Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

10 Years Ago To This Date

MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

10 years ago to this date, at a time when I admittedly was very young an mostly unaware of what was happening with the weather, there were some fantastic thunderstorm in the southern half of the country, not only on the night of the 27th, but also early morning on the 28th and the afternoon of the 29th May 1999. We had a LOT of rain in those days though I was not recording back then but the lightning displays were fantastic and the thunder was unbelievably loud.

Thursday 27th:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119990527.gif

Friday 28th:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119990528.gif

Saturday 29th:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119990529.gif

The following two days afterwards turned rather boring with steady drizzle followed by dryness and then the process repeated. The 2nd June 1999 also proved good for thunderstorms in some parts though not in here in Bristol.

Does anyone else in the southern counties remember these thunderstorms?

Posted

I'm fairly sure that that Thursday evening gave the best spider lightning I've ever seen in this country, can remember stopping in the car about a mile from home to watch it. The Saturday saw a huge, and in places green (denoting hail), CB edge in from the W/SW after a hot sunny morning which I think was an MCS - anyone recall the BBC Weather lightning symbol animation?...it was brilliant that day! If I've got the timescale correct there was a vivid storm on the following Tuesday night too but I wasn't taking readings/making records at that time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just referring to a couple of posts made in a seperate thread from a few weeks ago......

Hi AJ. I know this is a bit off topic, but was that by any chance a Saturday afternoon?

If so, and I'm certain this happened in 1999, I can recall a hot sunny Saturday morning with a dramatic change around 14.00 as a massive CB edged in from the West. That was the only time I've seen a genuinely green cloud and there proceeded to be around 2 hours of torrential rain with frequent lightning. Speaking with the knowledge I have now, I think it was an MCS.

Yes Andy that was it!

My son's birthday was on the wednesday, and my family travelled up from Devon on the saturday morning, and we had the storm that afternoon...What was remarkable that within an hour or so of the storm moving off, the ground was bone dry and the BBQ was a success! :good: ....On a side note, I noiced that Salisbury Plain was always a very good 'breeding ground' for summer storms

I remember these storms well, the one's on the saturday afternoon were incredible...They drifted up from salisbury plain,and gave incredible skies full of boiling, bubbling, green tinged clouds...One to remember!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
10 years ago to this date, at a time when I admittedly was very young an mostly unaware of what was happening with the weather, there were some fantastic thunderstorm in the southern half of the country, not only on the night of the 27th, but also early morning on the 28th and the afternoon of the 29th May 1999. We had a LOT of rain in those days though I was not recording back then but the lightning displays were fantastic and the thunder was unbelievably loud.

Thursday 27th:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119990527.gif

Friday 28th:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119990528.gif

Saturday 29th:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119990529.gif

The following two days afterwards turned rather boring with steady drizzle followed by dryness and then the process repeated. The 2nd June 1999 also proved good for thunderstorms in some parts though not in here in Bristol.

Does anyone else in the southern counties remember these thunderstorms?

i just bought my first camcorder and have those thunderstorms on video somewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
i just bought my first camcorder and have those thunderstorms on video somewhere.

Oh wow, that must have been great! Could you upload them sometime, I'm sure I am not the only one who would like to see them :D .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
Oh wow, that must have been great! Could you upload them sometime, I'm sure I am not the only one who would like to see them B) .

if i knew how??? they r on the mini 8 video format..have my kids on there to when they were just babies...not sure how to transfer it all

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

A strange set-up that,I remember this too the way I`ve written it down.

On the 27th there was thundery rain from 11am-1pm at 21c.

Next day was just humid and windy!!

More thundery light rain on the 29th,17c down to 11c that day, then dropped to just 9c by the 30th and it felt raw.