Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

decent laying snow this morning.melted in the sun as expected.road covered in slush now its gunna be dangerous if it freezes over tonight

Posted

As i expected, the low much further North. All the colder air is shunted away, leaving us with an atlantic dominated run, with temps average or above average.

What about the UKMO??

I would believe the ukmo/ecm/gem over the gfs with the way its peforming recently. Plus as we get nearer to the time the lows seem to be getting shifted much further south.

UKMO

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm961.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1201.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif

Loveeeeeerly biggrin.gif

Posted

Regardless of what the GFS has thrown together the risk is still there widespread snow fall, amounts are yet to be decided but at least 5cm for most areas with the coast possibly getting in on the fun. Certainly inland areas are at risk of 10cm+, elvation will help but falls of 10cm to low ground are likely. So far the GFS has lost any credibility this week, yesterday the GFS had the precipitation reaching Newcastle for Monday, todays runs not even reaching Birmingham so don't take what the GFS shows as gospel, there is an extremely small chance of the low been as far north as the GFS shows but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by 10123

Posted

What about the UKMO??

I would believe the ukmo/ecm/gem over the gfs with the way its peforming recently. Plus as we get nearer to the time the lows seem to be getting shifted much further south.

UKMO

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm961.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1201.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif

Loveeeeeerly biggrin.gif

You have confused me now! lol

read up ^ i said the UKMO has it further South, but the GFS does not.. It's a waiting game let's see how it pans out although im backing the GFS.

Posted

although im backing the GFS.

Salt, pepper and vinegar at the ready Lewis... :crazy:

Seriously though, I think the potential is still there and UKMO seems to have a better grip on how things will unfold. Still...... Wait and see.. :)

Posted

Salt, pepper and vinegar at the ready Lewis... :crazy:

Seriously though, I think the potential is still there and UKMO seems to have a better grip on how things will unfold. Still...... Wait and see.. :)

lol, true.

the reason why i'm backing the GFS is because it's been spot on upto now, yes it has struggled with the evolution of the low pressure's, but with something so deep shown on all models, i think it'll just blast through, with no blocking.

Posted

Saw some posts of 15 cm snow in Scarborough earlier... Didn't believe it as I had barely 3 inches myself, however I did go out to try and find these reported totals. The deepest snow I could find in Scarborough was up on Olivers Mount, particularly the west side with 5-6" on the roads, with much deeper ruts making driving atrocious. So the 15cm report wasn't too outrageous. Also, I think I needed a bigger ruler :clap:

post-1731-12667714716817_thumb.jpg

post-1731-12667714949217_thumb.jpg

post-1731-12667715442417_thumb.jpg

post-1731-12667715797217_thumb.jpg

post-1731-12667716239617_thumb.jpg

The shot I went up for was not possible due to the fog which has lingered all day since the snow came through :wacko:

post-1731-12667715153717_thumb.jpg

After this, I headed north onto the moors. Stopped at a spot overlooking Robin Hoods Bay. Lots more snow here. I imagine a fair bit still laying from the previous days snow helped the totals.

post-1731-12667716514217_thumb.jpg

Yup.. definitely need a bigger ruler.

post-1731-12667720653617_thumb.jpg

Decided to improvise and develop a new system for measuring snow. Forget centimeters and inches, the snow here is approximately 1 lens and 850 millicamcorders deep! :lol:

post-1731-12667717664317_thumb.jpg

Nice one! You got some great shots. We were on the way to Whitby and had to turn back at 11.00 so the roads must have cleared up nicely. I measured 6.5cm's on the drive here in Osgodby.

post-10637-12667782012317_thumb.jpg

post-10637-12667782489817_thumb.jpg

post-10637-12667782710417_thumb.jpg

post-10637-12667782944917_thumb.jpg

post-10637-12667783082917_thumb.jpg

Posted

Just looked outside and its snowing, a bit heavier than light with small-medium sized flakes.drinks.gif

Edit: Light-moderate now

Edit: Stopped now, left a dusting

Edited by 10123

Posted

Saw some posts of 15 cm snow in Scarborough earlier... Didn't believe it as I had barely 3 inches myself, however I did go out to try and find these reported totals. The deepest snow I could find in Scarborough was up on Olivers Mount, particularly the west side with 5-6" on the roads, with much deeper ruts making driving atrocious. So the 15cm report wasn't too outrageous. Also, I think I needed a bigger ruler smile.gif

post-1731-12667714716817_thumb.jpg

post-1731-12667714949217_thumb.jpg

post-1731-12667715442417_thumb.jpg

post-1731-12667715797217_thumb.jpg

post-1731-12667716239617_thumb.jpg

The shot I went up for was not possible due to the fog which has lingered all day since the snow came through sad.gif

post-1731-12667715153717_thumb.jpg

After this, I headed north onto the moors. Stopped at a spot overlooking Robin Hoods Bay. Lots more snow here. I imagine a fair bit still laying from the previous days snow helped the totals.

post-1731-12667716514217_thumb.jpg

Yup.. definitely need a bigger ruler.

post-1731-12667720653617_thumb.jpg

Decided to improvise and develop a new system for measuring snow. Forget centimeters and inches, the snow here is approximately 1 lens and 850 millicamcorders deep! smile.gif

post-1731-12667717664317_thumb.jpg

Thats corking mate must admit i mwas quite sceptical about this as we had only had about 5/6cm. I love the new system yuo have createdyahoo.gif HILLARIOUS and yet still so effective. God they got a roasting didnt they. Did you go for a walk along old train track at Hawkshead starts from RHB car park more or less its beautiful out there. Take kids from school a lot.hi.gif i take my hat of to your improvisation and cunning skillsph34r.gif. Infact i feel sick at the thought infact green with envybad.gif . I just wantyed to use all the faces but no i really mean it too. well done and thanks

Just looked outside and its snowing, a bit heavier than light with small-medium sized flakes.drinks.gif

Edit: Light-moderate now

Edit: Stopped now, left a dusting

OOh u lucky sausage must admit we have had a fair few not done anything but nice to look at all the same. Maybe they coming my way but doubt it will have a butchers in a mo!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yup snowing here as well very light. Only the faintest of echoes on the radar.

Posted

Its 0.6 degs here and dropping dont think anything else will be about but i do think the heat of the sun helped with the convection of the showers offf the north sea. We had a fair few today even tho they didnt do much apart from block out the snun from melting the existing cover. Scarb did really well out of that front. S.Yorkshire seemed to get a little too warm for my liking today at 3.9 degs but anyway wil;l wait ands see what wed/thurs/fri brings looks like it could be a case of snow turning to rain then back to snow again. none of the precipitaion looks particulalry heavy or excessive so would have though 10cm tops maybe 12-15cm on very highest ground around these partsx would be the best

Posted

So is Thursday the next possible chance for snow for us? Is there no way tonights low could get this far north?

Posted

So is Thursday the next possible chance for snow for us? Is there no way tonights low could get this far north?

well anything is poss at the moment most models going for it to stay quite far south and it isnt until Wed when one really puhses in hard and progressive poss turning to rain on its southern edge in South/West Yorks before turning back to snow as it pulls in NE flow and colder denser air undercuts. Same looks poss for friday/Sat although colder air will be sat bwith us by then so poss less marginal but this could all change at the slightest shift of thew Lows. FI is now 24/36 hours and nowcasting is the new forecasting tool.unsure.gif

Posted

well anything is poss at the moment most models going for it to stay quite far south and it isnt until Wed when one really puhses in hard and progressive poss turning to rain on its southern edge in South/West Yorks before turning back to snow as it pulls in NE flow and colder denser air undercuts. Same looks poss for friday/Sat although colder air will be sat bwith us by then so poss less marginal but this could all change at the slightest shift of thew Lows. FI is now 24/36 hours and nowcasting is the new forecasting tool.unsure.gif

Cheers for that, i'll be keeping my fingers crossed for Wed onwards? Very icy out there now, roads could be messy in morning!

Edited by hapifax kev

Posted

still got some snow left here about 10% looks like the coasts did good today :D

temp here at 20:49pm 1.6c, dew point at 0.4c

Posted

still got some snow left here about 10% looks like the coasts did good today drinks.gif

temp here at 20:49pm 1.6c, dew point at 0.4c

minus 0.8 and falling rapidly with no cld cover could be looking at a hard frost.biggrin.gif

Posted

Cloudy here, temp -0.7c, a cold night would be welcome.

Posted

Well I'm recording todays max temp at the moment after it plummeted after sunset. Currently +1.8C. Had dropped to -0.8C but the encroaching cloud and strengthening wind seems to have notched it up.

I thought we had done well with not much thaw but if it carries on this way they'll not be much by the morning!

Still a great day had! :unsure:

Posted

Well I'm recording todays max temp at the moment after it plummeted after sunset. Currently +1.8C. Had dropped to -0.8C but the encroaching cloud and strengthening wind seems to have notched it up.

I thought we had done well with not much thaw but if it carries on this way they'll not be much by the morning!

Still a great day had! smile.gif

Well we got 3.9 degs lots of sun and some snow showers and still managed to hold on to about 2 inches about 4/5 cm where sun hasnt worked at it poss 8/9cm when it first fell this morning.......

Its now -1.7degs and falling rapidly would expect at least a moderate frost somwhere around -3 or below. It will be ficy especially under where the snow has melted pardon.gif

Edited by NCC1701