Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Friday 13th / Sat 14th Storms

Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just having a peruse at the FAX chart for the up and coming week - been very changeable recently, but could not help but notice the similarities in that particular chart (Fri 13th) to the 1987 storm!!

Will be very interesting to see what happens on Friday into Saturday if the charts continue to resemble this!!

Edited by Harry

Posted

Latest GFS is showing signs of intensification of said system - worst of any weather appears to zip up to sit off the NW Scotland - expected centre at present of 956 - 960!

Posted

yes, looking very gusty friday/saturday. Met Officve are forecasting gusts of around 36 mph to 59 mph across the UK on saturday daytime. us here in London may have a breezy day with gusts around 43 mph during the day :D

Posted

worst of any weather appears to zip up to sit off the NW Scotland

8)

friday%20the%2013th.jpg

Posted

This apepars to be the storm at it's peak. Very stormy in south west approaches, before moving north and weakening slowly. Some very heavy rain though.

http://209.197.11.123/c9s4a5k3/cds/gfsimages/gfs.20091110/12/78/h500slp.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=841a626ccee3f65eceb3f60e1f76fd51ceb3f6de&dopsig=c96e497dcd62dbcdf54558b602547a0e

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

This weekend is just the start, keep watching for further storms and possibly further intensification. I think one a few days later will be looked at and talked about too. Models having big problems at the moment and none of them foresaw this stormy peak energy period coming....there's more to come.

BFTP

Posted

Friday night is now starting to look very severe for my location.

18z deepens it further...............with cork the bullseye!

Sustained 50 kph winds

http://69.16.188.141/c9s4a5k3/cds/gfsimages/gfs.20091110/18/78/ukwind.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=0b1e960e41e773e941b773e9907278a2&dopsig=66dd3603c0cd1e120138abc3f22b41b7

Edited by kippure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Now I am a man that loves storms but I am right in thinking that sailing from Portsmouth to St Malo at 9pm on Friday 13 might not but the best move ever?

because that is what I will be doing

Tom

Posted

There's a lot of activity starting to show up, but yep, it's mostly heading for France!

Rtavn6611.png

gfs_spout_eur69.png

Although I may just be in the firing line later in the night.......

Rtavn729.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The Met' office fax' charts have a slightly different take on things with the strongest winds during the first half of Saturday across central and southern Britain, just ahead of an occlusion swinging around the southern side of the low.

The GFS wind speed charts on extra show mean speeds around 30-35 mph across the north Midlands and the southern half of northern England on Saturday morning so some agreement there.

It is a long way off for detail though.

Posted

Friday night into Saturday could well be fun for some. A trough is presently forecast to come rattling up from the SW, and sweep across the Southern areas of England, Wales also, through Saturday AM and into the early afternoon. Coupled with some fairly strong winds also, I would suspect a warning from Torro also.

Could be an interesting start to the weekend :D

post-3790-12579340513019_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

is confidence still high for south west Scotland it just that i notice the met-office has removed the weather warning completely

any information is greatly appreciated

Posted

is confidence still high for south west Scotland it just that i notice the met-office has removed the weather warning completely

TBH this time tomorrow people will be better placed to answer that. But at this point, it does look likely to be more of a Southerly event (especially overnight).

Rtavn609.png

Rtavn544.png

gfs_spout_eur60.png

and into Saturday:

Rtavn789.png

Rtavn784.png

gfs_spout_eur72.png

If your in the SW of England, you better get your wellies ready!

Posted

If you were coming in from the West on Friday, you might get a good tailwind!

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_UL-TURBULENCE-STANDARD_48.gif

Posted

Nooooooo

Cancel, I need you next year on the Stormchases!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

maybe i need to take my camcorder

I will give a storm report from the other side, of the channel. i got my sealegs bought.

Posted

maybe i need to take my camcorder

I will give a storm report from the other side, of the channel. i got my sealegs bought.

Sorry but 9:00pm Friday looks to be one of the windiest periods here on the South Coast. Hope you don't have a problem with seasickness as those cross channel ferries can be a bit bumpy :lol:. I have been on a ferry in a F10 in Bay of Biscay with no sickness problems but was sick in a F7 crossing the channel, reckon it was the difference in the way the ferries handled the waves. Wish you luck.

Posted

Hey guys,

Looking very windy this weekend, i agree that its more of a "Southern event" in terms of rainfall, but i don't agree in respect to the highest wind speeds, i think East Anglia/East Mids/Lincs/Yorkshire will record the highest wind gust, i'm going for 74mph spurn point :lol:

Posted

Sorry but 9:00pm Friday looks to be one of the windiest periods here on the South Coast. Hope you don't have a problem with seasickness as those cross channel ferries can be a bit bumpy :lol:. I have been on a ferry in a F10 in Bay of Biscay with no sickness problems but was sick in a F7 crossing the channel, reckon it was the difference in the way the ferries handled the waves. Wish you luck.

Well thanks for that. I have done a F9 and slept but this trip longer 11.5 hrs to be exact. Will take on board some wine and my sealegs so will hopefully get my head down , on the bed and not the loo. Will keep you all posted.

Tom