Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Please use this thread to have a good old chat about the prospects for something wintry in north west England :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The question is will the NW England snowdome be in operation this week?

More specifically will the Wirral greenhouse effect be turned on as well :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

More specifically will the Wirral greenhouse effect be turned on as well rofl.gif

Afternoon SP

Really looking forward to this cold Spell

I think our best chance of Snowfall will be weekend when hopefully that N/NW kicks in.

Your thoughts mate

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

In all seriousness, yet I think we could see some light snow around, perhaps losing it's intensity over the pennines a little. Not sure what days I would quote as being likely, I would in fact argue that any day could see a 'surprise'.

It all depends whether warm sectors feature, I'm personally not sure but if we do get something wintry it may be borderline.

Best chance will be West Yorkshire, West Derbyshire and Manchester.

Posted

Surely, surely if that Nor/Norwester kicks in we'll be second in line after Scotland to get some? In my time in Lancashire (since 2002) I still am yet to see non marginal snow last for longer than 12 maybe 24 hours at a push so I wont hold my breath! At least i'll be home for christmas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well Saturday looks great here for us still F1 at T120 but if it was to come of NW England will

Take a pasting........Bring it ondrinks.gif

C.S

Posted

come on guy's its not allowed to snow saturday morning around macclesfield :nonono: ....I've got to drive my car to macc in the morning from north shropshire for new tyres then on to watch the mighty Derby County saturday afternoon :whistling:

seriously is it looking pretty snowy there saturday :wacko:

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

I remember snow in Liverpool in the late 70s early 8os and having to walk home because the busses had gone off iv also worked on the river Mersey for the last 23 years and can remember some fantastic snow events in fact it was in 20.00 or 2001 that Liverpool airport was closed due to snow and the planes icing up over the Christmas period .I now live near chorley and have not seen any good snow for the last five years but i have a good feeling about this week fingers crosseddrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I expect the Wigan snowdshield to become fully operational within the next two days, and it looks as if the precip charts are starting to agree :whistling::nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Looks like saturday is going to be the day for our neck of the woods. I sharnt be expecting much though until saturday evening and if the precip did turn out as shown on the gfs that would be a fair few hours of snow with it gradually getting heavier around 9pm.

ukprec.png

As that band flowed through the region the Isotherms (Height that ppn would turn to snow) would also drop with it and the dew points. Looking good.

GFS 12z in FI is showing the possibillity of another Retrogressing High northwards which would be inline with what im expecting down the line (a reload of the current pattern) and we could end the month without Atlantic dominance ! which is good news.

Posted

The maxima need to drop considerably in the coming days - it was 6C today for crying out loud! The only thing I see working in our favour at the moment is that the dreaded mild incursion towards the end of the forecast period looks to be coming from the south rather than the west - so we may escape until Christmas yet.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted

that precipitation being so far away is very difficult to predict on Saturday night, I very much doubt that will stay constant, look for frequent changes in that forecast, but if the temperatures are low enough it could snow, but here, it is unlikely we will benefit from any easterlies, especially for me, being a mile from the coast and only 10m ASL

Posted

Keeping everything crossed for us here in Cheshire, I can't decide whether to stay here or go to my parents in Manchester.. Manchester is probably the most likely of the two to see anything I guess

Edited by Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

that precipitation being so far away is very difficult to predict on Saturday night, I very much doubt that will stay constant, look for frequent changes in that forecast, but if the temperatures are low enough it could snow, but here, it is unlikely we will benefit from any easterlies, especially for me, being a mile from the coast and only 10m ASL

yep you could be struggling at only 10m, i however am nearly double that at 19m so should be fine :):) lol

Your right though, we very rarely get anything this far west from any easterly, were just too well protected by the pennines, i am fairly optimistic about our weekend prospects however, the front coming down from the north will be coming into already cold air and hopefully any mild sector will be washed out by the time it reaches us :D

Edited by arron123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

late last week and this weekend i was really confident about this upcoming colder spell, but now im not that sure lol, as each day goes by it just seems to downgrade and/or become marginal.take today for example, im sure it was expected to be snow when shown 5 or so days ago. not to worry, at least there is potential!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

You know what they say.. The best things come to those who wait. If im honest this cold spell could turn out like a good chedder, the longer it matures the tastier it becomes lol.

Posted

yep you could be struggling at only 10m, i however am nearly double that at 19m so should be fine :whistling: :wacko: lol

Your right though, we very rarely get anything this far west from any easterly, were just too well protected by the pennines, i am fairly optimistic about our weekend prospects however, the front coming down from the north will be coming into already cold air and hopefully any mild sector will be washed out by the time it reaches us :wacko:

The problem is the northerly over the weekend may not bring any rain or snow, if its all dropped don the lakes :S

Posted

I know this might be a big ask of some of the more experienced people on here but im getting lost ont he mdoel thread. From what i can gather the ecm is showing some impressive outputs that, if they were to be right, would mean alot of snow.

My question is, is the snow going to come from the expected northerly for us in this region or is it comming from else where. I realise that the eastrely thats on its way probably wouldnt deliver much. Im hoping that it will at least bring sub zero temps day/night so that if and when the northerly does arrive... happy days.

Has the northerly been upgraded on the ECM?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

More specifically will the Wirral greenhouse effect be turned on as well :rofl:

:good: Not expecting anything yet again from this....too sheltered from the Pennines...too near the Sea blah blah blah :good: Maybe another drive to the Kirkstone at 1500ASL is on the cards.

Edited by Iceaxecrampon

Posted

I know this might be a big ask of some of the more experienced people on here but im getting lost ont he mdoel thread. From what i can gather the ecm is showing some impressive outputs that, if they were to be right, would mean alot of snow.

My question is, is the snow going to come from the expected northerly for us in this region or is it comming from else where. I realise that the eastrely thats on its way probably wouldnt deliver much. Im hoping that it will at least bring sub zero temps day/night so that if and when the northerly does arrive... happy days.

Has the northerly been upgraded on the ECM?

At this moment in time, we would /should get snow late Saturday from the NW. However the way the models are chopping and changing, it really is a case of watch this space!