Harry

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

I'm in Dorset and at the moment its very gloomy outside with winds picking up a fair bit in the last 10 mins....has been raining on and off since about 10am this morning but nothing much..

Anyone know how bad its gonna get or is the media hyping things up too much again...?!

Take care all x

Nobody can say exactly HOW bad it is going to get but the (key word) potential is there for a very very severe storm, not just hitting the coasts either. These systems are notoriously difficult to track exactly and have a habit of changing course and/or deepening/filling within just a few hours of actually hitting us.

But even if it doesn't transpire to be a one in xx year event then it will still be mighty windy and mighty wet tonight/tomorrow morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Just had light rain most the day here.

Looking at the radar, things seem to be further West than predicted???.

Posted

The Met Office wind speeds have been updated. At the moment, the highest predicted gusts I've seen is 77mph for Plymouth, with gusts into the high 60s or touching 70mph across the south coast - 76mph for the IOW.

Here, some decent gusts into the low 50s, which is not bad.

check the warning page my friend, nothing for us !! no warnings etc

Posted

Nobody can say exactly HOW bad it is going to get but the (key word) potential is there for a very very severe storm, not just hitting the coasts either. These systems are notoriously difficult to track exactly and have a habit of changing course and/or deepening/filling within just a few hours of actually hitting us.

But even if it doesn't transpire to be a one in xx year event then it will still be mighty windy and mighty wet tonight/tomorrow morning!

A 'very very severe storm' is surely something like a one in 25/50 years year event not something that happens every other year even across the far South of the UK never mind every year in Northern Scotland.

Historical context is required here.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Wind really picking up here, had some heavy rain and its very dark.

With overhead power lines for this place (and passing through the woods higher up) I expect to get some power cuts... we invariably do in any type of storm (big or small)

Posted

Is it me or is this rain band moving incredibly slow?

The Met update the warning's in real time so would expect this to change throughout the day..

Doesn't seem to be doing much I agree. And it seems alot further West than predicted too. Just a light breeze & light rain for most the day here.

Posted

I'm sorry, don't mean to be rude...but what is your point? I know there are no warnings for the Midlands. I know that the main area of interest is for the far SW and along the south coast. I'm just happy that some lively weather is coming!

yes mate no probs, and please dont take me the wrong way ! i thought earlier we had a warning of strong winds ( ok not like south ) and rain, I`m out gigging tonight and my boss hates wind she thought she was in on her own with strong gusts !! now its all changed !!

Posted

Doesn't seem to be doing much I agree. And it seems alot further West than predicted too. Just a light breeze & light rain for most the day here.

Lol..Hi Steve...

I expect or hope this band to develope as the evening goes on..If not its just going to be a windy event for some.

But as many times in the past these rain system's do seem to grow as the hrs go by..

If not a drizzle event :lol: for rain anyhow

Posted

I'm sorry, don't mean to be rude...but what is your point? I know there are no warnings for the Midlands. I know that the main area of interest is for the far SW and along the south coast. I'm just happy that some lively weather is coming!

What he basically means is the same i have been saying all along, even the metoffice wind charts are way off, they show wind gusts of 40mph for me throughout, and then at 09:00 tomorrow and 12:00PM tomorrow they show no gusts and wind speeds of 25mph when the LP is bang smack over me with very tight isobars.

The metoffice dont have a clue, they only favour the london area and south as they are biast! Thats a fact. The main reason is because its more heavily populated.

Last night they didnt give me a warning for heavy rain, they did further south, and guess what it absolutely hammered it down for well over an hour with standing water and drains blocked.

Edited by Paul

Yahoo have there own story here http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20091113/tuk-weekend-to-witness-worst-storm-of-th-dba1618.html

Weekend to witness 'worst storm of the year'

The weekend will be washed out by the worst storm of the year, with gale-force gusts and heavy rain on its way, forecasters have warned.

Well when they say worst storm of the year I hope there meaning southern parts only because if there meaning the whole of the UK, in January our local airport hit 120mph in a massive storm.

Posted

Just as a heads up for everyone taking part in this thread, it's going to get busy and we don't have time to be playing referee to petty arguments so anyone who does fancy arguing please think twice as you'll just find you won't be able to post again for at least 24 hours..

Back to the weather - gusts picking up now..

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=current;type=maxg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Thats being rude smile.gif

What he basically means is the same i have been saying all along, even the metoffice wind charts are way off, they show wind gusts of 40mph for me throughout, and then at 09:00 tomorrow and 12:00PM tomorrow they show no gusts and wind speeds of 25mph when the LP is bang smack over me with very tight isobars.

The metoffice dont have a clue, they only favour the london area and south as they are biast! Thats a fact. The main reason is because its more heavily populated.

Last night they didnt give me a warning for heavy rain, they did further south, and guess what it absolutely hammered it down for well over an hour with standing water and drains blocked.

I think saying that the Met Office do not have a clue is being a bit OTT in my opinion. They get their data from what the Super Computers are chucking out, it is not some pen pusher making this stuff up.

They may upgrade your area later if the need is there, just be patient pardon.gif

Edited by mam500

Posted

Lol..Hi Steve...

I expect or hope this band to develope as the evening goes on..If not its just going to be a windy event for some.

But as many times in the past these rain system's do seem to grow as the hrs go by..

If not a drizzle event laugh.gif for rain anyhow

I hope this doesn't get as bad as predicted for my area. Don't like high winds

Posted

Just as a heads up for everyone taking part in this thread, it's going to get busy and we don't have time to be playing referee to petty arguments so anyone who does fancy arguing please think twice as you'll just find you won't be able to post again for at least 24 hours..

Back to the weather - gusts picking up now..

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=current;type=maxg

just going to say that Paul..

Rain to moderate now here with strongs gusts of wind.

We have two roads impassible with floods at present..

Sure it will increase throughout the night

Steve Im worried about my man made shed to be honest...And the fences as this will cost a fortune to sort out if they come down

edit..

AJ going to stick my neck out and say somewhere there will be a 100 mph recorded

heard it here FIRST...LOL

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The fastest wind gust will be 78 mph, and will be recorded at berry head, brixham....(I'm brixham born and bred, so slight favouritism...lol) You read it here first!!

Posted

I hope this doesn't get as bad as predicted for my area. Don't like high winds

I noticed EasyTide has some particulary high tides predicted for your area in the small hours of the morning as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

highest gust in Wales will be on the Mumbles head, i guess 68mph :lol:

Posted

If anyone is Looking North from Margate there is an amazing looking Cell On Radar, has the correct look about, would love to be down there looking North right now!

Paul S

Posted

If anyone is Looking North from Margate there is an amazing looking Cell On Radar, has the correct look about, would love to be down there looking North right now!

Paul S

Welcome back Paul, i said that because i ain't seen you posting for ages!

If you had to place a bet, what area would you favour for thunderstorms/funnels. I personally think around the CAMB/Peterborough area.

lewis

Edited by Lewis

Posted

Just in from the 12z,

Saturday 6am

Saturday 9am

Saturday 12pm

A huge downgrade, the 12z shows it not as deep, it just fills out with now EA more likely to see the most stormy weather (after the SW gets hit first)

Game over for moi.

Edited by Lewis

Posted

I noticed EasyTide has some particulary high tides predicted for your area in the small hours of the morning as well.

They haven't finished putting up the sea defences yetcc_confused.gif