Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 10

Paul Sherman

Posted

loved watching the stream last night and seeing the storm develop. heres hoping the 2nd tour are as privileged as the first.

have a safe trip home you guys leaving the tour :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

These are just incredible, what an absolute peach of a storm I really really wish I was there

Posted

I agree totally with MAF good.gif, as I too followed the live stream last night, as well as on previous days before joining up and every moment has been awesome, especially enjoying the banter and laughs that you guys were having, on top of being able to interract with you guys via the forum threads :)

May I have the permission from those who had taken the pics posted in this thread, to make a Slide-show video for the chase team members and forum members to enjoy, as something to help keep the memories alive and to reflect on an awesome tour :)

Btw, that challenge offer that I made for the Sherminator still stands and will do right until the end of tour 4 and so, there is plenty of time to take on the 72oz monster steak cool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

I agree totally with MAF good.gif, as I too followed the live stream last night, as well as on previous days before joining up and every moment has been awesome, especially enjoying the banter and laughs that you guys were having, on top of being able to interract with you guys via the forum threads :)

May I have the permission from those who had taken the pics posted in this thread, to make a Slide-show video for the chase team members and forum members to enjoy, as something to help keep the memories alive and to reflect on an awesome tour :)

Btw, that challenge offer that I made for the Sherminator still stands and will do right until the end of tour 4 and so, there is plenty of time to take on the 72oz monster steak cool.gif

I am sure that they will and I guess will get back you once they go on line in their rooms. We have just landed at the Guest Inn in Norman. I will then put on a short video from last nights chase. Nothing startling but there you go.

Tom

Posted

Just wanted to add some more Info on this Cyclic Warm Front Supercell for yesterday evening.

I positioned the Team to the NE Of the Surface Cyclone and within the Right Exit of the Jet Streak. At about 5pm SPC Issued an MD For our Area and Agitited CU Became more robust. They then swiftly removed the MD And the Towers looked very shallow. A new MD Was Issued at 7pm for areas to our East.

Then the Visual Clues above our Heads and NOT On radar came into play, to weaken the Cap along the Warm Front we needed something else to kick start a Lone Supercell and it was happening right above our heads. The Surface Low by now was over the NE/CO/KS Border and was initiating much more Convection 220 Miles to our North West.

At about 730pm a Mid Level Jet Streak was spotted right above our heads alligned SW/NE - This just literally appeared as a Streak of Cirrus, about 10 Minutes later a Tower to our North went up and immediately interacted with the Mid Level Jet Streak and a Pileus Cap appeared.

So I then positioned the Team about 40 Miles to the East knowing that if something behind us went up it would quickly become Severe and hopefully become a Right Mover (Eg Ride the Warm Front) that was alligned to our South West to East.

At 745pm Initiation was explosive, 3 Radar Scans and this Storm went Severe with tops to 43,000ft and 3.5 Inch Hail. Moving at a Snails Pace we had great roads, first I-235 Which took us right underneath the base, and then Highway 4 which went straight East for 50 Miles.

The Chase was on and it was only a matter of Time before this Supercell became Tornadic. We must have witnessed the Wall clouds for about 40 of those 50 Miles. But I only ever saw 1 Tornado at 842-852pm just West of Hope (Ks) As we followed East numerous Farming Villages had no power and Hail Fog was over the Road with the Tennis Ball Sized Hail that had just fallen in front of us.

As the Storm moved away from the Moisture Axis is promptly Died and we ended the Chase in Emporia (Ks)

Regards

Paul S

Posted

What an awesome chase this was was, from nothing to something supreme in a matter of minutes. Here's a few pics along with the tornado which to ropes out. I'll try and sort out a short time lapse of the tornado.

post-4649-12732922331363_thumb.jpg post-4649-12732922615263_thumb.jpg

post-4649-12732923123563_thumb.jpg post-4649-12732923344563_thumb.jpg

post-4649-12732923779263_thumb.jpg post-4649-12732924058463_thumb.jpg

post-4649-12732924275763_thumb.jpg post-4649-12732925176063_thumb.jpg

post-4649-12732925343063_thumb.jpg

Tornado roping out..#

post-4649-12732929359863_thumb.jpgpost-4649-12732928286363_thumb.jpg

post-4649-12732928451863_thumb.jpgpost-4649-12732928590563_thumb.jpg

post-4649-12732928765663_thumb.jpgpost-4649-12732928909563_thumb.jpg

post-4649-12732929010163_thumb.jpgpost-4649-12732929010163_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smokes

Posted

Just thoght i'd share this link with y'all. Put all my images taken that night into a video programme to make a fast punchy time lapse, really shows the messo rotation as it passes directly over the top of us. Hope you like & turn up your volume lol

Posted

Hey Craig, soundtrack was a must lol & have been waiting for a chance to use it. Still got the rest of the month out here so maybe a few more timelapses & Prodigy to be posted yet ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Really good video there pete sounds like everyone had an amazing time over there and some more great pictures.

Will be looking forward to tour 2 chase pictures and reports.

Posted

Great pics and video some nice lightning. Hope you all had a good time on tour 1 and good luck to the tour 2 team.

Posted

Just thoght i'd share this link with y'all. Put all my images taken that night into a video programme to make a fast punchy time lapse, really shows the messo rotation as it passes directly over the top of us. Hope you like & turn up your volume lol

Hi Pete

Nice video,

Hope to meet up on the plains some time and not under a bright blue sky. I will keep an eye oout on your website .

Tom

Posted

Hey Craig, soundtrack was a must lol & have been waiting for a chance to use it. Still got the rest of the month out here so maybe a few more timelapses & Prodigy to be posted yet tease.gif

You lucky sod ! I'm looking forward to seeing more then, never tried to do time lapse before, really can produce some stunning results tho, hope I get a chance to try when I come over on the 18th, any tips?

Posted

Hey guys, will be good to see y'all somewhere under a messo lol. We're out in a huge white Chevy Suburban this year but as James isn't with us it's quite discreet & doesn't look like a porcupine lol.

Posted

You lucky sod ! I'm looking forward to seeing more then, never tried to do time lapse before, really can produce some stunning results tho, hope I get a chance to try when I come over on the 18th, any tips?

Criag, this trip is all about experimentation for me this year with my photography to try & push some new boundaries so cant give any new sound advice till i know what im doing myself & what works best lol. Best advice i can give is try to get your camera on a tripod at every shoot & use a cable release. Means your hands are off the camera & you'll aviod any camera shake & slightly out of focus & blurred images. Try out a few "test" shots to see what they come out like & adjust to avoid anything encroaching on the sides of the frame that may become a distraction. Just a case of taking a little time & thought about your shot & framing it well.

Posted

Criag, this trip is all about experimentation for me this year with my photography to try & push some new boundaries so cant give any new sound advice till i know what im doing myself & what works best lol. Best advice i can give is try to get your camera on a tripod at every shoot & use a cable release. Means your hands are off the camera & you'll aviod any camera shake & slightly out of focus & blurred images. Try out a few "test" shots to see what they come out like & adjust to avoid anything encroaching on the sides of the frame that may become a distraction. Just a case of taking a little time & thought about your shot & framing it well.

Cheers Pete, looking forward to having a go, best of luck with the rest of your trip good.gif maybe see you out there !

Posted

Still going through some video and taken some stills off of the Barbers pole lighting up! Video will go up shortly to the player :unknw:

post-4649-12733557640254_thumb.jpgpost-4649-12733557735854_thumb.jpg

post-4649-12733557855954_thumb.jpgpost-4649-12733558036554_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hey guys, will be good to see y'all somewhere under a messo lol. We're out in a huge white Chevy Suburban this year but as James isn't with us it's quite discreet & doesn't look like a porcupine lol.

So you don't look like stormchasers?

:lol:

Tom

Posted

I've noticed I've got some decent footage of the Mesocyclone going right over our heads in Kansas, which I'll put up soon. Also have video footage of Paul struggling to get the car moving in Arkansas as there was an RFD above us giving out some serious winds.

Good 'ol American Airlines forgot how to count and overbooked my flight home from Chicago by several people.... They have been decent enough to put me up in a nice hotel, free meals, and free $500 flight vouchers. Ash permitting, I'll be going home tomorrow. :lol:

Edited by Mikel Nimbus

Posted

Wow

Mike that is a good Deal from AA - Sad to see you being bumped off a Flight but hope you get home soon. Enjoyed yours and the other guys company, it was a great 10 days Chasing.

Paul S