Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Volcanic Activity Thread!

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Quaternary basaltic and trachybasaltic tuff if that makes a difference (i had no idea what tuff was).

The activity has been occuring from quite far out where the basaltic deposits are, so i am wondering if this is the magma being enfused at the moment.

Does the quaternary or trachybasaltic element make a difference.

The trachybasalt might something a little more explosive, as trachyte more of an intermediate rock type with higher silica content. Still, I wouldn't expect any major explosions, ash and a few lava bombs at most!

Posted

Do we know how close they are.

Seismic activity remains high, with few earthquakes located and continue a strong signal harmonic tremor, although today has dropped dramatically from 14:30 h from entondes remains constant with variations on the rise. The magnitude of the earthquakes between 2.6 and 1.5. New earthquakes 5. Depths to 13, 14, 15, 15 and 16km. The day before yesterday 31. Yesterday 8. Today are 10. A total of 10,022 earthquakes are located in El Hierro by IGN

Posted

Update 12/10 – 20:30 UTC : The new eruption spots have been detected by a fisherman and people waiting in a cue to get their belongings from La Restinga. They had nothing else to do than discussing and looking out over the see. High tech like in the middle ages Posted Image

Closest to the eruption locations is the old port of Puerto Naos. The port is no longer in use and no people are living there. Those people following the El Hierro reports from the veru beginning must surely remember that most of the initial tremors where located in this area

Posted

Pictures Of The Green Patch Of Dead Fish In Canary Islands

post-2721-0-31728400-1318456768_thumb.jp

post-2721-0-91576300-1318456773_thumb.jp

Scientific paper reveals massive historic Tenerife volcano flank collapse

http://earthquake-re...flank-collapse/

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Video here, not the greatest quality mind. http://yfrog.com/nct8iz

Just found a better video here http://www.rtve.es/ Its only on the main page so it might change or disappear at some point.

And some of the extracted material http://twitter.com/#...5024256/photo/1

Edited by Martin M

Posted

Re the possibility of flank collapse: From what i've read in places, the previous landslide that occured on El Hierro, whilst huge in terms of the total volume of material that fell into the sea, it didn't occur all at once, rather with a number of landslides over a period of hours or day. Local tsunamis are still possible under that scenario though.

This is the paper i was reading, hopefully i've interpreted it correctly: http://geomar.geo.ub.es/eurodom/documents/Massonetal01_ESR.pdf

Edited by Paranoid

Posted

According to the National Geograpic Institute there were two more undersea fissure eruptions yesterday, shown by two more patches of dead fish. Both were closer to the coast than the earlier event (2 km and c. 1.5 km s/w of of Restinga) but were smaller. (taken from El Mundo)

Posted

Low magnitude tremors at El Hierro this evening 12.10.11

I have to say that during my stay under 100 miles away from El Hierro last week, the activity wasn't enough to make any ripples on the surface of the swimming pools or chink the ice in my cocktail......

Talking to Islanders they don't seem to concerned about it.

Posted

I have to say that during my stay under 100 miles away from El Hierro last week, the activity wasn't enough to make any ripples on the surface of the swimming pools or chink the ice in my cocktail......

Talking to Islanders they don't seem to concerned about it.

Where did you stay?

Some friends of mine were in Gran Canaria last week and they were also totally oblivious to it all.

Karyo

Posted

Experts believe that the volcano is visible on the sea

Scientists are monitoring the eruptive process on the island of El Hierro believe that the upwelling of magma reach "shallower levels", ie it can to converge gradually to the ground, and reaching an air phase, which is interpreted as the volcano is visible on the surface.

This follows from the data presented tonight at a press conference at the headquarters of El Hierro Cabildo by Carmen Lopez, a researcher at the National Geographic Institute.

Posted

El-Hierro-Eruption-Sea-Surface-Image

post-2721-0-36204000-1318511881_thumb.jp

That's the most impressive photo so far!

I wonder if we'll have the emergence of a new island in the end

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Posted

The harmonic trace of El Hierro seems to be holding steady at the moment so presumably pressure is building again only gradually.

Amazing picture Yamkin! Where's it from?

(I wonder whether the Mail's journalist copied that article about Katla nearly word for word from the earlier one in the Independent or they both just made a few tweaks to someone else's copy?)

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

The harmonic trace of El Hierro seems to be holding steady at the moment so presumably pressure is building again only gradually.

Amazing picture Yamkin! Where's it from?

(I wonder whether the Mail's journalist copied that article about Katla nearly word for word from the earlier one in the Independent or they both just made a few tweaks to someone else's copy?)

A friend sent the photo to me. It's circulating around now.

There are quake swarms ongoing in and around Katla.

Press like to go on about the Ash Clouds hampering planes, but the floods generated from a major eruption will flood many parts of Europe including the UK.

Posted

A friend sent the photo to me. It's circulating around now.

There are quake swarms ongoing in and around Katla.

Press like to go on about the Ash Clouds hampering planes, but the floods generated from a major eruption will flood many parts of Europe including the UK.

hi Yamkin,

I can see the potential for floods in Iceland when Katla blows up and part of the glacier melt,

but why should we expect floods in Europe and the UK?

Karyo

Posted

hi Yamkin,

I can see the potential for floods in Iceland when Katla blows up and part of the glacier melt,

but why should we expect floods in Europe and the UK?

Karyo

Hi Karyo,

An eruption underneath a glacier will of course melt a lot of ice. This will build up a huge bubble of water somewhere underneath the glacier. Once this bubble is large enough it will break its way through the glacier and cause a massive flood. Floods caused by eruptions in Katla are estimated to have reached up to 300.000 cubic meters per second. To give you some kind of idea of how much water that is, it is nearly three times the Amazon river or greater than the three greatest rivers in the world combined.

In my opinion, this would generate a surge along the North Sea which would affect the North, East and South East facing areas of the UK.

Edited by yamkin

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Okay lets cut the nonsense there will no floods in Europe from Katla. The only way that will happen if part of Iceland blew up off the map which is extremely unlikely. I'm waiting for the posts about the floods shutting the gulf stream down. We may see some ash again of course if the wind is in the right direction. Ryan air will of course miss it all.

Going back the Canary islands things could get interesting if the eruption could build a cone that gets close or breaks the surface.

Posted

Hi Karyo,

An eruption underneath a glacier will of course melt a lot of ice. This will build up a huge bubble of water somewhere underneath the glacier. Once this bubble is large enough it will break its way through the glacier and cause a massive flood. Floods caused by eruptions in Katla are estimated to have reached up to 300.000 cubic meters per second. To give you some kind of idea of how much water that is, it is nearly three times the Amazon river or greater than the three greatest rivers in the world combined.

In my opinion, this would generate a surge along the North Sea which would affect the North, East and South East facing areas of the UK.

Thank you for the explanation.

Karyo

Posted

just got the laterst from a spainsh face book page

urrent Volcanic Islands (AVCAN)

NOTE AVCAN 258 - EARTHQUAKE ACTIVITY-VOLCANIC - IRON ISLAND - 13 OCTOBER 2011-22:30 h peninsular - Seismic activity continues to moderate, with few earthquakes located on a smaller scale and continue with an important signal of harmonic tremor since yesterday down considerably at 14:30 h from entondes remains constant with variations on the rise, fall at 14:00 and has since maintained. The magnitude of the earthquakes of 1.7. New earthquakes 5. Depths to 16, 17, 20, 20 and 21km. Before yesterday 8. Yesterday 11. Now go 13. A total of 10,036 earthquakes are located in El Hierro by IGN from 9:00 am of July 19, 2011 (Enrique).

Posted

just got the laterst from a spainsh face book page

urrent Volcanic Islands (AVCAN)

NOTE AVCAN 258 - EARTHQUAKE ACTIVITY-VOLCANIC - IRON ISLAND - 13 OCTOBER 2011-22:30 h peninsular - Seismic activity continues to moderate, with few earthquakes located on a smaller scale and continue with an important signal of harmonic tremor since yesterday down considerably at 14:30 h from entondes remains constant with variations on the rise, fall at 14:00 and has since maintained. The magnitude of the earthquakes of 1.7. New earthquakes 5. Depths to 16, 17, 20, 20 and 21km. Before yesterday 8. Yesterday 11. Now go 13. A total of 10,036 earthquakes are located in El Hierro by IGN from 9:00 am of July 19, 2011 (Enrique).

Quakes so far now stands at 16 (EL PINAR.IHI Magnitude 1.8 Depth 16 km)

Edited by yamkin

Posted

World Weekly Volcanic Activity Report – Hierro, Merapi, Krakatau, Etna

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/news/earth-science/geology/world-weekly-volcanic-activity-report-hierro-merapi-krakatau-etna/41582.html

very informative weekly update

• Like 1

Posted

Where did you stay?

La Palma, next Island up:

post-6667-0-35638800-1318581559_thumb.pn