Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Can a Million Tons of Sulphur Dioxide Combat Climate Change?

Mondy

Posted

Large Atmospheric Sulphur Dioxide Experiment is Now Underway in the Pacific

Thanks to the proponents of agw, all sorts of trials will take place. The one above will probably make the planet more cool should similar experiments occur.

For example, and I quote:

Pinatubo's eruption didn't just unleash huge mud slides and lava flows; it also fired an ash stream 22 miles into the air, injecting 20 million tons of sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere. Over the following months, a massive haze gradually dispersed across the globe. Meanwhile, the sulfur dioxide component underwent chemical reactions to form a particulate known as sulfate aerosol (in essence, droplets of water and sulfuric acid), which absorbs sunlight and reflects some of it back into space.

The climatic effect of this volcanic eruption was rapid, dramatic, and planetary in scale. In a year, the global average temperature declined by half a degree Celsius, and researchers observed less summer melt atop the Greenland ice sheet

Edited by Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I may be wrong but doesn't sulphur cause acid rain? Please correct me if this is incorrect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

oooo interesting but how will we create all this stuff lol :o

Posted
I may be wrong but doesn't sulphur cause acid rain? Please correct me if this is incorrect.

In a series of reactions, sulfur dioxide combines with other molecules in the atmosphere, ultimately forming sulfuric acid

Posted
A much-discussed idea to offset global warming by injecting sulfate particles into the stratosphere would have a drastic impact on Earth's protective ozone layer, new research concludes.

~ ~ ~

"Our research indicates that trying to artificially cool off the planet could have perilous side effects," Tilmes says. "While climate change is a major threat, more research is required before society attempts global geoengineering solutions."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80424140407.htm

Posted

Erm,Essan there is no global warming to be offset. Ten years of no warming now,and if even the pro-warming boys at NASA are to be believed there'll be none for at least the next ten years as natural factors overcome the CO2 'signal'. So that's 20 years at the very least with no warming. Anyone spot a 'trend' developing there? Course,so far down the line AGW will be just a curio that us oldies will remember. Oh,how we will laugh...not. It ain't funny being cold and hungry.

• 4 weeks later...