Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Appleby And The River Eden

Posted

After 120mm of rain in the past 6 days, and 60mm over the past 36 hours, here's the River Eden in Appleby this morning.

post-717-12585497723336_thumb.jpg My office (at the back of the Bay Tree) with the water level nicely marking my ground-floor level. Normally it's a good 8 or 9 ft below that.

post-717-12585498096292_thumb.jpg The Sands, where every year Gypsies come from miles around to drown horses in the summer sunshine.

post-717-12585498886426_thumb.jpg Soon to be renamed Riverbed Fish and Chips.

post-717-12585499471914_thumb.jpg A bit of a tight squeeze. Normally, it looks like this - 3015138243_e2055ea038_o.jpg

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted

Even I feel for the poor sods that live along the Eden at the moment. This could easily exceed the January 2005 episode when Carlisle was nearly washed away. They have increased the flood defences since then, but for some people, nothing's going to hold this lot back.

I've just had an email off Hannah Bayman at Look North saying she was hoping to use the 2nd photo in this lunchtime's bulletin. It's not the national news, but I suppose I can lower my standards this once.

Posted

yep. last thing people would need in the run up to Xmas is to be dealing with the aftermath of a flood. i presume many people are putting up defences already

Posted

After the last flood, in 2005, the Environment Agency increased the flood defences for houses along the sands, and has issued floodgates for other properties, which are the blue things you can see in the doorways. Combined with sandbags, they seem to be holding the water back this time, but I can't imagine they're completely watertight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I hope they have started to construct an ark?

It looks like it could be pretty serious/dangerous if what is forecast in the next 72hrs is correct.

Edited by mam500

Posted

I'm moving all my accounting information and tax receipts downstairs, along with any outstanding bills.

while you are at it OON, pop next door and ask them to refresh the webcam. not updated since ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk...y1_webcam.shtml

last updated: 16/07/2009 at 15:45

laugh.gif

i assume the outstanding bills are ones to be paid to you rather than the ones you have to pay

Edited by MAF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Dangerous situation by the look of things.

Your pictures my end up on the nation news by the end of the week