Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Hi Swainclubber

Nice to see you posting again.

To answer your question yes it did show Sleet a few days ago but there was no way there would be any wintry PPN

With the temps as they were

The real cold air is due in NW Wed night onwards so from Thursday anything falling will be of Snow

I am only going of each run and what the snow risk charts are showing after that run and as already stated

After this mornings 00z things look good Thurs onwards

C.S

cheers yeah its been a while, anyway time will tell, fingers crossed and all that

Posted

if you go on xcweather, click temperature then animation you can see the cold air nudging up!!! ever the optimist lol

Posted

if you go on xcweather, click temperature then animation you can see the cold air nudging up!!! ever the optimist lol

Haha I see what you mean. Good stuff.

Posted

Might as well close this thread till weekend, it's like tumble weed in here, compared to all the other regional threads! :help:

That's because we're all far too busy in the ramping thread :whistling:

Edited by wysiwyg

Not really posted so far in this thread but FWIW,

Places in the east of the region,oldham rochdale etc will probably catch some snow showers Thur/Fri but

prolonged snowfall looks unlikely at the moment.The west of the region,Liverpool wirral etc will be pretty snowless

imo but might see something Sturday as the wind veers North Westerly,that at the moment though is very

much subject to changes.

In short,not the greatest of outlooks for the NW,more chance of snow further east in the region you are.

Edited by happy days

Posted
Morning all :help: Well checking the beeb weather for our area and Manchester, and the prospect is fairly pants leading through to the weekend snow-wise.

Have you tried the netweather 'will it snow' forecast for your area, Louise?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wisi

At the moment it's giving Liverpool a fairly high risk of snow at the weekend. Of course, I'll believe it when I see it! :whistling:

Posted

Not really posted so far in this thread but FWIW,

Places in the east of the region,oldham rochdale etc will probably catch some snow showers Thur/Fri but

prolonged snowfall looks unlikely at the moment.The west of the region,Liverpool wirral etc will be pretty snowless

imo but might see something Sturday as the wind veers North Westerly,that at the moment though is very

much subject to changes.

In short,not the greatest of outlooks for the NW,more chance of snow further east in the region you are.

That's a fair assessment! If the wind was a more straight easterly, we would do a lot better I think. Still, it could be a lot worse this December with the moderate el nino.

We have a much better chance for snow over the weekend providing that the northerly/northwesterly materialises and we stay on the north side of the polar front.

Karyo

Posted

Manchester Airport long TAF

long-TAF: EGCC 151112Z 1512/1618 07005KT 9999 SCT010 BKN015 TEMPO 1512/1612 8000 -RADZ BKN010 PROB30 TEMPO 1600/1608 RASN BKN006 BECMG 1608/1611 30010KT BECMG 1615/1618 36009KT

how does that translate please, not seen one of them for a while!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I notice not many Merseyside/Wirral posters posting, I imagine they see the inevitable!

A balmy minimum of 5.9C last night, actually its lower now!

Posted

Sleet i would say.

:aggressive:

for when?does it give approx hrs?i wouldnt mind sleet lol, not seen a snow flake yet

I notice not many Merseyside/Wirral posters posting, I imagine they see the inevitable!

Yes ste i think your chances are pretty much similar to the Sw of England.I'd have to move if i lived on merseyside

or the wirall,terrible terrible places for snow.

I remember last winter we had numerous ice days and snowcover here but you had very little.

Amazing what decent altitude and 50miles away from the coast can do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Oh yes without doubt, I grow the houseplant known as the umbrella tree outside, so that's shows you how much difference there is!

Posted

Is that not an illegal substance no more? :)

It does look similar doesn't it :)

Posted

Its the same here, and i'd wager for most of us who live West of the M6.

GFS 6z seems to have thrown a bit of a spanner in the weekends snow, but if it stays cold enough and if the winds turn more NW we should still have a chance ........

Posted

The BBC weather forecast for saturday shows temp of 5 celcius and rain but netweather shows temp not above freezing all day. Ive got a horrible feeling that the BBC site will prove more accuratewallbash.gif

While the rest of the country is bitterly cold, I think we will just be bitter !

Hope Im wrong

Posted

Indeed, I also fear this will be more likely. Where the suns shining it's always likely to be warmer. The frost never appears to be particularly harsh either on the latest model outputs.

Could it be possible that collectively NW England (lowland), is the new Cornwall? :shok:

Posted

Indeed, I also fear this will be more likely. Where the suns shining it's always likely to be warmer. The frost never appears to be particularly harsh either on the latest model outputs.

Could it be possible that collectively NW England (lowland), is the new Cornwall? blink.gif

Yes but only in the winterrolleyes.gif

Could it be possible that collectively NW England (lowland), is the new Cornwall? :shok:

It is one of the worst places ste,im luckier here with around 700ft elevation and it makes a HUGE difference,the pennines are about 500yards from my back door

Id say NWEngland,esp the more west you are,is as bad as it gets for cold weather in England.

Posted

Yet another let down for the north west. 2 weather types effect us here......rain and wind with rain and nothing else. I really cannot believe it. Every where else is getting sub zero and snow and what do we get 5c and fing rain. This is sooo depressing i just wanna scream!!!!

Posted

Ive been to Cornwall in the summer, and it's mostly always raining, below 16C much of the time. The only thing Cornwall has over us is Thunderstorms.

Lets cheer up though, the fact NW England is being measured to Cornwall is a sobering thing, - best snapped out of!

The BBC dont seem to going for much snow but I still think it is possible we could see a surprise. They tend not to factor troughs in at the moment, only fronts, I imagine there's lots of time for it to change in our favour.