Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I predict a futher 2-3cm of snow tonight, we already have 1cm of snow most melted but 1cm left on some roofs and on the grass:)

yep

that band is getting organised now, and intensifying as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Is the band still moving in a SE direction? or more sotherly?

Temp gone up a bit too now 1.6C, not that good :S might be rain if it gets here and temp is any higher.

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

yep

that band is getting organised now, and intensifying as well.

Just hope the brecons dont wreck it for us lol.

Is the band still moving in a SE direction? or more sotherly?

The east of the band is braking away i think and then the bit over Wales moving southwards seems to be anyway check out raintoday. Just hope its falls as snow for us all

Posted

As well as tonight - Joe from accuweather who I find a brilliant forecaster - he had this cold already worked out last winter!!!!!

LOOK OUT ENGLAND (and Wales), A BAD MOONS A RISING. POTENTIAL CRIPPLING SNOWSTORM ON THE HORIZON FOR SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL ENGLANDmag-glass_10x10.gif! Remember, the issuance of major cold was for Jan 1-10 so this is day 2. Judging by some of my email, people dont understand that Jan 1-10 is not Dec 30. Another unfortunate announcement, I cant answer all email. But there are some big ticket items showing up including the threat of the biggest snows in england in years later next week ( jan 7-12) as major cold is entrenched in much of Europe north of the Alps and west of Italy by Tuesday. Low pressure should develop west of Italy Tuesday and drift northeast, then pull north. This the center of the storm coming up into Germany and the major northeast flow that develops surface to 15,000 ft over England sets the stage for a major nationwide winter event for later next week. The cold is major enough, but the threat of snows for much of northwest Europe all the way into France the next 10 days are such that this really could be sticking out like a frozen soar thumb. The slow movement west and deep easterly flow means a 3-5 day event that could tax englands ability to combat winter weather. Its as ugly as I have seen a set up as the Scandinavian high sets up west east to the north and keeps cold air flowing westward with the cyclonic disturbance turning west under England. It will be interesting to see what other private sources ( Piers Corbyn, the The Weather Outlook) are saying here and as one who wants people as up on things as possible, I would recomend seeing their opinions. This column is not meant to go for individual weather events, but this kind of event could be the winter storm of a life time for alot of northwest Europe I would rather be perfect on any idea, but if I have to be wrong, I would rather be overdone on this because I am nervous about the complacency over the years as far as the threat of the kind of winter weather that was common years many many years ago, and may become more common in the near future. The storm will start in France first as arctic air spreads back southwest tom night and Monday and the upper feature moves east first through Spain. Its a wild set up In the meantime keep warm! Southeast europe, from the balkans southeast are overall mild in this pattern as I emphasized in the issuances this is a big 3 industrial area of the world, far east, the plains east on the US and northern and eastern Europe that is in the tank. It could be interesting for the dairy farmers out there. I mean what do you do when its so cold your cows are giving ice cream instead of milk (lol)? I hope the energy people in europe understand what they are dealing with this winter.

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Just hope the brecons dont wreck it for us lol.

The east of the band is braking away i think and then the bit over Wales moving southwards seems to be anyway check out raintoday. Just hope its falls as snow for us all

It made it past Snowdonia, but it could stall slightly and die out before it reaches South Wales, fingers crossed though, 1-2cm would be nice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

It made it past Snowdonia, but it could stall slightly and die out before it reaches South Wales, fingers crossed though, 1-2cm would be nice

I hope it makes it to the south, would be nice. Seems to be doing not to bad at the moment.

Posted

I hope it makes it to the south, would be nice. Seems to be doing not to bad at the moment.

Yeah it's doing ok, reports of it falling as rain though could lead to very icy conditions later!

Another fresh covering for the Brecon Beacons!

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted

Yeah it's doing ok, reports of it falling as rain though could lead to very icy conditions later!

Yeah, already icy here as the snow that melted during the day has frozen again by the looks of it and temp falling a bit now 1.3C, hope it doesn't fall as rain though but wont know till it gets here. Fingers crossed as have had enough of getting rain whilst everyone else gets snow! lol

hope it peps up a bit more as it get closer to us.

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

As well as tonight - Joe from accuweather who I find a brilliant forecaster - he had this cold already worked out last winter!!!!!

LOOK OUT ENGLAND (and Wales), A BAD MOONS A RISING. POTENTIAL CRIPPLING SNOWSTORM ON THE HORIZON FOR SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL ENGLANDmag-glass_10x10.gif! Remember, the issuance of major cold was for Jan 1-10 so this is day 2. Judging by some of my email, people dont understand that Jan 1-10 is not Dec 30. Another unfortunate announcement, I cant answer all email. But there are some big ticket items showing up including the threat of the biggest snows in england in years later next week ( jan 7-12) as major cold is entrenched in much of Europe north of the Alps and west of Italy by Tuesday. Low pressure should develop west of Italy Tuesday and drift northeast, then pull north. This the center of the storm coming up into Germany and the major northeast flow that develops surface to 15,000 ft over England sets the stage for a major nationwide winter event for later next week. The cold is major enough, but the threat of snows for much of northwest Europe all the way into France the next 10 days are such that this really could be sticking out like a frozen soar thumb. The slow movement west and deep easterly flow means a 3-5 day event that could tax englands ability to combat winter weather. Its as ugly as I have seen a set up as the Scandinavian high sets up west east to the north and keeps cold air flowing westward with the cyclonic disturbance turning west under England. It will be interesting to see what other private sources ( Piers Corbyn, the The Weather Outlook) are saying here and as one who wants people as up on things as possible, I would recomend seeing their opinions. This column is not meant to go for individual weather events, but this kind of event could be the winter storm of a life time for alot of northwest Europe I would rather be perfect on any idea, but if I have to be wrong, I would rather be overdone on this because I am nervous about the complacency over the years as far as the threat of the kind of winter weather that was common years many many years ago, and may become more common in the near future. The storm will start in France first as arctic air spreads back southwest tom night and Monday and the upper feature moves east first through Spain. Its a wild set up In the meantime keep warm! Southeast europe, from the balkans southeast are overall mild in this pattern as I emphasized in the issuances this is a big 3 industrial area of the world, far east, the plains east on the US and northern and eastern Europe that is in the tank. It could be interesting for the dairy farmers out there. I mean what do you do when its so cold your cows are giving ice cream instead of milk (lol)? I hope the energy people in europe understand what they are dealing with this winter.

I don't rate Joe at all Im sorry although he has been accurate in recent times, he is an overly dramatic COLD ramper which only builds up hopes plus he put wales in small writing and in brackets which I am sorry is just not on :yahoo:.

P/s I doubt it will all as rain here temp is -3.9 here its been below freezing since 3 o clock has remaind rather constant or the last hour however. but we do have a full snow cover here so that will influence the tempreatures, Also it is currently colder in Southern Wales than the north and i this band doesnt loose its intensity any further it may give us a top up and fill all the melted areas who knows. its moving very slowly anyway.

Edited by adamjones416

Posted

Just seen the BBC forecast and tuesday is looking good - The map showed widespread showers coming down from the north

Posted

I don't rate Joe at all Im sorry although he has been accurate in recent times, he is an overly dramatic COLD ramper which only builds up hopes plus he put wales in small writing and in brackets which I am sorry is just not on tongue.gif.

Overly dramatic may be - and entertaining - but he's been spot on about these past few weeks and not from "the day before" type forecast but from a long way away + I totally agree with him on his global warming ideas - mainly that governments who think they can control the temperature of the earth - CAN'T!

P/s I doubt it will all as rain here temp is -3.9 here its been below freezing since 3 o clock has remaind rather constant or the last hour however. but we do have a full snow cover here so that will influence the tempreatures, Also it is currently colder in Southern Wales than the north and i this band doesnt loose its intensity any further it may give us a top up and fill all the melted areas who knows. its moving very slowly anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Just had a look outside and surprise surprise...sleety rubbish...again!!!!

This "cold spell" has frankly up to now been utter garbage for snow, at least for me, maybe some of you other guys have been luckier.

Am getting seriously fed up of rain followed by freezing temperatures which make surfaces like deadly ice rinks!

Some snow pur-lease!!!!!!

Posted

This is a stupid question but you knwo when snow has a good freeze? does that make it harder to thaw and last longer or does it make it more vunerable?

Posted

This is a stupid question but you knwo when snow has a good freeze? does that make it harder to thaw and last longer or does it make it more vunerable?

It insulates the ground and stops the cold escaping therefore under clear skies it makes the tempertures colder however from expierence in the US and here it makes no differnce if the sun is powerfull enough it will melt the snow if its ice or not. Tempertures do strugle with snow on the ground though.

Posted

It insulates the ground and stops the cold escaping therefore under clear skies it makes the tempertures colder however from expierence in the US and here it makes no differnce if the sun is powerfull enough it will melt the snow if its ice or not. Tempertures do strugle with snow on the ground though.

Diolch :nonono:

Posted

Just looked at Meteox radar and it looks like we will get something eventually, would i be right in saying it could be here within the next hour or 2?

Definitely it makes it harder to thaw, last week, the snow we had was frozen and it took quite a bit of rain to get rid of all of it.

What should also happen over the new days is the ground will become increasingly frozen and as a result any snow lying after tonight should take some shifting, especially in shaded areas.

Posted

I bet it fizzles outlol.

lol knowing my luck it will!

Posted

Looks like its starting to fizzle out i hope not:|

Posted

Definitely it makes it harder to thaw, last week, the snow we had was frozen and it took quite a bit of rain to get rid of all of it.

What should also happen over the new days is the ground will become increasingly frozen and as a result any snow lying after tonight should take some shifting, especially in shaded areas.

Ie, welais i'r eira ym Mhenllegaer ar ól iddo rhewi a oedd e'n disgwyl yn gadarn a chaled iawn,

Yes I saw the snwo in Penllegear after it froze seemed to look strong and very hard .

Whats your take on tonight then jackone?

Posted

Lol, doesn't seem that far away either.

Fingers crossed it will manage to keep going, not looking the best at the moment though :S i think my anti-snow bubble must be starting to work and make it die out before it gets here lol

atm i think swansea have a better chance than us!

Edited by Deepsnow