Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Averages

Louby

Posted

I read recently on the BBC site that this winter will be above average temps but colder than last year, now this got my little brain cell into thinking... Where do they get the average from? is there a certain period in time way back when records began that they take them from or is it done over the last decade? and do they use the same period of time for the summer average?

Please help my little brain cell out, I am heading for a stint of insomnia over this one.

Posted

First of all the winter months are averaged (Dec,Jan,Feb) which gives you a figure for, say, 2007/2008 winter. This figure is then compared to an average of, normally, a 30 year period of winters. The two most popular periods are 1961-1990, and 1971-2000.

It's worth noting that this is the 'mean' average, and not one of the other two.

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

this may be a strange q?..but if you have been a member of this forum for 5 yrs and are part of the moderators..how is it that you do not know any of this?

Posted
this may be a strange q?..but if you have been a member of this forum for 5 yrs and are part of the moderators..how is it that you do not know any of this?
perhaps Lou didnt want to ""know any of this"" before :) and am sure its not a pre-requisite to have a knowledge of weather to be a member/moderator here :)

Posted

As with everything on Net Weather you do not need to be an expert in weather (hence I managed to be a mod)

One of the things that I think has made Net Weather so sucessful is the ability for people of all levels of knowledge to participate and further their knowledge, hence we have such a broad spectrum of members.

I like to adopt the aproach that no question is a stupid question (with the exception of "will it snow in Carlisle" :) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i never said it was a stupid q?...im just learning..it is the learning area after all..so i thought i would ask the q?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I was thinking that myself :)

Posted
i never said it was a stupid q?...im just learning..it is the learning area after all..so i thought i would ask the q?

It's a work ethos that I have "No question is a stupid question" in other words don't be afraid to ask because we are all experts in different things. There was no suggestion that your's was such :)

So please all feel free to ask away in the learning area (you will probably teach me loads :D )

Posted

well , here's how it goes... when we decide we want a new mod or mods we have a chat about who we think would make a good forum moderator..

then they have to undergo the traditional initiation ceremony which i'm afraid is kept secret.

and look at me - i do a lot of coding here - i assure you it's not because of my weather knowledge....more my knowledge of various technologies and how to use blutack and sticky backed plastic

so you don't have to be a weather expert to play an important role on the site

Posted

Oooo blimery, well CM I absolutely love weather in every way shape and form but to be honest have know real inclination to get too deep into the technical side, lack of brain power etc... I am a creative person not a intellectual type. I know the basics and am happy with that, well until I became a mod, and I feel I want to learn more.

I am very proud of the fact I have been here from almost the start, even prouder at the fact that I was asked to become a mod (still sore after the traditional initiation ceremony ) but ashamed about the fact I don't know as much as I should do about the tech side of the weather.

Posted
Don't you need a mod who can speak gaelic if a member comes here and says a word you might not know what it means.

You could ask me though :)

a' bruidhinn sa Ghàidhlig... pfft