Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Thunderstorm Over The Mendips

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Thursday 23rd July

After a largely dry and sunny day with the temperature above 23C by 3pm, the usual long line of showers developed just inland of the Mendips and gradually grew into thunderstorms. Of course I was not far enough inland to catch any of the action overhead but thunder was heard over the Mendips from 5.30pm and after I took these, the Mendips disappeared from view underneath the very low cloud base and heavy rain.

All photos can be found here: http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww62/Bristol_Weather/31-Jul%2009/10-23rd/?albumview=grid

The storm first appearing to the south as wispy cu-nimbs.

072303.jpg

072305.jpg

Out onto the moors and the storms have progressed NNEwards with very dark ominous cloud bases.

072307.jpg

072314.jpg

072319.jpg

072320.jpg

072321.jpg

Back at home and the cloud base is visible trying to move further towards me but the storm carries on a more NE track.

072328.jpg

072334.jpg

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Nice pictures

thanks for sharing

Nigel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Nice photos Michael,

Like yourself I was to near the coast to benifit the full effect of the storms this last week.

I don't no if you have noticed, but having a South Westerly flow when there are thunder storms about, limits our chances of them affecting our area.

I think it is because of the Bristol channel, and the showers weaken over it, and when they hit land again around Weston, it takes a while before they gain strength again, and by that time they are way f to our East.

Our best chance of good thunder storms are from a South or South Easterly direction.

Posted

Thanks for the replies guys!

I don't no if you have noticed, but having a South Westerly flow when there are thunder storms about, limits our chances of them affecting our area.

I think it is because of the Bristol channel, and the showers weaken over it, and when they hit land again around Weston, it takes a while before they gain strength again, and by that time they are way f to our East.

Our best chance of good thunder storms are from a South or South Easterly direction.

Yes I have noticed that. It can vary and maybe it is down to wind direction. On days like Thursday we almost never get the storms, though when there is an area of low pressure involved where showers and storms circle around the low, we often get them good. Some examples are 21st May 2005, 1st October 2006, 17th May 2009. There were some real intense downpours and storms on these days as storm after storm hit the area.

I find that as you say days with southeasterly airstreams are good and sometimes the best storms come from a more E-ENE direction e.g. 10th May 2006, 9th May 2008 and 28th July 2008 - all of which were homegrowns. Imports you can pretty much forget here. I think the only major import events that stick out are 4th July 2001 and 24th June 2005. I think we were just lucky on 28th June 2005.

Regards

Posted

Michael,I hope you don't mind me adding a few photos here, but that evening I was up on Westbury White Horse with the convergence zone showers running approximately 20 miles to the North/North West.

There were 5 rain curtains falling from one of the CBs just before 20.00...

post-107-12487963291545_thumb.jpg

The above CB moved to the East and was replaced by this one which we watched develop as it crossed onto the Mendip area from the Bristol Channel at around 20.37...

post-107-12487964705945_thumb.jpg

Rain curtains became visible 8 minutes after the second CB came into good view as it continued to develop...

post-107-12487965734366_thumb.jpg

It really is interesting living in this region where there are so many possibilities for convergence zones!

Posted

Michael,I hope you don't mind me adding a few photos here, but that evening I was up on Westbury White Horse with the convergence zone showers running approximately 20 miles to the North/North West.

There were 5 rain curtains falling from one of the CBs just before 20.00...

post-107-12487963291545_thumb.jpg

The above CB moved to the East and was replaced by this one which we watched develop as it crossed onto the Mendip area from the Bristol Channel at around 20.37...

post-107-12487964705945_thumb.jpg

Rain curtains became visible 8 minutes after the second CB came into good view as it continued to develop...

post-107-12487965734366_thumb.jpg

It really is interesting living in this region where there are so many possibilities for convergence zones!

Thanks for those Andy. Shows the storm line from the other side - nice shots. :lol: