Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Inefficient Sun

Posted

During a conversation with a friend, the point was raised that per square inch, the human body actually emits more heat than that of the surace of the sun and that it is merely the size of the sun in comparison that allows it to generate such a substatial output of heat. I havent got a clue where this was heard, but is there actually any truth in this? It sounds a tad crazy that a wee blob of ooze and bones can generate heat more efficiently than a massive ball of burning hydrogen, but then again what do I know?

Edited by lightningfan

Posted
That's nonsense. The surface of the sun is several thousand degrees celsius - that's why it glows brightly. We don't glow brightly.

its more like millions of degrees sorry to correct you

Posted

I've got a value here of 5500C for the surface (ref: Atlas of the Universe).

I'll pull some values out for you shortly...

Posted

Well I think its safe to say then that it was mindless pub talk. As i said it seemed somewhat crazy to me, and its reassuring to know that the sun is in fact more capable of heating this planet than a tipsy pub goer gives it credit for :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
its more like millions of degrees sorry to correct you

In one of my books it says the surface is around 5500° C but the core is around 15,000,000°C

Ah was beaten to it!

Edited by James M

Posted

Here we go, some numbers for it (I've calculated the Human value so there is some margin of error but I think it's not important).

Energy emmision from surface of sun 63,000,000 W/m^2

Energy emmision from typical human body 530 W/m^2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
Here we go, some numbers for it (I've calculated the Human value so there is some margin of error but I think it's not important).

Energy emmision from surface of sun 63,000,000 W/m^2

Energy emmision from typical human body 530 W/m^2

They were talking about per square inch though, so you would have to proportionalise the sun to a human.

Bring on the resident math geek??????? (no offence)

Essentially, i have messed around with some figures, and if the sun is over 120,000 times the size of a human, then the human body is a more efficient heat source, and generates more power per square inch.

Posted

:lol:

If you want to work in watts per square inch that's fine. I think I'll stick with the watts per square metre quoted though.

Posted
Essentially, i have messed around with some figures, and if the sun is over 120,000 times the size of a human, then the human body is a more efficient heat source, and generates more power per square inch.
Are you saying the sun is 120,000 times the size of a human being? It's actually about 330,000 times the mass of the Earth.

Perhaps you've missed a few zeros somewhere?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Well I think its safe to say then that it was mindless pub talk. As i said it seemed somewhat crazy to me, and its reassuring to know that the sun is in fact more capable of heating this planet than a tipsy pub goer gives it credit for :)

Oh, I dont know, my ex-missus thought I was very hot...lol....guess I must of cooled down, or had a bad case of sun spots :lol:

Posted
QUOTE (summer blizzard @ 6 Apr 2008, 11:12 PM)

Are you saying the sun is 120,000 times the size of a human being? It's actually about 330,000 times the mass of the Earth.

Surely this depends on the human being in question? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

It's comforting to know that if our sun burns out we could squish the population of Bolton together and create a new one. :):doh: