Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Funnel cloud

Ross B

Posted

There was a funnel cloud here at about 2:30 today. Really strange- thats 4 funnel clouds (3 occuring at the same time) in 3 years. All have occured during high pressure? :? . Anybody know why they have form in high pressure? You can only see the end of this one as it ran away before i could find a camera :lol:

<URL Shortened By Tim B> Click Here To View Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Unfortunately I can't explain that one... that is a gap in my meteorological knowledge. I am aware of tornadoes being sighted over the Isle of Man in high pressure.

Posted

na, was definetly a funnel( as i said i only managed to get a photo at the end of it as it only lasted about a minute.). I've had 3 occur at the same time a year before,i have video footage of them but i dont know how to upload it :lol: They seem to be very localised, I remember a tornado that just missed the town of kilmaurs and smacked into a farm last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

Funnel clouds over the sea which eventually become waterspouts can occur in any type of weather. Its just like the fact we have had a lot of doom and gloom with drizzle and low cloud in this anticyclone. All it takes is the slightest bit of convection and instability to occur and funnel clouds can form.

• 3 months later...
Posted
I have been thinking that it could either be a microburst or a strange cloud formation but you say this happens in high pressure which is odd to say the least

yep, have seen 4 or 5 of them here in the past few years, very strange. I have some video footage of 3 that occured at the same time a few years back, but its not a very good camera so i'm not sure if it's possible to upload it :cry:

p.s my geography teacher has seen them as well, and he's a weather fanatic :D

Posted

:lol: I never really got on with my geogrphy teacher because he was mental and very sexist towards girls :-x :lol: I didn't hate him, just wasn't very talkative to him.