Cold?
IGNORED

Nick Sussex

Rollo

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I've only caught a little of what happened but it seems the first major storm of the winter has battered france so I would like to know if he's okay as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Was wondering the same earlier, perhaps he has had his power cut off? BBC said upto 1 million homes in SW France were without power. Let's just hope that this is the reason for his absence and nothing more serious.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
Was wondering the same earlier, perhaps he has had his power cut off? BBC said upto 1 million homes in SW France were without power. Let's just hope that this is the reason for his absence and nothing more serious.

We in the UK are so lucky this severe storm missed us. Take a look at the BBC footage. It really is very bad in France and Spain. Let's all pray Nick is ok as his area got hit very badly indeed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7848719.stm

Posted

Looking at his profile Nick was last online at 07.42 this morning and reported after a power outage, there's a thread somewhere in the storms section dedicated to the event in question.

At that time Nick was thinking further power outages were likely so I would expect that's the reason for his absence. He's probably desperate to get on here and tell of what's been experienced today!

Posted

Power cuts the most likely problem. Same happeend in the NW of France in late 1999 (or was it 2000).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes Nick S feared he would be offline today when he posted last night as he was looking for latest information on the storm track.

Glad to hear he has been in contact earlier.

I am sure we all look forward to his next postings.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Yes - I hope he and his dogs are alright.

I was pleased that he posted early this morning - but it would be very welcome to hear from him to know he is ok. However, continued power cuts seem the most likely reason. :)

Posted

Just want to echo other members comments and say I hope Nick is ok.

I seem to remember him saying his location is prone to power cuts due to strong winds and from what I have seen on the news they have certainly seen some strong winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I bet it will be strange when he returns to find a thread with his name on it!

Posted

I echo everyone's comments above and sincerely hope that Nick is OK.

I'm pretty sure that it's just that he's lost power, and he'll be back with us

again soon.

Hurry up and get in touch Nick, there are a lot of concerned members tonight

Brian :)

Posted
yeah hope you're ok mate, just seen some of the videos on BBC site.

get in touch asap. :)

yeah nick really hope your ok hun x we are all so worried about you xx

Posted

Just want to add my sincere wishes that Nick S is ok.

This storm has caused serious damage to southwestern France and northeastern Spain, certainly a once in a decade type storm.

Hope you post again on here very soon Nick, we are all very concerned. :)

Posted

I would imagine that if the power has gone, then the phone (internet) has almost certainly gone worser. It could be a few days before NS can get online again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
I would imagine that if the power has gone, then the phone (internet) has almost certainly gone worser. It could be a few days before NS can get online again.

Could be a few weeks... we were without power for no less than 6 weeks in 87, it took them that long to fix every substation when hundreds had been knocked out by falling trees. This storm seems on a par with that.

We had a Burns Night dinner tonight and two of our guests didn't turn up, I was a bit miffed with them until I remembered they have a second home in France and that might be the reason — something's happened to it or they've gone there to see if it's ok.

Nick sounds sensible enough to have battened down and stayed inside — I hope he filled his bath so he's got drinking/washing water for a few days.

Posted

Morning Folks

There are still loads of home without power here in SW France and I know nicks area is in the centre of it, so hopefully he will get his power restored sometime today. I am about 150 miles north of Nick and we were just outside the 'red zone' and although the power did not go off here it was like living in a disco at times as the wind blew the power cables around, so we left the computer off until the storm past yesterday evening. I hope your OK Nick

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
we all await nicks return, and my thoughts are with those without power in the affected areas of the bay of biscay.

I am sure nick is OK, just a power outage, I would imagine his is just very frustrated with no broadband connection and sitting next to his lantern trying to keep warm.

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yes hope he gets back online soon, though from the sounds of it he lives in a fairly rural area near the Pyrenees, so it may take a while until the power is back fully. Hope his property hasn't been too damaged, as the foothills of the Pyrenees probably exacerbate wind gusts along the valleys. He mentioned he isn't a great fan of gales and severe thunderstorms, they certainly have an abundence of the latter down there, but high winds are less common

Posted

Can I just say a big thankyou for all the kind words on here. :friends: I'm finally back after nearly 3 days without power which has been very frustrating, you get so used to having things at the flick of a switch you just don't realize how much it effects your life, here although we lost power we were lucky that there was no damage. Sadly other parts werent so lucky with some loss of life as I expect everyones read about. I didn't realize how bad things were until I was listening to the world service on my crackly little portable on Saturday evening, even now some people are without water and electricity. Anyway thanks again all. :yahoo:

I certainly don't want to go through another storm like this, some of the gusts were really quite terrifying and here it wasnt as bad as the Landes which has seen large scale destruction. Looking at the paper this morning apparently some of the coastal locations had their strongest ever recorded winds.

Edited by nick sussex