Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Thunder At Its Best!

Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Volume up people (a MUST - especially with headphones)- this is THE best recording of thunder I think I have ever heard. Dont bother watching it, the vid is pants.

If you have never experienced a true summer time import from France, then this is the closest you will get. The frequency, the sound of the thunder, the sound of the heavy rain - just takes me back to those nights, being woken up at 2am on the ludicrously hot and humid nights, windows wide open, with me having a panic attack having being levitated out of my sleep by an explosion like this.

I'm just praying we get some direct hit imports this year like we used to a few years ago. That said, some of the biggest imported storms I can remember happened around El Nino events - so fingers crossed this year will be fruitful for imports :D

Posted

Volume up people (a MUST - especially with headphones)- this is THE best recording of thunder I think I have ever heard. Dont bother watching it, the vid is pants.

If you have never experienced a true summer time import from France, then this is the closest you will get. The frequency, the sound of the thunder, the sound of the heavy rain - just takes me back to those nights, being woken up at 2am on the ludicrously hot and humid nights, windows wide open, with me having a panic attack having being levitated out of my sleep by an explosion like this.

I'm just praying we get some direct hit imports this year like we used to a few years ago. That said, some of the biggest imported storms I can remember happened around El Nino events - so fingers crossed this year will be fruitful for imports :D

wait to you see the Supercell's Harry you will NEVER be the same again with imports :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Awesome video, maybe not brilliant visually but the sound quality was fantastic and the progressive cracking of thunder just leads me to want a thunderstorm now lol. I hope you don't mind but here's another brilliant one I found on youtube also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrcU8geDw4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've seen some of those storms "at source" during my holidays in France- and yes, a few of them have been every bit as intense as the one on that video- there was one in the Argentat area in July 2007 which had lightning every 2-3 seconds at one point.

Not quite the intensity of Tornado Alley, but much of the near-continent does get much bigger storms than we tend to - when I see a forecast for "sunshine and showers" in France I always think "there's a decent chance of a storm today".

Posted

Yep Harry as Pat says you had better have a good pair of Sunglasses as these are regular Storms we see at night whilst on the Chase - This video was shot in West Texas :D:D

Posted

Yep Harry as Pat says you had better have a good pair of Sunglasses as these are regular Storms we see at night whilst on the Chase - This video was shot in West Texas :whistling:8)

thats like Plainview Paul :drinks:

what a night!!to remember

Posted

Yep Harry as Pat says you had better have a good pair of Sunglasses as these are regular Storms we see at night whilst on the Chase - This video was shot in West Texas :whistling:8)

Yep! The sunglasses are the ready! 8)

It's incredible how long those lightning bolts last - it's bad enough being hit by your bog standard bolt, but imagine 3+ seconds of million Amp current going through you....

Bring it on....its coming round so quickly and I cannot wait!!! :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Not bad, man. You could really hear the rumbles quite well and the sounds almost make you feel as though you are at the place with the stormy clouds above you. I sometimes tend to find the thunder isn't always as noticeable to hear on some of the videos, but I suppose if it's raining or hailing really hard, then the thunder would probably be muted out a bit.

In a way, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the first thunderstorm of Spring. The only thing that is putting me off is that I sometimes get frightened watching the lightning, which is a shame really because from the distance, they do look spectacular.

Posted

Not bad, man. You could really hear the rumbles quite well and the sounds almost make you feel as though you are at the place with the stormy clouds above you. I sometimes tend to find the thunder isn't always as noticeable to hear on some of the videos, but I suppose if it's raining or hailing really hard, then the thunder would probably be muted out a bit.

In a way, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the first thunderstorm of Spring. The only thing that is putting me off is that I sometimes get frightened watching the lightning, which is a shame really because from the distance, they do look spectacular.

Oh me too Rainbow Snow!!

The whole reason I'm a nut about thunderstorms is because of the terror they caused me when I was younger - I was petrified. Since then its completely flipped into intrigue and verging on obsession. However much I love storms and cannot wait to get to the US next month, and also for our first batch of home grown and imports, I always get apprehensive when storms, particularly night time ones, are overhead. I don't tend to stay outside too long as the closer it gets the more nervous I get. Even now, when a heavy storm moves in during the night period, I get very apprehensive, probably because I don't like sudden loud noises, and thunder always seems louder at night for some reason.

Still though - bring it on!! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Oh me too Rainbow Snow!!

However much I love storms and cannot wait to get to the US next month, and also for our first batch of home grown and imports, I always get apprehensive when storms, particularly night time ones, are overhead. I don't tend to stay outside too long as the closer it gets the more nervous I get. Even now, when a heavy storm moves in during the night period, I get very apprehensive, probably because I don't like sudden loud noises, and thunder always seems louder at night for some reason.

Still though - bring it on!! :whistling:

You are in for a shock when you'll experience Mid-west severe storms if you get nervous over UK storms! Take some extra underwear! You'll find UK storms rather tame and mundane when you come back.

Posted

You are in for a shock when you'll experience Mid-west severe storms if you get nervous over UK storms! Take some extra underwear! You'll find UK storms rather tame and mundane when you come back.

Thanks for the heads-up Nick F :)

I'm sure I'll be fine - it's the sudden explosions which tend to put the frighteners on me than anything else....well, he says now!! :whistling:

Edited by Harry

Posted

There has only been 1 Time when I have absolutely S**t myself and I can pretty much guarantee Nick and Ian will back me up on this one.

After the High Risk of May 22nd 2008 we stayed in Hays (Kansas) and at about 4am the Tornado Sirens went on due to a Line of Severe Storms and Supercells, we were staying in a 1 storie Motel with a Flat roof due to the whole town being packed out with Storm Chasers and the fact the Next day May 23rd was also a High Risk in the same area!!

Heard explosion like noises and then the obligatory room lightning up, bombs getting closer and closer from the South West, got up and lit up a ciggie as Ian was dead to the world, when I opened the door a Cg landed and hit the Telegraph Pole about 600 yds in front of me showering sparks everywhere, the next one landed in the car park about 300 yds away from my door, I looked down the pathway and Chris (ITV Camerman) was filming with his door half ajar, those Cg bolts were abosultely deadly (Positive Bolts I think) this went on for about an hour and Chris admitted to me that it was louder and more scary than being shelled by the Taliban (He made a Documentary on the Para's) and was trenched in Afghanistan etc.

I seriosuly thought the we were going to take a direct hit and have the roof hit by a Cg!

Anyhow later that day we scored 5 Tornadoes so the day got better :whistling::)

Posted

:lol:

excellent Nick...very true words :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I've seen worse storms than this in France and Belgium in 2008 and 2009 respectively, though that thunder sounded really nice. In August 2008 there was almost 24 hours of intense thunderstorms near Paris whilst I was in Disneyland, I think it was between late on the 6th and late on the 7th with a lull during the morning of the 7th though you could still hear thunder in the distance despite hot sunshine at the time. Steam was rising everywhere, before more severe storms struck in the afternoon causing half the rides to shut down.

On the 20th August 2009 in Belgium the temperature was over 100°F across much of the country, and that evening there was 1-2 hours of extremely severe storms with 2-4cm hail and flash floods! The next day was almost 20°C cooler, which felt pretty bleak after the heatwave which had lasted 2-3 weeks, with temperatures just under 30°C, culminating in those record breaking temperatures at the end - luckily I was going home on that day, not the evening before!

It really is surprising how just south of the UK the thunderstorms tend to be so much more frequent and more severe, many times in the last few years I've noticed big storms heading into the Low Countries from France on the radar with the UK being left with a relatively moderate Kent clipper.

Edited by alza

Posted

Thanks for the heads-up Nick F :lol:

I'm sure I'll be fine - it's the sudden explosions which tend to put the frighteners on me than anything else....well, he says now!! :winky:

I'll have to find the video clip of when we were sat on a side road in the suburbs of Little Rock, Arkansas in May 2008 - when a cg landed on the wires suspended above our parked car. Thunder was like very loud gunshot! Made the normally sedate Ian shout expletives, I guy who wouldn't let 120 mph RFD winds blowing out the back window in his vehicle interrupt his eating of his salad lunch (picking out shards of glass as he tucked in).

There has only been 1 Time when I have absolutely S**t myself and I can pretty much guarantee Nick and Ian will back me up on this one.

Aye, fotunately I had a ground floor room in a separate two storey block, though I remember lying in my bed at about 6am thinking the flashes and bangs were uncomfortably close, could feel the heat in the flashes. Was the same morning that the ITV cameraman who later filmed us, who was in another hotel in Hays, was evacuated into the basement because tornado sirens were going off during the early morning storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hello,

Hoping this one hasn't come up on this thread recently and whilst some people will not appreciate the comment at the very end of this video, I still think it is a classic and probably contains precisely what would have been my reaction.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="385"></embed></object>

Hoping the link works.

Try this also.

and there is a longer version but it's not to everyone's taste, http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zwfLxCj-NB0

Cheers

STORMBOY

Edited by STORMBOY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Wow!! what a lovely sound.biggrin.gif Can't wait to witness a storm this summer if I'm lucky lolsmile.gif

Posted

OMFG

I have honestly never seen this Video before - That sounded like Joel!

Was he on top of the Roof in that house in Norman ??

Lunatics

Paul S

Posted

Was he on top of the Roof in that house in Norman ??

Dont know. Got the impression it was taken from one of the stream cams. but dont know, just found it a few minutes ago. Amazing. That would even have woken Ian up :D

Posted

http://netweather.tv/chase2006/paul/MOVIE0003.asf

Yay!

Found my Video of "Gunshot" Thunder buried deep in the Archives of 2005 Storm Chase Logs!

Turn the Volume up very very loud!

May 2nd 2005...............Childress again :):rofl:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning on the below of Bad Language - Esp Nick and Ian :80: :lol:

And the Gunshot Thunder from the May 10th 2008 Arkansas Tornadic Storm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=udiMcOr-ZIg

Posted

http://netweather.tv/chase2006/paul/MOVIE0003.asf

Yay!

Found my Video of "Gunshot" Thunder buried deep in the Archives of 2005 Storm Chase Logs!

Turn the Volume up very very loud!

May 2nd 2005...............Childress again :):rofl:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still makes me laugh... :lol:

Posted

And this one of mine from last year!

The chat on the video is pretty funny also.

Posted

Brilliant, Harry. Last strike sounds like a detonation of TNT. I can remember one occasion in September 1993 when at around 02:00am there was a backbuilding storm that came out of literally nowhere. The thunder, and as one member asked, and I'm happy to answer that. It sounds louder at night is because of less human activity.

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK