Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 4

Methuselah

Posted

first post in a few years...but its snowing lightly in prestonpans (east lothian). wet though, bit of a bummer, the dusting of snow that lasted all day is slowly washing away. maybe later!

looks good further west, the livingston traffic cam looks good.

its actually starting to stick now, nice.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Earth calling Big Innes, come in Big Innes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Hi Blitzen ... as we've all seen the last few days, very marginal setup and lots of potential. It may not pan out as we'd all like but its worth the ride. Expecting lots of manic posting over the next few days, me included LOL !

Hi By-Tor. You know, I don't think I've watched charts, radar, temps and dewpoints so intensely from when I started on Netweather 5 years ago. I need to get a life :rofl: The fact that I only have about 2" (from Thursday!) shows just how desperate I am for a really decent fall of snow. Still being as elusive as ever eh! It is so pathetic that we continually scrape around, looking for dregs from anything cold and you turn on the TV and see what the eastern US are coping with! 2' so far and people loosing their lives. Kinda puts things into perspective I suppose. :rofl:

Posted

Air a’ Ghaidhealtachd, ceart gu leòr! :D

nach eil uile nithean matha air a’ Ghàidhealtachd? :D

What, NR (apart from "on the highlands" of course) are you blethering about??? Tha mi duilich...Chan ellie mi huirst thu???

My Gaelic is crap!! :rofl::D Tha mi Sassenach!!! :rofl:

Better than most Scottish folks!

Anyway, those clouds which brought next to no snow are proving to keep temperatures too high now even for the ice and snow we had. I hope they clear away before the nights out then I will take what we're given tomorrow.

:)

It's not even raining here let alone snowing :)

If I don't wake up to at least an inch of snow I'm sorry, but the Met-O are never going to get my backing again. That would be two weather warnings of 5cm+ gone with only one snow shower to show for it.

I suspect we will eventually get some snow, but this system has not done what the Met thought it would. Pesky weather!!!

The best of it is that when we got up this morning to falling snow I started doing a wee dance round the living room to make my boys laugh. I ended up accidently kicking the door frame and have split my toe open so have been hobbling about a bit today!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Anything to do with that lot up top do you think? I've more or less written off the initial band.

Posted

Inverness city temps at 1C and up here at Milton of Leys down to -0.5C.

Looking at the radar there appears to be more showers coming this way. Also noticed the back edge on the west coast is flashing up green(sleet).

The middle of the coming week certainly looks a lot colder and drier,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

:)

The best of it is that when we got up this morning to falling snow I started doing a wee dance round the living room to make my boys laugh. I ended up accidently kicking the door frame and have split my toe open so have been hobbling about a bit today!!

So...sue the Met Office! :)

Posted

Looks good out west, past Oban ect but dont know how much longer I can flick through charts, radar images and glances at the lamp post. Thats 4 days now!!!!!!!!!lazy.giflazy.giflazy.gif

Posted

Looks good out west, past Oban ect but dont know how much longer I can flick through charts, radar images and glances at the lamp post. Thats 4 days now!!!!!!!!!lazy.giflazy.giflazy.gif

I know. I'm exhausted.

Ps the road up from Bishopbriggs to Balgrayhill is absolute chaos. Compacted snow and ice with no gritting. One bus is stuck on a roundabout and another bus has slid back into a set of traffic lights and is embedded in them. Big traffic jams. For anyone in the area - avoid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'm going to leave it until 10pm and see what happens then, and I suggest anyone not with snow at the moment or without it looking imminent does the same. Who knows, maybe Big Innes will appear when we get back!!

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Clear Skies, temperature dropping.

Interesting how the immediate snow risk has shifted back to the North West away from the Central Belt.

Posted

Temperature in last three hours has been this.

0.2 -> 0.9 -> 0.4

Snow -> Sleet -> Clear

Within that timeframe, heavy snow, light stuff, brief drizzle and now clearing skies.

No idea what overnight will bring - my hunch is nothing!

Posted

http://www.trafficsc...ts=091220204703

http://www.trafficsc...ts=091220204817

Now that is one intensive block of snow developing and heading South East from the North West.

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Some clear skies overhead now, temp 0.1C and falling. Minimal, if any snow melt today.

Did anyone see the Countryfile forecast earlier tonight? We should expect a northerly flow midweek with a recursion of fresh arctic air. So that should mean hard frosts and maybe ice days. The chart for Xmas day showed a brisk easterly across Scotland with wintry showers in the east. Of course, a lot can change. One things for sure, there'll still be snow on the ground in many places.

Posted

http://www.trafficsc...ts=091220204703

http://www.trafficsc...ts=091220204817

Now that is one intensive block of snow developing and heading South East from the North West.

Hope so but we had one this afterneen aswell

Posted

Hope so but we had one this afterneen aswell

That has Tayside written on it!:crazy:

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

That has Tayside written on it!good.gif

North Fife as well???

Posted

At least it's been better for many than the BBC Scotland forecasts suggested during the week - 'rain at lower levels' etc. It was always going to be marginal in the west but we got something out of it here in Ayrshire. We may have more chances during the week although not much shower activity tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Typical example here of why detailed BBC Weather website forecasts for a particular area should be binned. Snow forecast for Leith but not Edinburgh. Now thats what I call detailed LOL ! Absurd is another way to put it :lol:

Edinburgh

Monday - Sunny Intervals 3c to -3c

Tuesday - Sunny Intervals 3c to -5c

Wednesday - Sunny Intervals 0c to -5c

Thursday - Sunny 0c to -4c

Friday - Sunny 1c to -5c

Leith

Monday - Light snow shower 4c to 0c

Tuesday - Light snow shower 3c to -5c

Wednesday - Sunny intervals -1c to -5c

Thursday - Sunny -4c to -4c

Friday - Sunny 3c to -5c

Edited by by-tor

Posted

North Fife as well???

Looking good LS, looking good.:lol:

Posted

Looking good LS, looking good.whistling.gif

Next MO radar update in 6.5minswhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif Still there or disolved over the hills???

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

BINGO its intenesified!!!yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

My sister is stranded at work tonight. Can't get home to tomorrow morning. That's how much havoc a 90 minute snow storm has caused here. Amazing.

Posted

Next MO radar update in 6.5minswhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif Still there or disolved over the hills???

http://www.metoffice...ather/uk/radar/

BINGO its intenesified!!!yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

It now stretches from Inverness to Callander in Perthshire.:)