Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Currently light rain here ahead of the main band.

Posted

On the radar it shows heavy PPN on the edge of the centre post-8968-12665069705917_thumb.jpg If you were under the light PPN then it probably would have fallen as rain but under the heavier bursts.

Also the precipitation dyed as it reached Otley, which would explain why it rained there and it snowed here. post-8968-12665070378617_thumb.jpg

Posted

I'm guessing the precipitation must be heavier there to allow snow.

lol or maybe hes not the most reliable source.... laugh.gif

I wonder why the met office have a warning out for monday, if anything the threat of snow looks like sunday/sunday night.. cc_confused.gif Iv lost all faith in the met office now..

Posted

how can i find how high above sea level i am?

Google earth

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Currently raining (lightly) down here in spalding, our weather station is reading a temp of 1.8, so i guess some of the other factors are against us (as usual) at the moment.

Posted

GFS might turn out to be a rain fest on Sunday/Monday, ATM we are on the wrong side of marginal by a large margin, if it did come of as shown (which it wont) it would be heavy snow followed by heavy rain then heavy snow again, both the snow and rain wouldn't be shot-lived either so we could get decent snow cover to be then washed away. Fortunately this is one run so things will change.

Posted

afternoon all, rain has now turnt to snow here in spalding, can anyone tell me approx time its suppose to go on, i have family comming up from sussex in the morning. thanks also as we had rain earlier its not sticking at the mo but will there come a point where it will settle even if the ground is wet?

Edited by sparky1972

Posted

afternoon all, rain has now turnt to snow here in spalding, can anyone tell me approx time its suppose to go on, i have family comming up from sussex in the morning. thanks

Your in the firing line for around 8hrs of snow! :)

Posted

What do you think about our chances for later mate?

It's nearly reached it's northern limit, might go further north as per GFS prediction but i wouldn't hold your breath mate.

Posted

Seems to be a huge question mark over the track of the heaviest precipitation.

The precipitation affecting central southern parts now, and further areas of South England is the area we need to keep an eye on. As the occluded front pushes NE'wards, for a time (around about now) we are in the warmer moister air, as this pushes ever so slightly NE we get a rather quick transition from warmer moist air to colder air so the precipitation should turn readily to snow, with the cold sector of the occluded front pushing across. As John Holmes said in his earlier post, the 0c isotherm is already favourable for our areas at around 100m, of course this will drop during the heavier precipitation.

Why is it not snowing now? This is because the 0c isotherm is around 300m as much as 450m in places, although upper 850's and thickness are on the right side of marginal, with such a high 0C isotherm any snow at that height would not make it down to the surface (sea level). It's the main factor as to why higher ground is always favourable. When you watch the weather forecasts or go on the metoffice and it always says wintery showers, falling as snow on the hills, you can thank Mr 0c Isotherm for that, have a look at the 0c isotherm, some may not agree but it's the most important and obvious ingredient needed to support snowfall.

So my take on thing's, is for the heaviest precipitation to hit the area around 10-11pm tonight, possibly a little later. Starting to fall as sleet/snow at low level areas across (East Yorkshire and N Lincs) from around 8pm onwards, although if you have some elevation, it will certainly help in terms of accumulations.

The NMM model is not wanting to play ball for some reason with regards the track of the precipitation. So as ever it's down to radar watching.

post-2644-12665130345617_thumb.jpg

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

now white over here on the grass and fields, roads still look ok at the mo what a difference an hour makes

Posted

And its...... snowing raining here, light rain ATM. Temperatures are now dropping so hopefully we will see some snow, was 1.8c 30 minutes ago now 1.4c.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Bah light rain here.

Posted

Seems to be a huge question mark over the track of the heaviest precipitation.

The precipitation affecting central southern parts now, and further areas of South England is the area we need to keep an eye on. As the occluded front pushes NE'wards, for a time (around about now) we are in the warmer moister air, as this pushes ever so slightly NE we get a rather quick transition from warmer moist air to colder air so the precipitation should turn readily to snow, with the cold sector of the occluded front pushing across. As John Holmes said in his earlier post, the 0c isotherm is already favourable for our areas at around 100m, of course this will drop during the heavier precipitation.

Why is it not snowing now? This is because the 0c isotherm is around 300m as much as 450m in places, although upper 850's and thickness are on the right side of marginal, with such a high 0C isotherm any snow at that height would not make it down to the surface (sea level). It's the main factor as to why higher ground is always favourable. When you watch the weather forecasts or go on the metoffice and it always says wintery showers, falling as snow on the hills, you can thank Mr 0c Isotherm for that, have a look at the 0c isotherm, some may not agree but it's the most important and obvious ingredient needed to support snowfall.

So my take on thing's, is for the heaviest precipitation to hit the area around 10-11pm tonight, possibly a little later. Starting to fall as sleet/snow at low level areas across (East Yorkshire and N Lincs) from around 8pm onwards, although if you have some elevation, it will certainly help in terms of accumulations.

The NMM model is not wanting to play ball for some reason with regards the track of the precipitation. So as ever it's down to radar watching.

post-2644-12665130345617_thumb.jpg

Cheers Lewis, as ever an excellent explanation of possible events to come. I really hope everyone gets a bit of snow. Encouraging signs that Spalding is now seeing snow.

Posted

Latest BBC graphics push the precipitation way further north that first suggested http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Posted

Cheers Lewis, as ever an excellent explanation of possible events to come. I really hope everyone gets a bit of snow. Encouraging signs that Spalding is now seeing snow.

Not a problem GSL, btw congrats on your win over Leeds, don't let the terry newton situation spoil it.

And yes encouraging signs GSL with snow falling in Spalding, it's where the colder air is.

Posted

Not a problem GSL, btw congrats on your win over Leeds, don't let the terry newton situation spoil it.

And yes encouraging signs GSL with snow falling in Spalding, it's where the colder air is.

Thanks mate, never a dull season for Waki!! Going by what you said should the rain turn to snow later on then when the colder air arrives. At the moment the conditions here currently suggest rain with a temp of 3 and dew of 1.3.