Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Here in Hale, Liverpool not 1 single snow flake. It's cold at 0.1C with a dew point of -2.9C temp has been slowly falling. (optimal conditions you'd think for some snow) Earlier this afternoon we had heavy dark grey clouds no precipitation. Cloudy conditions slowly gave way to partial clear skies with the odd whisp of cloud about.

Seems everywhere but my location has seen a flake or two. We are about roughly 4/5 miles east of Liverpool Airport. I wonder if my area will get anything tonight. Funny how you can be too far west (Liverpool) and be told you will see nothing (then you get snow) then over towards cheshire where we should have been getting something absolutely nothing.

Very strange how it seems everywhere in the region is seeing this snow even the milder west facing coasts, yet further south of the region (mersey) absolutely nothing.

I'm in Warrington and we had the lightest of dustings about an hour ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

where abouts are you ?

Wigan ..i don't know why my location has been removed...

Diane Oxbury is not a snow fan me thinks. She has a nice A*se though.

Edited :shok:

Edited by Spurry

Posted

I'm in Warrington and we had the lightest of dustings about an hour ago.

I think we are just unlucky with where those small showers are ending up, just saw the met radar there does appear to me more in the way of showers heading towards my location but mostly all seem to be to the north by about 2 or 3 miles. These showers are very definitely localized in nature. Might see something to the south of the region tonight because those showers from NE across Yorks defo seem to be picking up in intensity and the fact the precip is making its way across the penns can only be a good thing.

Posted

Have to say i'm pretty impressed with the GFS precipitation charts. Since Monday it has constantly shown snow over the area this afternoon and it was spot on. Both the Meto and BBC went for a dry day today with the "odd" wintry shower. Well we now have a covering on roads, grass and pavements here. I was certainly sceptical about getting anything at all out of the Easterly element of this cold spell, perhaps because its been more NE this has helped us ? i don't know.

Diane Oxbury (SP) said on tonight's radio Lancs forecast "we are expecting Sunday to be a difficult day" :nonono: watch this space :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Have to say i'm pretty impressed with the GFS precipitation charts. Since Monday it has constantly shown snow over the area this afternoon and it was spot on. Both the Meto and BBC went for a dry day today with the "odd" wintry shower. Well we now have a covering on roads, grass and pavements here. I was certainly sceptical about getting anything at all out of the Easterly element of this cold spell, perhaps because its been more NE this has helped us ? i don't know.

Diane Oxbury (SP) said on tonight's radio Lancs forecast "we are expecting Sunday to be a difficult day" cold.gif watch this space biggrin.gif

Pity she did not say anything on North West tonight just now LOL

C.S

Showers have petered out for the time being.We have a dusting here with a couple of cm where the wind has blown

the snow about.

Not sure whats going on out East,maybe the wind has slighty changed direction.

Still,probably get one or two showers in the night.

Temp is well below freezing so no thaw if existing snowcover expected.

Looking cold through the weekend now.

Ashton

Posted

The sky is turning white again to my east. I expect another snow shower to come toon to Manchester. It seems that Manchester southwards will be where the snow showers will concentrte tonight and obviously the further east the better!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

What a suprise ...NOTHING here just clear and cold :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

A dusting now :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Tomorrow may well be a dry day but then again .. after this mornings snow showers that were supposed to have abated by noon have carried on then anything is possible. I would stick my neck out here and say the first significant snow fall for the NW will be Saturday afteroon or evening when the winds start to vere more northerly and north westerly bringing a heavy band of precip down from the north across the whole region and accumilations are possible. Again the Liverpool area and surround towns may stuggle to get anything significant due to the imense snow shield over that area. This goes for most NW coastal towns. Though I wouldnt totally rule out lying snow in these areas.

gfs-2-54.png?12

Sunday is a whole new ball game so ill try to post my thoughts on that tomorrow but saturday evening looks to be a good one for most counties in the NW!

A cm or 2 here. Roads very icy and not a gritter in sight, already -3. Not a bad start considering what was forecast

There all on on the east side of Oldham atm ! Looks like they're not taking any chances this evening, Usually you see them do a quick run by in the evening then late on during the night but they seem to be up and down the main roads around here like a yoyo this evening :whistling:.

Posted

Another brief light flurry a few minutes ago. I think that's going to be the theme for the rest of the overnight period. The showers seem to be in much smaller clusters than the one which formed during the 4pm-5pm timeframe, and provided a more decent period of snowfall. Looking forward to what the weekend brings!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Took an hour an half to get home on the bus today, there was only just a cm in town! lol, it's really pathetic really. Enjoyed the snow however, felt very christmassy coming out of college today with everything white :whistling:

Sorry didn't realise the locations have been turned off, my location is Saddleworth, "town" is Oldham.

Edited by James M

Posted

1.8c in Douglas, IoM.

dew point -3.1c, wind chill -1.2c

just a few specks of white dust on the shed roof from a passing cloud, nothing more (yet !)

just off out with my furry friends, I wish I had a fur coat like theirs !

(thanks for so many now putting their locations in their posts)