Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Perseids

Posted

Well we are at that time of year again when the Earth passes through rock and dust fragments left behind by the comet Swift-Tuttle.

The best time to be looking for them will be just after Dark tomorrow evening.

Does anybody know if we will have clear skies to see this event?

Posted

Well we are at that time of year again when the Earth passes through rock and dust fragments left behind by the comet Swift-Tuttle.

good chance of clear skies for SE overnight of Tuesday and Wednesday, but the moonlight may restrict good views

courtesy BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8193769.stm

post-2025-12499506070784_thumb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

Does look like clear skies probable this evening.:rolleyes:

I may try to cycle toLeith hill to get a good view away from City lights. However this is aMISSION of a CYCLE away and will take many hours, although i have beena few times before in the light.. do you think it will be worth it??I've never seen a single 'shooting star' before/...:mellow: [but then i've never looked]

Oh and my only compass doesn't seem to point north so finnding NE is going 2 be tricky business.

Edited by OldGreggsTundraBoy

Posted

Does look like clear skies probable this evening.:rolleyes:

I may try to cycle toLeith hill to get a good view away from City lights. However this is aMISSION of a CYCLE away and will take many hours, although i have beena few times before in the light.. do you think it will be worth it??I've never seen a single 'shooting star' before/...:mellow: [but then i've never looked]

Oh and my only compass doesn't seem to point north so finnding NE is going 2 be tricky business.

Try this link :)

Posted

I've seen nothing. A bright Moon hasn't helped being in the radiant sector. And as for the BBC weather forcast for the evening of 12th August when it said clear skies over the Midlands for the phenomenon which was allegedly even better than the previous nights display.

I wouldn't trust you lot to boil a frickin' egg!

Set my alarm for 4.am (now yesterday as I type) morning. It was cloudy until just after sunrise this morning. (Sod's Law or what?)

Even as I type... (12:29am - 14/8/2009) Still cloudy so I can call the Perseids 2009 a write-off.

:whistling:

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I got a great show for about half an hour just after midnight of the 12th up at the Slochd summit. The skies were completely clear, moon was hidden behind a cloud in the distance and there was absolutely no light pollution or people for miles and miles except from my family (it was a tiny bit Texas Chainsaw Massacre-ish though). Really, really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next one.

Edited by NorthernRab