Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 10

Methuselah

Posted

Happy New Year to you, and nearly all of the rest of you in the North Westdrinks.gif

:lol:

I tried to send you a Happy New Year PM, but I got a message that your box was full....you saucy minx.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Another snow shower falling now, with the temp at -2.8C and dew point of -3.8C.

Went up to the Kirkstone Pass today (1500 asl) - left it a bit late for a sledging session - about 3:30 got to the summit in about 6" of slush large drifts to the road edges - cars were turning round with medium snow falling - the Struggle was totally blocked - first time I have seen this in ages.... not much melt up here - plenty of lying snow - the road to Keswick was "interesting" last week over Dunmail Raise at -6 :lol:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

smile.gif

I tried to send you a Happy New Year PM, but I got a message that your box was full....you saucy minx.

Indulge your perversity elsewhere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Happy New Year to all :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

happy new year and a cold one at -3.1c here got my eye on the ppn on the radar up north...i csn see the cloud approaching and whether or not we get any snow will wait and see

Posted

happy new year all

Thats a fair collection of showers in the n e is there any geographical reason why they formed there or could they just as easily have been heading for us?

Posted

nice circulation in the north sea, heading towrds se scotland, hench the increase in shower activity interesting...

http://www.sat24.com/gb

polar low and a foot of snow by morning...LOL :wallbash:

Edited by james12

Posted

anyone noticed the ppn radar.... moving into north cumbria?! hoping it keeps moving this way an un forecast event may just happen and not for the first time

Posted

hoping for some snow over the next week or so, bone chilling days coming up and even colder nights with -5 to - 10 widely over cumbria if not lower and a number of ice days with max temps below freezing in parts.....was gonna go to sleep but im watching the ppn to our north and where its goes

Posted

Happy new year everyone!

Current Temp: -2.1C

Max: -1.1C (12.41am)

Low: -2.1C (5.32am)

15 Min: -0.2C

Dewpoint: -4.1C

Barometer: 1005.3 falling slowly was 1005.6

Wind Dir: North veering NE at times

Wind speed: 0.0mph

Wind Gust: 0.0mph

Humidity: 86% slight increase from 83%

Precip: 0.0mm

Conditions: It's been a mostly cloudy night with clear patches developing, but now it's mostly all clear which is starting to let temps drop in this neck of the woods. As you can see with all the cloud it's not really let temps sink enough to allow for a deep penetrating frost overnight. A week Tuesday ago, we had a very deep penetrating frost down to -7.1C which held on for 3 freezing (ice) days.

I am keeping an eye on some of the more organized snow band now just over Newcastle, which has pepped up quite a bit since it hit the ne coast. Also note the cloud sw of norway which as I have been watching the radar appears to be heading for the mainland of the UK.

Keep your eyes on that heavier band of snow over the newcastle area, it will be interesting to see what effect that produces if it makes it past the pennines.

EDIT: since writing the above the temp continues to drop along with the dewpoint as anticipated now we have clear skies.

Temp: -2.2C

DP: -4.2C

Time for the met office to start issuing advisories for the west coast..looks like a PL formation in the north sea heading for Newcastle. (Definite circulation / rotation). If that hits you can be sure we'll be experiencing some thing from it from the snow now packing into the ne..its looking better and better for our region.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Good Morning HC AND A Happy New Year

At work ATM and no access to NW radar are those Snow Showers in Newcastle haesding our way?

Very cold here Temp -4c DP -5c

C.S

Posted

Good Morning HC AND A Happy New Year

At work ATM and no access to NW radar are those Snow Showers in Newcastle haesding our way?

Very cold here Temp -4c DP -5c

C.S

Good morning cheshire snow. The first band is now heading in a more southerly direction which probably won't hit us, but there is an even bigger band of snow now over ne england. Again whether this will arive in our region I just don't know, if its anothing like this last band it will straddle the pennines and will just continue heading south until it dissipitates and by looking at it now, its (first band of snow) lost a huge amount of intensity once it hit north yorkshire -> and now it's its a former shadow of itself now its hit the pennines.

I am keeping a closer eye on the snow, just over ne.

My temp now -4.3 °C

30 min : -0.9C (quite a drop in such a short period of time.

Dewpoint -6.3 °C

Barometer 1005.6 steady

Wind Direction: North

Wind speed: 0mph

Wind Gust: 0mph

Forecast: Scattered snow showers some may be prolonged at times giving accumulations on higher elevations 5-10cm+ and 2-5cm lower ground and coasts this afternoon. Snow chance still relatively low 25/30%. Any remaining snow showers should die back this evening to give a penetrating ground frost. Snow showers could become more prolonged to the north of the region giving extra accumulation. (we'll have to see how accurate that forecast is lol)

Possibly why the met haven't got any advisories out for the NW region, chance is too low to meet any of their criteria.However the freezing conditions does warrent an icy roads warning imo

EDIT: Temp still continuing to drop now -4.5C, DP -6.5C

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Good morning and a happy new year too all in the northwest .Very clear here atm with a hard frost over night .

Looks like this mornings models want to continue the cold spell with a lot more snow ,last nights ecm seems to be forgotten about and everyone is happy.