Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer Garden Photos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It would be interesting to see members garden photos to see what kind of plant you are growing, and of course how they took this winter.

100_2128.jpg

100_2131.jpg

100_2130.jpg

100_2120.jpg

100_2127.jpg

Posted

Great photos Stephen, you obviously manage to tear yourself away from netweather to do a bit of gardening!.

You can always rely on a Trachycarpus to laugh in the face of a Brit Winter. Mine are looking good ...shame I can't say the same for my Cordylines and Dicksonia. We had a lot of deep snow and some very sharp frosts here; I'm amazed that I didn't lose more.

Love your Cacti ... what have you got just to the right of them ...looks like a small sago palm?!! ...I assume that didn't winter outside?

I'll take some pics this evening after cutting the lawn and watering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

i would post my garden but at the moment we are building a pond so it looks like a building site :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Great photos Stephen, you obviously manage to tear yourself away from netweather to do a bit of gardening!.

You can always rely on a Trachycarpus to laugh in the face of a Brit Winter. Mine are looking good ...shame I can't say the same for my Cordylines and Dicksonia. We had a lot of deep snow and some very sharp frosts here; I'm amazed that I didn't lose more.

Love your Cacti ... what have you got just to the right of them ...looks like a small sago palm?!! ...I assume that didn't winter outside?

I'll take some pics this evening after cutting the lawn and watering.

Its always tough on the garden when winter like the last come around but it's bittersweet really, especially for everyone on net-weather.

Thats a Sago yes, that particular one didn't winter over but I had a small one that did, but wasn't growing much so I stuck the small one in a pot and planted the bigger one there. The Cycas revoluta (Sago), is actually pretty good here on the coast, even last winter it got minimal damage.

What the photo doesn't show is two Bougainvilleas that got through the winter outside in bone dry soil. The temperature itself didn't go very low like other parts (only -7.3C) but it was alot colder and alot more frequent than we usually get! No Cordylines died this way and a few houseplant Yuccas survived ok outside around the peninsula.

Posted

Its always tough on the garden when winter like the last come around but it's bittersweet really, especially for everyone on net-weather.

Thats a Sago yes, that particular one didn't winter over but I had a small one that did, but wasn't growing much so I stuck the small one in a pot and planted the bigger one there. The Cycas revoluta (Sago), is actually pretty good here on the coast, even last winter it got minimal damage.

What the photo doesn't show is two Bougainvilleas that got through the winter outside in bone dry soil. The temperature itself didn't go very low like other parts (only -7.3C) but it was alot colder and alot more frequent than we usually get! No Cordylines died this way and a few houseplant Yuccas survived ok outside around the peninsula.

A shot of my front garden ... my deep freeze proof Trachycarpus coming into flower with a Chamaerops humilis off to the left and some Dicksonia in the background (painfully I lost 2 of these)and one of my remaining Cordylines.

post-1808-12755955259747_thumb.jpg

Lost one of my Cordylines (about 8ft) ...and then there is this sad individual...completely dead on top but if you look closely you can see the new shoots coming off the trunk ...isn't nature clever!!

post-1808-12755955862227_thumb.jpg

I've also got a couple of Butia Capitatas that came through ok whereas the Butia Eriospatha which is meant to be the hardier variety has had it. All in all a painfully expensive winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

post-2752-12760319275428_thumb.jpgpost-2752-12760319594372_thumb.jpg

A work in progress. The above is in 99' when we landed here (all the 'rake off' work has been done)

post-2752-12760324887726_thumb.jpg

so , In think , we're getting there!!!

Balancing a kiddies garden ,low maintainance planting and 'wildlife' (ponds and planting for bugs and critters) with my hammock space for the odd 20 mins of sun every so often (and drainage for the monsoons!) is fun!

Posted

wow that face of rock looks awesome, I'd love to have that in my garden, its an arid/alpine gardeners dream. Must create a healthy microclimate too for the plants below.

Posted

A shot of my front garden ... my deep freeze proof Trachycarpus coming into flower with a Chamaerops humilis off to the left and some Dicksonia in the background (painfully I lost 2 of these)and one of my remaining Cordylines.

Lost one of my Cordylines (about 8ft) ...and then there is this sad individual...completely dead on top but if you look closely you can see the new shoots coming off the trunk ...isn't nature clever!!

I've also got a couple of Butia Capitatas that came through ok whereas the Butia Eriospatha which is meant to be the hardier variety has had it. All in all a painfully expensive winter!

Agreed the Trachy is the ultimate palm for the UK, and to be honest is one of the best looking fan palms available anyway and they look even better stripped down to their ringed trunk. In fact if the birds take a liking to the fruit they actually tend to self seed everywhere so potentially they're a heavily naturalising species.

I imagine you were gutted when you lost the Cordyline, it's such a nice plant. When I grew up I used to just ignore Cordylines because they were everywhere and you didn't think about them at all, they were so common they were just another plant. When I started exotic gardening I developed an interest for them, and realised they're not as indistinguishable as I first thought in the UK. I'm glad yours are coming back though, are you a former New Zealand resident yourself? If so these are probably greatly treasured in NZ and quite rightly too!

I agree re: Butia eriospatha, a large one in my town croaked, it may come back but it was fairly big, yet my Butia capitata seedling came through unprotected... the difference in frost tolerance is massive it seems!

Posted

I bought my house off a retired couple in 2003, and at that time the garden was full of herbaceous and bedding plants and was very high maintenance. I much prefer a strong structure with shrubs and then hardy perennial plants to fill in the gaps, and I have a strong preference for native plants where possible, so my garden is a bit messy but pretty much takes care of itself and the birds and bees like it. I did wonder if the lawn would survive the winter, particularly as the kids were outside on it more this winter than any other, but a good scarify in the spring's sorted it out. If the dog wees on it one more time though, I'll get my secateurs and...

I should know loads and loads about garden plants, seeing as I'm a landscape architect, but I don't.

post-717-12770353309592_thumb.jpg

post-717-12770353443328_thumb.jpg - the rabbits have an en-suite garden

post-717-12770353615891_thumb.jpg - a gap where two Buddleais were lost...had to replant with some new ones.

post-717-12770353742823_thumb.jpg - probably need to start pulling up the Alchemilla, but it looks pretty, particularly after it's rained.

post-717-12770353865173_thumb.jpg - the frost had a go at next door's Leylandii hedge, but alas, it lives on.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted

I thought I'd stick a couple on here, but the light wasn't very good in the garden, so I'll wait till later to post some more enjoy....

summer2010008.jpg

summer2010010.jpg

summer2010001.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I have a created a cottage garden with long tall stem flowers that dance and sway in the breeze everywhere.

I also have a veg patch and about 15 types of Clematis. I shall post up some photos soonsmile.gif

Posted

Ours too is a cottage garden, mainly to do with the fact that i'm a messy person :drinks:

summer2010046.jpg

the green mesh stuff on the right up the garden a bit, is to stop the dogs from weeing all over my little veggie patch!

summer2010048.jpg

our angel's trumpets, they smell amazing at night!

summer2010033.jpg

rosa "scentimental"

summer2010031.jpg

climbing rose "queen elizabeth" planted at the jubilee, and is amazing for flowering from may till december!!!

summer2010030.jpg

Beauty bush (kolkwitzia)

summer2010025.jpg

blue cornflower

summer2010024.jpg

feverfew

summer2010021.jpg

yellow loostrife

summer2010017.jpg

rosa "paul's scarlet" climber

summer2010018.jpg

mock orange called "virginal" be careful with the pronunciations lol!

summer2010009.jpg

chciken run at end of the garden with 6 hens, 5 of which are ex-battery and are so much happier now

summer2010036.jpg

and last but not least...our notocactus which has enormous buds for the size of the plant...they are 5" long so god knows how big the flowers will be!

oh and a winter picture to remind me of the miracles of nature!!

100_0763.jpg

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted

What a lovely cottage garden chsmile.gifThe flowers are gorgeous . Your garden isen't messy . Mine is lol .I have chucked wildflower seeds here there and everywhere lol. I also have an arch where I am growing a white rose rambler and clematis montana on it. Only lived in this new place 6 months now, so still lots to do. We are having problems with our grass though. It's really patchy grrrr.I am not to good with grass lol. All my sweet peas have started to bloom . I sow seeds a lot but buy the cottage garden plants from the local nursery.

I really must tidy up the garden a bit before I post any more pics lol

Sorry about the size of the picture I didn't realise it was so big.Will resize them first next time.

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted

What a lovely cottage garden chsmile.gifThe flowers are gorgeous . Your garden isen't messy . Mine is lol .I have chucked wildflower seeds here there and everywhere lol. I also have an arch where I am growing a white rose rambler and clematis montana on it. Only lived in this new place 6 months now, so still lots to do. We are having problems with our grass though. It's really patchy grrrr.I am not to good with grass lol. All my sweet peas have started to bloom . I sow seeds a lot but buy the cottage garden plants from the local nursery.

I really must tidy up the garden a bit before I post any more pics lol

Sorry about the size of the picture I didn't realise it was so big.Will resize them first next time.

God bless you!

That's an amazing montana clem there!

We're trying to grow one up the other side of the garden atm, it's going bonkers!

You must always remember that gardens are never finished and that experiment is the best way to acheive perfection.

I, in looking back at these bloomin' photos (intentional pun), have noticed that I seem to be eering on the side of pink a little too much for a red blooded man lol!

In regards to grass, don't get to hung up on it, so long as you have watered it plenty, it should come through, unless you want a bowling green.

If you want really good cottage garden perrenials, try hardy gerainiums for a start, and columbines, they are so easy to do from seed and fill so many gaps and WILL not fail, in any garden whatsoever.

Also foxgloves, and if you can get hold of pot marigold and feverfew, either plants or seed, you'll never be without either.

Just got with the flow and plant as much as you can for the first couple of seasons, that way you can what you can get away with....it's so much bloomin fun!!! B)

I should love to see some pictures of your sweet peas, we've not grown any this year, as are trying to grow climbing french beans instead, they are up about 4" atm and are being got at by the slugs/snails, if they don't do well, at leats the snails will have :lol:

Posted

It would be interesting to see members garden photos to see what kind of plant you are growing, and of course how they took this winter.

100_2128.jpg

100_2131.jpg

100_2130.jpg

100_2120.jpg

100_2127.jpg

Wow!! i love the tropical effect! are those cati out all winter??!!

Is that a "scarborough lilly" i see?

We've had no end of folk coming into work and saying that their cordylines, fuchsias and agave, yukka and ceonothus have died this year I can't count...it's job trying to convince them that it was the winter rather than something they've done.

I've been telling them it was a one in 30 year winter, but looking at the signs, both digital and natural, I'm not so sure...

post-2752-12760319275428_thumb.jpgpost-2752-12760319594372_thumb.jpg

A work in progress. The above is in 99' when we landed here (all the 'rake off' work has been done)

post-2752-12760324887726_thumb.jpg

so , In think , we're getting there!!!

Balancing a kiddies garden ,low maintainance planting and 'wildlife' (ponds and planting for bugs and critters) with my hammock space for the odd 20 mins of sun every so often (and drainage for the monsoons!) is fun!

the honeysuckle and rose combo are amazing, my honeysuckle if "fail" as even when i planted it, i knew it wouldn'r get enough water and thus surcome to milldew and small flowers...hey-ho!

Bet it smells amazing? what rose it that?

I bought my house off a retired couple in 2003, and at that time the garden was full of herbaceous and bedding plants and was very high maintenance. I much prefer a strong structure with shrubs and then hardy perennial plants to fill in the gaps, and I have a strong preference for native plants where possible, so my garden is a bit messy but pretty much takes care of itself and the birds and bees like it. I did wonder if the lawn would survive the winter, particularly as the kids were outside on it more this winter than any other, but a good scarify in the spring's sorted it out. If the dog wees on it one more time though, I'll get my secateurs and...

I should know loads and loads about garden plants, seeing as I'm a landscape architect, but I don't.

post-717-12770353309592_thumb.jpg

post-717-12770353443328_thumb.jpg - the rabbits have an en-suite garden

post-717-12770353615891_thumb.jpg - a gap where two Buddleais were lost...had to replant with some new ones.

post-717-12770353742823_thumb.jpg - probably need to start pulling up the Alchemilla, but it looks pretty, particularly after it's rained.

post-717-12770353865173_thumb.jpg - the frost had a go at next door's Leylandii hedge, but alas, it lives on.

I tell you what matey, that gap you have in the hedge is much more attractive than if you were to plant some more buddleja.

You can see that the lupins are finding the gap graet for growth and seeing as the rest of the garden is rather shadey, you could take advantage of the gap and plant some amazing perrenials, like dictamnis, or phlox?

Posted

I can't compete either with some of the lovely photos or the knowledge and ability to name shrubs-plants-flowers. I know what flowering season-leaf etc and its approximate height but naming them I've never been much good at, English and even less the Latin names.

anyway a couple of comparison photos in my back-end March and this morning, hence the deep shadow on one.

sorry larger than intended should be 25% but they are 50% of the original

post-847-12771138039605_thumb.jpg

post-847-12771138914192_thumb.jpg

post-847-1277113933559_thumb.jpg

post-847-12771139701619_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

God bless you!

That's an amazing montana clem there!

We're trying to grow one up the other side of the garden atm, it's going bonkers!

You must always remember that gardens are never finished and that experiment is the best way to acheive perfection.

I, in looking back at these bloomin' photos (intentional pun), have noticed that I seem to be eering on the side of pink a little too much for a red blooded man lol!

In regards to grass, don't get to hung up on it, so long as you have watered it plenty, it should come through, unless you want a bowling green.

If you want really good cottage garden perrenials, try hardy gerainiums for a start, and columbines, they are so easy to do from seed and fill so many gaps and WILL not fail, in any garden whatsoever.

Also foxgloves, and if you can get hold of pot marigold and feverfew, either plants or seed, you'll never be without either.

Just got with the flow and plant as much as you can for the first couple of seasons, that way you can what you can get away with....it's so much bloomin fun!!! yahoo.gif

I should love to see some pictures of your sweet peas, we've not grown any this year, as are trying to grow climbing french beans instead, they are up about 4" atm and are being got at by the slugs/snails, if they don't do well, at leats the snails will have smile.gif

Thank yousmile.gif

I will try and attempt some new photos this afternoon (when I've removed all the clutter lol)

The Clematis montana is growing on the fence and the pic was taken from the street side of the garden.

I can't seem to sit still in the garden I just want to do gardening forever lol. Some of my cottage garden flowers and plants include:

Orange and yellow Geums... have also planted some seeds indoors yesterday and stuck the pots on the kitchen windowsill.

Wallflowers

Sage 'Hot Lips' Salvia × jamensis '

Campanula persicifolia ( I adore this pretty bell shape flowers)smile.gif

cosmo chocamocho ( these flowers smell of chocolate )

Paul Scarlets climbing rose

Lavetera clemantii

Buddleai

I have so much more to add but it will take me ages for now lol as I must go and tend to the flowers soon and tidy up to take some pictures lol.

I shall also take some Pics of my sweet peas.I started them in Autumn by seed ..they do look rather straggly tho lolblush.gif

I love foxgloves,but I have a springer spaniel dog who tends to try and chew my flowers sometimes lol

Geraniums are okish but I would prefer long stemmed geraniums.

I shall look for the other plants you mentioned as they sound pretty coolsmile.gif

John,

I must say I do like your garden. I love all the cottage garden flowers in different places and the variety of different plants.smile.gif

Posted

this is without the shadow-hopefully quicker to upload as well

post-847-12771168633109_thumb.jpg

Posted

Wow!! i love the tropical effect! are those cati out all winter??!!

Is that a "scarborough lilly" i see?

We've had no end of folk coming into work and saying that their cordylines, fuchsias and agave, yukka and ceonothus have died this year I can't count...it's job trying to convince them that it was the winter rather than something they've done.

I've been telling them it was a one in 30 year winter, but looking at the signs, both digital and natural, I'm not so sure...

Th cacti will be out all winter, originally I thought I was going to pull them in but they're hardy enough and I will just make them a little make-shift shelter to keep any frost out.

it's a Kaffir Lily, very similar, won't be keeping that in that ground over winter though, although it could probably survive the average winter with shelter but it's a great plant so I dont want to take any chances.

This winters not been so good, I think for Cordylines it's been a mixed winter.. although in my area certainly none have been lost, there have been reports around the UK and I saw some big ones dead in Manchester. Of course just because they're leaves pulled doesn't mean they're dead but temperatures of -10 or even -15C are risky.

What type of fuchsias have died? I always thought Fuchsias were hardy to -20C or more.

Posted

Here are a few pics I managed to take this afternoon with my tempermental camera lol.

Please take no notice of the pathway between the flowers as this still has to to be tidied and sorted yet.

Still many jobs for me to do as yet.This is just the beginning lol.

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted

Th cacti will be out all winter, originally I thought I was going to pull them in but they're hardy enough and I will just make them a little make-shift shelter to keep any frost out.

it's a Kaffir Lily, very similar, won't be keeping that in that ground over winter though, although it could probably survive the average winter with shelter but it's a great plant so I dont want to take any chances.

This winters not been so good, I think for Cordylines it's been a mixed winter.. although in my area certainly none have been lost, there have been reports around the UK and I saw some big ones dead in Manchester. Of course just because they're leaves pulled doesn't mean they're dead but temperatures of -10 or even -15C are risky.

What type of fuchsias have died? I always thought Fuchsias were hardy to -20C or more.

mainly the riccartonii, and mrs popple, i think they died more from lack of water rather than cold because of the ground being frozen for so long, and we had the least snow in Britain last winter so it dried up quicker.

we also recorded a -17'c here one night last winter...well at work, it's at the bottom of a big hill.

I see now that plant in your garden is a Clivia, i got a bit confused coz we call 'schizostylis' kaffir lillies up here.

this is without the shadow-hopefully quicker to upload as well

post-847-12771168633109_thumb.jpg

Love the garden John, I especially love all those poppies, all self setters I bet?

That's the one thing I keep meaning to set for ours, some shirley poppies.

Here are a few pics I managed to take this afternoon with my tempermental camera lol.

Please take no notice of the pathway between the flowers as this still has to to be tidied and sorted yet.

Still many jobs for me to do as yet.This is just the beginning lol.

I love picture '1' all those geums! they are so easy to set from seed it's embaressing!

You should be now, setting all of your perennial seed for next year, lupins, foxgloves, aquilegia, brompton stocks, sweet rocket, and my favourite....sweet williams!

It's still not too late to set a few annuals like night scented stocks and virginia stocks.

The sweet peas look nice too, are you gonna cut a load for the house? coz the more you cut them, the more they grow!

Posted

I must say I do like your garden. I love all the cottage garden flowers in different places and the variety of different plants

Love the garden John, I especially love all those poppies, all self setters I bet?

Many thanks Jane and ch, I think all the photos posters have shown of their gardens are first class, and I’ve enjoyed looking at all of them.

Yep, re the poppies, after the 2nd year the bin men muttered to one another as they emptied the ‘green’ bin. I quite expected to have a visit from the council thinking I had a drug assembly lin!. I just love all kinds of poppies, and yes self seeding, helped along to a second flush by saving more seeds and scattering in early- mid May. The one I’ve not managed to get to flower is the black one-this year I will get one from a garden centre and plant it, I’ve given up with seeds.

The idea of the garden, other than weeding and trimming through the year, putting autumn-spring flowers into pots and changing those for summer varieties, is for it to be about self sufficient which it largely is.

I’ll drop some photos of the 4 changes made in the 20 years I’ve been here when I get a chance to sort some photos out.

It’s a lovely hobby whatever anyone’s’ preference is. When I worked 30 minutes pottering in the garden or greenhouse when I got home with a cuppa washed the stress of the day away whatever time of year I found.

Posted

I must say I do like your garden. I love all the cottage garden flowers in different places and the variety of different plants

Many thanks Jane and ch, I think all the photos posters have shown of their gardens are first class, and I’ve enjoyed looking at all of them.

Yep, re the poppies, after the 2nd year the bin men muttered to one another as they emptied the ‘green’ bin. I quite expected to have a visit from the council thinking I had a drug assembly lin!. I just love all kinds of poppies, and yes self seeding, helped along to a second flush by saving more seeds and scattering in early- mid May. The one I’ve not managed to get to flower is the black one-this year I will get one from a garden centre and plant it, I’ve given up with seeds.

The idea of the garden, other than weeding and trimming through the year, putting autumn-spring flowers into pots and changing those for summer varieties, is for it to be about self sufficient which it largely is.

I’ll drop some photos of the 4 changes made in the 20 years I’ve been here when I get a chance to sort some photos out.

It’s a lovely hobby whatever anyone’s’ preference is. When I worked 30 minutes pottering in the garden or greenhouse when I got home with a cuppa washed the stress of the day away whatever time of year I found.

I lied yesterday about having no poppies, as I'd forgotton I'd planted this one...

poppies003.jpg

It's well worth getting if you can, it in a mix of seed called "champagne bubbles" and the main thing that attracted it to me is the weird fact that it is FRAGRANT!! it has a very sweet honey like fragrance to it, which is unique as far as i know?

Also a gaillardia has just opened today, this one is called "goblin"

poppies005.jpg

Posted

I lied yesterday about having no poppies, as I'd forgotton I'd planted this one...

It's well worth getting if you can, it in a mix of seed called "champagne bubbles" and the main thing that attracted it to me is the weird fact that it is FRAGRANT!! it has a very sweet honey like fragrance to it, which is unique as far as i know?

I like the idea of one with scent. I love poppies of all kinds but do hate the smell on my hands when pulling them up in late summer.