Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell General Discussion

Posted

Unsuprisingly he acknowledged the possible event, but stated this is "the best event in the christmas pudding" or some rubbish like that. Check the last page of the previous model thread.

If we had an ice age he would still stick by his theory until the bitter end.

I think you are wrong to knock Ian, I disagree with his theory, mainly because the tmescales are too short, but he's been a knowlegable advocate and and, even if he is proved wrong, he was right to point out the facts as he saw them.

We learn by debate, and in the end the practical result will prove or disprove the theory and, even if we end up with a 1947 style winter (and God help most people on this forum if we do) unless we get another within 5 years, Ian still has the chance of being proved correct

Posted

can i ask if ecm came off around 168 hours to 240 hrs where would the main batch of snow be and could i get a lot of snow. i havent really had or seen a lot of drifting snow, last febs snow was thick but not drifting up the walls etc.dry.gif

Posted

i can not see it being that mild if it is being forecasted. besides this should be in the cold spell discussion.

erm it is in the cold spell discussion anyway back to cold spell general discussion

Posted

Just a quick point.... chasing snow drifts in a metro is great fun! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif not that i can say i have ever done it...whistling.gif

ha, I'll bet

I've was in Southern Germany for a couple of years, where they know how to keep roads clear (and you can still have some fun even with winter tyres)

I live out in the back of beyond (as they say -- 'in the sticks') and I'll make sure I have at least 2 weeks food in. In my lifetime I've been snowed in for a week once, and if you don't have food, it's no fun.

But I do have my homebrewed beer, so I'll be happy :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think you are wrong to knock Ian, I disagree with his theory, mainly because the tmescales are too short, but he's been a knowlegable advocate and and, even if he is proved wrong, he was right to point out the facts as he saw them.

We learn by debate, and in the end the practical result will prove or disprove the theory and, even if we end up with a 1947 style winter (and God help most people on this forum if we do) unless we get another within 5 years, Ian still has the chance of being proved correct

Oh I agree that Ian knows his stuff, and does make some excellent posts (some very recently regarding the cold spell). I just don't agree with the constant use of the modern era to explain pretty much everything and the refusal to accept it might not exist.

Anyway, pub run coming up...

Models are completely stunning tonight. All models indicate a very extended cold and snowy spell lasting perhaps for over a week. Anybody thats disappointed with the output tonight and is looking for cold is just icon_smile_clown.gif

Yeah very odd indeed, can't believe some of the comments tonight when such stunning model output form all sources is there, if they aren't happy with tonights output and pick niggles with them they`ll never be happy, as someone said even Jan 1987 would of disappointed them.

Posted

people are saying it will get milder for a day or two early next week. i know it will be cold this weekend but i thought the eastly wind was coming next monday? surely anyway if that brief mild spell did come it would fall as snow as the rain meets the cold air?

what rain will meet the cold air? there will be hardly much rian anyway. it will be high pressure still and it will be hardly mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Speaking to a friend this evening who works at the local gritting station which supplys grit and salt all over the UK

They have had three mile tail backs all day with lorries waiting to get salt to distribute to all local councils within the UK

He reckons within the next 12 days the UK will be under a deep blanket of Snow and they get all there info from the

Met officebiggrin.gif

C.S

haha typical rubbish!

Posted

Oh I agree that Ian knows his stuff, and does make some excellent posts (some very recently regarding the cold spell). I just don't agree with the constant use of the christmas pudding to explain pretty much everything and the refusal to accept it might not exist.

Anyway, pub run coming up...

Do I agree with that??

YES with a vengence. I was one of the one's a few weeks ago telling him to stop using the term.

Ahh, the Pub run. Settle back and watch the fun

Posted

Been busy all day so not been online for 24 hours and after last night's 12zs was of the opinion that it was game over really.

But was thinking this afternoon - do we all remember the wobbles late last Jan with the models in the same sort of range before the early Feb easterly? food for thought maybe, but still waiting another 48 hours before talking about it to anyone lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Yeah very odd indeed, can't believe some of the comments tonight when such stunning model output form all sources is there, if they aren't happy with tonights output and pick niggles with them they`ll never be happy, as someone said even Jan 1987 would of disappointed them.

In deed, if your not happy with the model output tonight......take up a new hobby.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/sw_forecast_weather.html

See link, days 6 to 13 (14th to 23rd December) risk of snow for the northeastern part of the southwest, if you know what I mean.

I refuse to get excited yet. :drinks:

No harm in keeping me fingers crossed, mind! :cold:

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

is it really going to be that cold and snowy as people are saying ie warnings of driving etc. i doubt well get above 20cm i think our best bet is wedsnesday onwards. the nw snow charts only show 4cm...

Posted

erm it is in the cold spell discussion anyway back to cold spell general discussion

erm you posted it in the MO thread a few mins ago, it just got moved in here because it was off topic. you know that it was moved anyway and thats why you are being sarcastic enough to say it is in the cold spell thread when it got put here by the mods , not you.rolleyes.gifwallbash.gifnonono.gif

i answered your question so there is no need to be smart with me or whatever like you have done before and i am not gonna sit here and argue with you.

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/sw_forecast_weather.html

See link, days 6 to 13 (14th to 23rd December) risk of snow for the northeastern part of the southwest, if you know what I mean.

I refuse to get excited yet. :drinks:

No harm in keeping me fingers crossed, mind! :cold:

Sorry to disappoint but the Met Office don't write individual LRFs for each of the regions. The one you are viewing there is the nationwide one.

Posted

is it really going to be that cold and snowy as people are saying ie warnings of driving etc. i doubt well get above 20cm i think our best bet is wedsnesday onwards. the nw snow charts only show 4cm...

those snow charts for how much snow you will get imo are not that accurate and people have warned each other because thats usually the case anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

SURELY THIS CANT BE CORRECT FOR MONDAY

it will change, and will probably be a downgrade

Posted

those snow charts for how much snow you will get imo are not that accurate and people have warned each other because thats usually the case anyway.

so how much snow can iesxpect her considering im in north eastern northern ireland ie closer to scotland and the snow showers?? also is weds-thrus expected to be a big event it looks like it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Do I agree with that??

YES with a vengence. I was one of the one's a few weeks ago telling him to stop using the term.

Ahh, the Pub run. Settle back and watch the fun

oh i must run off to the pub for a couple of drinks before i read the madness that will occur as the pub run comes out....drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

SURELY THIS CANT BE CORRECT FOR MONDAY

That would be nice LOL

C.S

Posted

so how much snow can iesxpect her considering im in north eastern northern ireland ie closer to scotland and the snow showers?? also is weds-thrus expected to be a big event it looks like it.

im not sure but you would get some snow i think.and its midweek things seem to look very interesting, with it kicking off tuesday evening.bomb.gif

Posted

For those of us in the know. Get some food in, especially as the 'supply chain' carries 3 days food, if this comes off and I mean IF, there may be people snowed in for a period of time. don't forget to help you neighbours

At the start of Winter, I always get in a few extra bits, like bread mix, longlife milk, powdered milk, dried fruit, tinned soup and so on. I'm not totally nutty, and I don't have a huge stockpile......just a box of stuff, just in case. Always with a nice long date on it and if Spring comes and we've not needed the stuff during the Winter......well, we eat/drink it all in the Spring. No waste.

I get stuff in for my old Ma too.

Also, get in some salt for your paths and driveways.