Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will Your Tree Explode This Xmas?

Posted

Is it just me or do all christmas trees have explosive gas inside them?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20081219/tuk-ch...ng-45dbed5.html

B)

Okay...back to a serious point. I'm interested really in the speed of combustion and propagation should there be a fault in the fairy-lights and energy builds-up and over-heats. Given that we're using a low amount of power here, don't you think that the energy released is somewhat anamolously high for a 10 second engulfing of a room? The article mentions splits in wiring; but does this also relate to the ampage used in the adapter? Interesting stuff though if this can happen with faulty christmas lights.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

I think it's the high surface area of all the needles and their resin content that makes it go up like that. Anyway, modern CE marked electric lights have got to be safer than candles.

Posted
I think it's the high surface area of all the needles and their resin content that makes it go up like that. Anyway, modern CE marked electric lights have got to be safer than candles.

Safer than candles? I'm not sure tbh given that firefighter demonstration.

Albeit common sense should prevail really; and people should turn off their lights after long periods perhaps?

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Common sense (or some sort of sense), tells me that having a naked flame next to a bunch of tinder isn't very safe. I would use a glowing filament enclosed in glass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

I like this comment:

"But most importantly of all make sure you test your smoke alarm and if you haven't already got one why not buy one as stocking filler?"

Surely if you don't have a smoke alarm you should get one immediately and put it up, and not wait until the big day! :lol: