Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

northerlies arriving mainly at weekends fri-sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

i notice that northerly airstreams seem to only arrive (at least nowadays) at weekends

sun 18th march 07

fri 01 feb 08

sat 22 march 08

5th april 08

sunderland afc weekend match snowed off!

and tends to mild up on a monday evening or a tuesday

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Bit of a pain that - rather have warmer weekends when I can actually get out & enjoy the daytimes!

Posted

This a topic that has been raised before and I've always thought this as well. Even going back 15 years, northerlies have normally commenced on a Friday and this week is no different.

Edited by Zerouali lives

Yes i've noticed that too, northerlies over easter weekend, last weekend was windy and unsettled just like next weekend looks like being, i wonder if another northerly will show up on the models soon for weekend April 19th/20th, not sure when this weekends northerly was first picked up, not two weekends ago i dont think so another northerly in two weeks is possible though i would favour an easterly or LP over or near us.

Edited by Eugene

Posted
Sunderland are playing away that day mate

Im a little confused to say the least, but thats nothing new ;)

If my memory serves me correctly sunderland were at home that day, because the blizzard onset during the match

Kris

EDIT: An article about the match http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/Match-...joke.1433629.jp

Edited by snowking

Posted

Personally I quite like the idea of northerlies occuring at the weekends. I do alot of walking and northerlies are the best for clear air and sparkling skies giving the best conditions for clarity up in the hills and overall visibility. Unfortunately they are associated with high lapse rates and very cold winds, meaning temperatures in the hills are usually as cold as they can be when their is a northerly. Still I love northerlies whatever the time of year - they normally mean lots of sunny spells and clear nights, even in the height of summer whilst giving colder than normal conditions they usually guarantee fine weather and very useful weather for getting out and about. I'd certainly trade a spell of northerlies above a spell of south westerlies whatever the time of year.

Posted

www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.html hmm another one, dont really want another northerly now, wont be snow

save next northerly for 21/22 november 08 lol

Posted
www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.html hmm another one, dont really want another northerly now, wont be snow

save next northerly for 21/22 november 08 lol

On the contrary, if the setup the ECM is showing occured, then even this late in the season there would be widespread snow showers and possibly overnight accumulations. Im not sure where this idea of it being too late for snow comes from, we've had lying snow in May and June before and as long as the airmass is sufficiently cold, it wont make the slightest difference what time of the year it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think the idea that it can't snow is probably connected to the "I don't want cold, so cold = dull damp and useless, warm = sunny and dry" thing. There's been some extremely distorted reading of the charts in some quarters in recent weeks- if I had a pound for every time a sunshine-and-showers, or cool but dry/sunny northerly showed up in the charts, and someone referred to it as a dull raw drizzly weather chart, I'd probably have earned quite a bit of money over the last two months.

I don't think it's likely that something as extreme as ECM would come off, but if it did, we'd certainly be looking at widespread sleet/snow showers.

Posted
Im a little confused to say the least, but thats nothing new :o

If my memory serves me correctly sunderland were at home that day, because the blizzard onset during the match

Kris

EDIT: An article about the match http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/Match-...joke.1433629.jp

my bad I was thought u where meaning that coming weekend :o

Guess what another northerly late sunday into monday, yes only late sunday and only affecting the north of scotland but still a northerly and still affecting somewhere in the UK, pretty amazing really late sunday/mondays northerly came out of nowhere on the charts, doesn't look good currently on the charts for one april 19th/20th but if the scandy high can retrogress enough northwestwards and the low pushes east then another northerly could appear just late on sunday April 20th again just like sundays one :D

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn541.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Bit of a pain that - rather have warmer weekends when I can actually get out & enjoy the daytimes!

Too right. All this hoping for more cold I just don't get- not only is it damaging it is now mid-spring.

Posted
Too right. All this hoping for more cold I just don't get- not only is it damaging it is now mid-spring.

I think those wishing for further cold are firmly the cold snow lovers, April is the last month of the year when low level snow is still a realistic possibility, come May and yes it can fall but it is rare if it sticks and last away from the high ground. Until April is out those cold snow lovers will always make their voice heard - me included. April is the most unpredictable month, if can deliver and often does deliver anything

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Damn! im going for the next northerly for 3-4 May, well in FI but will happen now its out of snow season

Posted

Well I`ve probably mentioned this last year but the last time there was a cold N-ly in May was in 1997 with a mix of rain/sleet and snow showers with a slight covering of hail not here but just about half a mile away on our land which was memorable at the time in this year.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119970507.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219970507.gif

But the strangest thing about march and april didn`t even record a single hail shower or even sleet :lol: let alone snow different to this spring :doh: