Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heating On Yet?

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

No heating on here yet, normally at least another month or two before it gets a bit chilly in our house. College however has been putting the heating on, it's too warm for me though especially during 3hrs of IT in a small cramped room lol.

Edited by James M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Well this thread has certainly shown a big span of both peoples tolerance to cold and their home's micro climate!

Some of you wait until your glass of water by your bed has begun freezing whereas some of you can't cope when you can't wander round nude without sweating!

I think our homes must make a huge difference in seasonal preference - those in very insulated communal buildings with a lot of outside noise must love winter and despise summer. Whereas those living in quieter areas in houses that get cold would much prefer something warmer.

For me, having outdoors & indoors temperatures at a similar level allowing air exchange between the two is the perfect scenario. Hence I prefer summer as that comes the closest to that match. The rest of the time you're having to manually create that balance which usually means cutting off that air exchange which is never a good thing for health or well being.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Our heating usually goes on in mid november. the house is fine to sit in a t shirt in all day / night at the moment & its maintaining 22-23 at the moment. it wont go on until we get below 19 degrees in side. which is usually in early- mid november. the joys of being in the south east!

You must have a well insulated house to maintain those temperatures now. I have heating on from quite early but then house isnt that modern with my single pane windows.

I aim to keep inside between 18-20c generally but on colder days and nights here of recent weeks it does get down to 15-17c which i think is a bit chilly. cold.gif

Last winter i even resorted to leaving central heating on at night which is rare because its normally set to turn off at 11pm and turn back on at 7am however it was getting down to single figures inside.

I also work outside every day so for me i like to enjoy the warmth of the house and car for that matter and pump heating right up, but on flip side of the coin when we do get heat waves i pump the air conditioning up in bedroom to keep it at around 18-20c although have not needed that often here in west this year.

Posted

My heating won't be on for a while yet, but it depends on a lot of factors I suppose. Especially if you live in an old property. Definitely a few people in the area with open fires on the go, judging by the chimney smoke I saw on my walk with the dog last night - first I've seen this season though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers and Deepest darkest snows of Winter

This time of year always leads to 'heating contention' in my house. My wife feels the cold easily and turns blue, whereas I am a hot person and am happiest when I can feel the chill of Autumn. I heard the soft click of the heating coming on last night for the first time.

My house is very old and damp, which makes every degree fall in temperature feel like a step closer to permafrost. Because the walls of the house are solid lime, flint and lathe and the celings low, it heats up quickly but once you pull the plug on the heating, it's like sitting in a Siberian ice house.

The most difficult thing is deciding when to change duvets from Summer (0-4.5 tog) to Autumn (9 tog) to Winter (15 tog). My wife would love the Winter duvet year round, but I find it so heavy that it pins my legs to the bed and I wake from dreams of my local lido as another wave of sweat hits me.

We had a new condenser boiler installed 2 years ago - it has made a huge difference to our bills (lower) and to the heating effectiveness. The old boiler would struggle in mid-Winter to heat the water to 30c (cold showers were the norm.) whereas now, we have scorching water on tap. Magnificent!

Mid-Winter, the night time temperatures in the bedrooms usually hover around 12c, Mid-Summer they are about 19c. One boon of having a damp house and a powerful heating system is that Winter evenings with the heating on can feel more like a steam room - our peak temperature last Winter was 28c in our sitting room where there is a log burning stove and central heating! All other rooms in the house at the time peaked at a modest 18c.

Posted

Our heating usually goes on in mid november. the house is fine to sit in a t shirt in all day / night at the moment & its maintaining 22-23 at the moment. it wont go on until we get below 19 degrees in side. which is usually in early- mid november. the joys of being in the south east!

my house is similar by a couple of degrees. usually in the winter its around 20. today for example it stayed at 21 for a lot of the day. yep. the joys of the SE :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The most difficult thing is deciding when to change duvets from Summer (0-4.5 tog) to Autumn (9 tog) to Winter (15 tog). My wife would love the Winter duvet year round, but I find it so heavy that it pins my legs to the bed and I wake from dreams of my local lido as another wave of sweat hits me.

This is a frequent topic of discussion at Chateau Terminal. About this time of year Mrs Terminal begins hinting that the evenings are getting cool and we should be thinking of changing to the winter duvet whereas I'd be quite happy with the summer one until about December.

With regard to the heating; it's been on twice early this month when we had a couple of cool and windy evenings. Had we been dressed in something other than shorts and flip flops we could have left it off and saved the money.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

Oddly enough a surprisingly similar conversation has started the last few days between Mrs Stargazer and myself :good: To be fair Mrs S still accepts that it's not that cold and just puts an extra layer on for now.

The house is a typical 100 year old solid walled terrace and the heating is very primitive such that there is no means of switching it off completely without turning the hot water off too. Looked into correcting this but it involves demolishing too many partition walls to get at the point where the hot water tank feed comes off the heating system. Anyhoo...all the radiators are thermostatic and set to about 20 deg C and left there most of the year - and they haven't come on yet.

Posted

Heating on tonight, my mum loves to have the windows open around 3pm till 5pm when she gets in to let some fresh air in the house, today was cold compared to late and it felt it in the house, so stuck the heating on for an hour and its fine now, the house is new so so we have combi boiler and all these other energy saving things so the house heats up and stays warm pretty quickly and for a long time smile.gif The heating at the moment will only be one for couple of hours max at this time of the year plus its very rarely on at this time of year.

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

Just had a heating system installed this summer as daytime temps in the house were down to single figures last winter, being home all day it was just too much.......must be getting old. I've been having a good time winding up family and friends that I'm not intending putting it on, too expensive, but so far it's still nice and warm in the evening. We have very thick old walls and are south facing so are still retaining a lot of warmth. The other half will just keep putting on more layers until I set the programmer.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

......One boon of having a damp house and a powerful heating system is that Winter evenings with the heating on can feel more like a steam room - our peak temperature last Winter was 28c in our sitting room where there is a log burning stove and central heating! All other rooms in the house at the time peaked at a modest 18c.

Sounds like you need thermostatic rad valves, especially in the sitting room. Pretty easy to install, and they'll work particularly well with your modern, probably variable-output boiler - it should cut your heating bill even further. Mind you, it sounds suspicously like you enjoy basking in 28C!?

My heating's certainly not on yet here in South London. But it got pretty chilly the other evening (the kitchen where I spend most of my time faces the currently relentless NE wind), and I must confess that after cooking my supper I, um, "forgot" to turn the gas hob off for a while....

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

On tonight as a north easterly breeze brought the inside temp down to 17C. Too cold for my Mother.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Evening everyone

Coldest night since last winter, current temp here in the North East just 7.9c

Dew point down to 3.4c

We have had 3 days of North Easterly breezes,

BRRRRRR

its gonna be a a very long winter

Posted

Holes have been made in the North Sea fields in the last couple of days thanks to my dear other half- while I've been sweating in a T-shirt as she wears a fleece. The worst thing about having the heating on before it's cold enough is the way it sends me to sleep only to wake up 2 hours later unable to sleep again that night. I find the car heater does the same thing if I leave it on too long on a crisp sunny day.

Posted

No heating on here, and I doubt it will be until December at the earliest - and later still if a potential mild winter comes to fruitition. At the moment I am sat here with the windows open and a nice breeze coming in.

Posted

I'll keep the fire in tonight for the first time this year, but won't bung the heating itself on. The chimney stack acts as a radiator and helps take the chill off the house on a cold morning, and it's 4.8C here right now and dropping fast.

Posted

Since investing in a wireless weather station, I've been surprised how constatnt my indoor temperat5ure is, rarely deviating by more than 2C either side of 19C. But 17C at 06:00 feels cold after getting out of the bath!!

OMG you're from Aldborough, went there on holiday this year, fell in love with the village. And Aylsham the little town. Thinking of moving.

Ahem sorry back on topic. Our indoor temp is always between 20-23c, and hasn't changed in months. Thank goodness for cavity wall insulation and loft insulation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

We're not far off putting gas fire on now with living room temp just holding at 20.3c. First angle of attack to shut the house cold zones off - first zone downstairs toilet/utility room then comes kitchen in cold zone 2...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I'll keep the fire in tonight for the first time this year, but won't bung the heating itself on. The chimney stack acts as a radiator and helps take the chill off the house on a cold morning, and it's 4.8C here right now and dropping fast.

4.8??? I'd have lit the fire too if it were that chilly, it's still 12C here, what a difference location makes eh.

Posted

No heating on here, and I doubt it will be until December at the earliest - and later still if a potential mild winter comes to fruitition. At the moment I am sat here with the windows open and a nice breeze coming in.

Same here. And if I do have the heating on (usually when we get a run of frosts) it's only for a couple of hours. And the thermostat is set at 15c

Must say, I'd be very uncomfortable sitting in some folks houses!

If it get's really cold I shut the window (downstairs; bedroom window is never closed - even when it's down to -10c outside, though in such circumstances I may dig out the duvet). And in extremis I put clothes on :good:

Posted

No heating as yet, still fairly mild in this part of the world though, daytime over the last couple of weeks 16 - 20c and night time 7 - 12c so no need for heating yet, just stick a jumper on if there is a slight chill in the evening (I feel the cold before others). Usually I expect it will go on once daytime maxes are around 13/14c and mins 5/6c and that will only be after I have given in to the wifes nagging!