Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase 2010 - Day 23 Discussion

Nick F

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yep, watching closely, maybe developing a wall cloud soon?

Posted

Road safety tip for the chasers.

If power goes out, some traffic signals will flash red or in some cases they will not work at all.

Drivers in N America are generally trained to treat these intersections as four-way stops, but with so many clueless people around on cell phones, would emphasize expect some drivers to hurtle through without stopping.

Thought of this as you are likely to be chasing into suburban OKC and could be heavy damage in the region. Stay safe. Distracted drivers on cell phones are apparently causing more deaths per year nowadays than cancer or AIDS.

I've got major severe weather moving in here too, winds offshore are 60 mph.

Posted

Tornado warning for the storm the team are following now:

post-1052-12743137713929_thumb.gif

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK

655 PM CDT WED MAY 19 2010

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

CLEVELAND COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...

EASTERN GRADY COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...

NORTHWESTERN MCCLAIN COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...

WESTERN POTTAWATOMIE COUNTY IN CENTRAL OKLAHOMA...

* UNTIL 745 PM CDT

* AT 655 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE

THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 4 MILES SOUTH OF

MIDDLEBERG...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BLANCHARD...COLE...DIBBLE...

ETOWAH...GOLDSBY...LAKE THUNDERBIRD...MIDDLEBERG...NOBLE...

NORMAN...PINK...SLAUGHTERVILLE...SOUTHEASTERN OKLAHOMA CITY...

STELLA AND WASHINGTON.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 35 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 96 AND 112.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. LEAVE MOBILE HOMES AND VEHICLES. IF POSSIBLE...MOVE

TO A BASEMENT OR STORM SHELTER. OTHERWISE MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM OR

HALLWAY ON THE LOWEST FLOOR. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS AND OUTSIDE

WALLS.

Posted

We just drove under the meso :o awesome white cone off to our left

Posted

Tell people not to stand in front of the stream ...LOL

Posted

We're going to head south on the I35 to try and catch the cell thats exploded. This one seem too high based now for tornadoes. Dave has a lovely picture of a white cone though! :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I'm calling it a day now. Everything is lined out... still probably producing but can't see anything north of OKC because of the rain! Saw the first tornado of the day near Leadley . Real picturesque... Then the chaser horde arrived (I'd estimate 300+ cars easily! lots of local yahoos as well as vortex). Not sure if I want to play tomorrow's likely moderate risk as I think it'd be the same sort of deal. I may head up to Colorado in preparation for A possible chase on Friday :o Just going to see if that looks like a good play, before heading north or south on I35.

Good luck with the southern cells. They look a lot mor isolated, like when the cell up here first formed!

Posted

Paul could'nt wait to upload this pic so I'm doing this on route to the next storm :o

post-24-12743173605565_thumb.jpg

Posted

Multiu vortex tornado on the ground, south of god knows off the I35

Posted

OMG

This is incredible!

Large Multi Vortex Tornado crossed the road 1/4 mile behind us - Video is insane! Drove under the Meso LOL

Now viewing a Cone Tornado just east of I-35

Paul S

Posted

I'm very happy for you guys!.... bah who am I kidding.. you jammy sods.... grrrr...... :o

Posted

Thanks Nathan, it got interesting when we punched the core on the Norman cell, we took golf ball hail and a huge white funnel appeared on the road 1 mile to our SW. As we turned east a backlight white cone funnel formed. The cell then looked high based and outflow dominant so we blasted south to the tail end charlie, the structure was the best LP I have ever seen! This thing then started rotating like a merry-go-round blasted south again under the developing multi vortex tornado, debris and leaves started flying across the road, stopped just south, looked back and filmed a wedge tornado (Pat Timmers video is insane!) The wall cloud occluded and a new multi vortex tornado formed (again Pat has video of power flashes with this). Then blasted east for tornado number 4 with awesome mesocyclone and lightning! I thought yesterday was the best chase day ever for tornadoes and structure but today was even better! Just wait for the timelapse videos and pics :o

Posted

Day off pleaseeeeeeeeee another great day with a super Tornado along side Gorky probably the first of the day at leedey, I must say that some of the lighting today with the last light was spectacular brilliant oranges purples as massive brilliant white updraft towers corkscrewed skywards, really good day totally knackered now, we are chilled out after a slap up Tornado meal at outback mmmmmmmmmm

Posted

Sounds great. I'd have got all the tornadoes on the northern cell I'm sure, if it wasn't for the insane chaser convergence. Missed making the East West Road through loyal by mere seconds as the core came through and I had to shelter and let it past. The amount of people just pulling out in front of others, causing entire lines of cars to slam there brakes to avoid accidents was just stupid. Saw a number of cars with fresh looking fender damager and 2 cars wrecked completely in ditches. I swear there were 400-500 chase vehicles/vortex guys/curious locals following that storm. You'd get to the crest of a hill and there would be 100 people with cameras lining the road for half a mile with one of the DOW's and a few vortex vehicles. Then a couple of hills later, you'd see the same thing. Then the same at the next good viewing spot. It was utterly insane and NOT FUN!. I imagine most people there were not seasoned chasers. The coverage has really attracted a lot of people who honestly don't have an idea what is going on, to go out and look at this...

Posted

Sounds great. I'd have got all the tornadoes on the northern cell I'm sure, if it wasn't for the insane chaser convergence. Missed making the East West Road through loyal by mere seconds as the core came through and I had to shelter and let it past. The amount of people just pulling out in front of others, causing entire lines of cars to slam there brakes to avoid accidents was just stupid. Saw a number of cars with fresh looking fender damager and 2 cars wrecked completely in ditches. I swear there were 400-500 chase vehicles/vortex guys/curious locals following that storm. You'd get to the crest of a hill and there would be 100 people with cameras lining the road for half a mile with one of the DOW's and a few vortex vehicles. Then a couple of hills later, you'd see the same thing. Then the same at the next good viewing spot. It was utterly insane and NOT FUN!. I imagine most people there were not seasoned chasers. The coverage has really attracted a lot of people who honestly don't have an idea what is going on, to go out and look at this...

Defo thats why we didnt head for the north attack and headed down to Norman for a different play but even then everyone and their pet hamster was out looking at s**t spinning cold outflow features all coooing and claiming Tornados I can only imagine what a circus it was North of OKC

Posted

Thanks Nathan, it got interesting when we punched the core on the Norman cell, we took golf ball hail and a huge white funnel appeared on the road 1 mile to our SW. As we turned east a backlight white cone funnel formed. The cell then looked high based and outflow dominant so we blasted south to the tail end charlie, the structure was the best LP I have ever seen! This thing then started rotating like a merry-go-round blasted south again under the developing multi vortex tornado, debris and leaves started flying across the road, stopped just south, looked back and filmed a wedge tornado (Pat Timmers video is insane!) The wall cloud occluded and a new multi vortex tornado formed (again Pat has video of power flashes with this). Then blasted east for tornado number 4 with awesome mesocyclone and lightning! I thought yesterday was the best chase day ever for tornadoes and structure but today was even better! Just wait for the timelapse videos and pics tongue.gif

I thought it was Pat Spider Timmer he needs 8 arms to use all his camera gear at once on that mega bracket he bought the other day