and run which is easy to clean and lasts for ever. The best around are from these guys.

Forsham Cottage Arks

They have an excellent choice and have a fantastic reputation and are full of really good advice on keeping chickens.

You can't beat your own fresh eggs and we are just starting to do birds for meat!

There are a lot of misconceptions and myths regarding keeping chickens but it is really really easy as long as you follow basic rules.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Too many people think that you only get a chicken out of a freezer at asda and eggs only come in nice little boxes.

We used to have chickens, Ducks and Geese but our garden is far too small now. Would love to have some again though.

• 2 months later...