Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Surely, surely if that Nor/Norwester kicks in we'll be second in line after Scotland to get some? In my time in Lancashire (since 2002) I still am yet to see non marginal snow last for longer than 12 maybe 24 hours at a push so I wont hold my breath! At least i'll be home for christmas!

No chance! Not even on Jeffrey Hill :good: Get up to the Kirkstone - Dont forget you sledge....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

:good: Not expecting anything yet again from this....too sheltered from the Pennines...too near the Sea blah blah blah :good: Maybe another drive to the Kirkstone at 1500ASL is on the cards.

Good idea, a stop off for pint in the pub at the top too! failing that park up and climb up red screes should do it :rofl: was caught in a white out on st sunday crag a fortnight ago, fantastic day!!

Edited by arron123

Posted

There will no doubt be a change before the weekend, but there has been some kind of snowfall for sat/sun showing in the model output for at least the last 4 runs now - so there has to be a chance they are on to something,if its still there on Wednesday night then i might even tell the kids :(

Posted

Never quite know where to pitch my location in these regional based threads, perhaps there should be one just titled Cumbria, the Lake District in particular has its own climate different to the rest of the NW, oh well I will keep posting in this thread as we are really NW England.

Yes very good chance that most if not all of the NW will have some snow cover before the week is out, with Saturday noght into Sunday looking best bet at this stage - still quite far out but if the trough does track down from the north as being shown temperatures will definately be on the right side oif marginal.Obviously the higher up and further north you are the better. Western pennine districts should do well and here in the Lake District we could get a right royal pasting. In terms of shorter prospects I think again western Pennine districts and Lake District (low ground included) ,E Cumbria could catch some snow showers later on thursday and into Friday brought by the easterly but places further south and west less likely being too sheltered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I think that the Eastern parts of both Manchester and Lancashire and Pennine areas in general stand a good chance of some snow during the coming days. Showers blown in on an Easterly often penetrate as far as my part of the world and obviously the altitude helps to keep it as snow.

Some of the best snow falls in this area have come from the East.

We never do as well from a straight Northerly with areas towards the M6 and the coast more in the firing line.

That said though everything is very much up for grabs at present and i feel that many in the snow starved NW could be in for a long awaited Christmas present during the coming days.

Anything is better than the Icy drizzle we have had in Rossendale for most of the day.

Posted

Snow for the weekend still there on the 18z GFS, with a better chance for snow East of the M6 from Wed night onwards. Detail will keep changing, but there must be a good chance for snow somewhere in the NW this week. By Sunday the wind is also swinging round to more of a NW like Christmas day a few years ago :)

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted

Good idea, a stop off for pint in the pub at the top too! failing that park up and climb up red screes should do it :cold: was caught in a white out on st sunday crag a fortnight ago, fantastic day!!

Ha Ha! Good un! - over Cofa then the usual to Fairfield and down Grizedale was it? Mmm whiteouts dont you just love em? :cold:

Posted

I think that the Eastern parts of both Manchester and Lancashire and Pennine areas in general stand a good chance of some snow during the coming days. Showers blown in on an Easterly often penetrate as far as my part of the world and obviously the altitude helps to keep it as snow.

Some of the best snow falls in this area have come from the East.

We never do as well from a straight Northerly with areas towards the M6 and the coast more in the firing line.

That said though everything is very much up for grabs at present and i feel that many in the snow starved NW could be in for a long awaited Christmas present during the coming days.

Anything is better than the Icy drizzle we have had in Rossendale for most of the day.

I agree! Hello fellow Rossendalian!

I have to say we are pretty lucky up here though. We moved to the valley about 5 years ago and we have had snow every winter so far. I think we have our own little micro-climate as we seem to get more than anyone else in east lancashire ( alohtough being 300m asl helps!). I remember about 3 years back when we had about 6 inches here, while in Rochdale it was sunny with no snow at all!

Posted

There will no doubt be a change before the weekend, but there has been some kind of snowfall for sat/sun showing in the model output for at least the last 4 runs now - so there has to be a chance they are on to something,if its still there on Wednesday night then i might even tell the kids :cold:

Don't tell 'em - I did - It didn't happen - they dont forget :cold: Dad with egg on face. Got my own back on Side Pike in Langdale in a mini-blizzard last year - scarred them for life.... :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Blimey some of the post on here got me worried i thought the Atlantic had smashed the block and

It had all gone pear shaped......nothing further than the truth

Lets get a bit of reality in here the NW of England will always strugle to get any Snow from a easterly

Thats just a fact of life unfortunatly may get a couple of rogue showers if we are lucky but thats about it.

The cold spell is not due to start here until Wednesday and how long it lasts for is open to debate

I posted earlier that we are in for a great chance of some heavy snowfall on Sat/Sun/Mon and going

of tonights run nothing has changed my mind there is huge potential for this region to see snowfall

This weekend the likes that has not been seen this century so please cheer up and lets get a bit of

positivity in our regional thread

Rgds

C.S

Posted

Funny how any prospects of a cold/snowy spell seem to pull me back to the Net Weather forums. It's like a sixth sense. Here's hoping the Pennine & Co thread doesn't eat up all if any of the wintry stuff that might come it's way from the Easterly. If the winds are strong enough, we might get some blown over the westward side of the hills. Not daring to even think about what a Northerly/North Westerly might bring, until 12hrs out lol

Posted

If anyone doubts the above post by Cheshire just check the Snow Risk on the 18z for Friday and more noticeable overnight Sat / Sun.

Exactly Mate

Maybe people will say FI but the potential for the weekend is quite astonishing

May i also add this has been showing consistantly on the GFS for the last 24-36hrs

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Agree with Cheshire above on this one - Heaps of potential late this week. ECM, METO and GFS appear to back this so good to have a bit of agreement - even more potential if you're inland > 10 miles I'd've thought. (bit of a guess)

Additionally the Easterly may spring one or two surprises, the odd shower can occasionally make a guest appearance if it makes it over the Pennines. It's Usually 24 to 12 hours before the event that shower activity can be confidently/precisely forecasted so still a bit to play for in regards of Friday/Sat if the temps, dew points, wet bulb, Heights etc. are favourable.

IMBY, hope the North Lancashire snow deflector is broken for once, the odd flake or two would be a nice change :)

Edited by Cric_lancster

Posted

Not sure if it's just sleet or full on snow (&I'm not going outside to check :))as it's quite light, but it's definitely wintry precip here in Stoke

Dave

Posted

Still excelent potential for the weekend according to the 00z

Also worth checking the Snow risk charts for Thursday again the NW

Looking good for some light to moderate snowfall

At this stage it looks like the starter before the main course

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Do i trust bbc forecast or net weather one?

have to say, having used NW and BBC the last 3 years - NW seems to have a far more reliable snow forecast for here than the Beeb :(:(:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Still excelent potential for the weekend according to the 00z

Also worth checking the Snow risk charts for Thursday again the NW

Looking good for some light to moderate snowfall

At this stage it looks like the starter before the main course

C.S

did it not show sleet/snow for today and yesterday only a few days ago?

Posted

Morning all :) Well checking the beeb weather for our area and Manchester, and the prospect is fairly pants leading through to the weekend snow-wise. I'm hoping that changes soon, it'll be so nice to be finishing the Christmas shopping in a festive atmosphere for once, rather than in heavy winds and mild mush.

Posted

did it not show sleet/snow for today and yesterday only a few days ago?

Hi Swainclubber

Nice to see you posting again.

To answer your question yes it did show Sleet a few days ago but there was no way there would be any wintry PPN

With the temps as they were

The real cold air is due in NW Wed night onwards so from Thursday anything falling will be of Snow

I am only going of each run and what the snow risk charts are showing after that run and as already stated

After this mornings 00z things look good Thurs onwards

C.S

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
cold.gif It still looks good for anywhere in the northwest over the weekend ,so i don't see anything to be negative about just enjoy it and stay safe and inform any elderly or at risk neighbors what might be about to happen.drinks.gif

Posted

Don't tell 'em - I did - It didn't happen - they dont forget :) Dad with egg on face. Got my own back on Side Pike in Langdale in a mini-blizzard last year - scarred them for life.... :)

You're right. They have not forgotten last year when i told them it would snow, everywhere round about was white except us :) maybe best to keep my mouth shut I think. Anyway, potential still there for the weekend, and as has been said maybe some bonus snow Thursday into Friday. Living here I have learned to expect very little in the way of snowfall and when it happens it is a nice surprise. Fingers crossed.

Posted

Morning all smile.gif Well checking the beeb weather for our area and Manchester, and the prospect is fairly pants leading through to the weekend snow-wise. I'm hoping that changes soon, it'll be so nice to be finishing the Christmas shopping in a festive atmosphere for once, rather than in heavy winds and mild mush.

Morning Louise

All i would say is that the met office wont put there necks on the line and say Snow on the way they cannot aford to

Make mistakes we are i think if you watch the local weather in the next few days you could be in for a surprise.

C.S