Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Opinions Needed

Posted

Hi Guys

Need to throw this one out there for Paul at Netweather Towers.

We are thinking about doing a 10 day trip to Arizona to Chase down and Photograph Desert Lightning and Monsoon's during the Season which typically runs from Late July through to Mid September. Dont know if this will happen this year or indeed next but just wanted to see if there was any interest in this sort of thing after the successfull Storm Chase Season this year.

I have a very good contact in Susan Strom (Lightninglady.com) who is probably the best in the World at this and things would run similar with data etc with the Barons getting us the best action, these chases would obviously not be as high impact as Tornado Chasing and much more sedate with more emphasis on Lightning and Haboob's

Please reply in this thread if there is any interest, as I say nothing is set in concrete even for this year but opinions count.

Paul S

Posted

you know I would be interested...

But it all depends on how long for and how much money..

Couldnt do it this year but maybe next....

So with me its how long for at how much

would like to find out if there are speacial discounts with frequent flyer's as this would help with the costs

edit...I see 10 day :doh:

Ive see the Arizonia lightning which is SPECTACULAR by a long shot :drinks:

Edited by dogs32

Posted

its on my hit list of things to do 2012 perhaps depends how next years storm chase goes as i want to bag some more tornado pics first.

I have already found lightning ladies pics plus several others the storms look very photogenic

Posted

its on my hit list of things to do 2012 perhaps depends how next years storm chase goes as i want to bag some more tornado pics first.

I have already found lightning ladies pics plus several others the storms look very photogenic

I knew you would be into it Pete :drinks:

Posted

Sounds like the foundation for a great concept, but I would design it as a regional scenery trip where the final routing and timing could be weather-dependent for the lightning shots. You could fly in and out of Las Vegas NV for an interesting day at either end of the trip. From there, I would suggest a counter-clockwise loop through southern Utah to include Zion and Bryce Canyon for certain, scenery excellent and increasing chances for monsoonal storms as you go. From Bryce Canyon, would have options of further visits in southeast Utah if weather either regionally dry or storms in that area, or, on to north rim of Grand Canyon (this is less crowded in summer than south rim), quite often a good spot for lightning. From here you could have options of Navajo country in northeast AZ, or meteor crater east of Flagstaff AZ on towards Winslow, Painted Desert and south into Mogollon Ridge area for most dramatic monsoonal storms. From that area, would be more dependent on further weather developments and the timing of return trip from Las Vegas unless you could design an option to return from Phoenix.

If you had a scenery foundation for the trip, then guests would be sure to receive the basic experience and the summer lightning would be fairly predictable as a sideshow. Would suggest as late as possible into August to get the maximum frequency of lightning and also to hit a slightly cooler phase of summer. Would want to avoid southern AZ which can be perhaps too hot for comfortable travel. Further north the elevation keeps daytime temps in the 90s mostly and with the low humidity it is tolerable.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

I'd be up for it ......it would be awsome to see lightening against the Arizona landscape

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Very interested as i cant come storm chasing earlier in the year! :crazy:rolleyes.gif

Posted

I'd be up for it ......it would be awsome to see lightening against the Arizona landscape

yes they have orange and red sunsets...nice with lightning shooting out the anvil...nice pics

Posted

Very interested as i cant come storm chasing earlier in the year! :o rolleyes.gif

you would love it mate..

Very surprised of the lack of interest on this to be honest

Edited by dogs32

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hi all,

I'd definitely be interested, haven't been storm chasing at all so think this would be a good place to start. If this takes off, count me in! Thanks :good:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Yes we've all got thousands of pounds to spend :whistling: , why not have some europe chasing for a change... I've see spain get some amazing storms

Posted

Yes we've all got thousands of pounds to spend :whistling: , why not have some europe chasing for a change... I've see spain get some amazing storms

So why dont you organise a trip down there ?? I am sure you can jump on a Plane for £30 and hire a car for a day, there is a thread about European Chasing a few threads below this one.

Unfortunately Chasing Storms is not cheap, when you add in the Fuel, Car Hire, Hotels, Plane Fares and Insurance etc and thats before you have added in the costs of equipment and Datacard Hiring it is not cheap, but then this thread was not about the cost just the people who are Interested.

Thanks for trying to trash the thread though - Well Done with that. :whistling:

Paul S

Posted

Paul

Mmmm mmm, it sounds really great, unfortunately not in my bank balance for this year or next, as I need to bag more tornadic stuff to satisfy that need first. But then, the Arizona trip hits top of my list, as a would most definitely do.

Nice idea, just cant do two US trips in one year.

Put my name down as a definite for 2012, in fact that would be me and missus.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Thanks Quentin thats the sort of reply I was hoping to get on this thread.

We have not sorted anything out with regards to price on this one, the only thing I have looked into is flight costs which are about £550 Return to Pheonix Sky Harbour from Heathrow on BA. I just wanted to see if any people "might" be Interested in something like this, looks like a couple of the Girls are and if we can get 4 + Me ( 1 SUV )we might even be able to sort something out for the Middle to End of the Monsoon Season this year but chances of that would be extremely low atm.

Remember I will probably also get the Most Famous Desert Chaser to meet up at some points along the way as well - Namely LightningLady! Susan Strom! And hearing tales of Storms and the Local Folklore about the Indians and the Old Copper Mines is worth the trip in itself.

Best

Paul S

Posted

....looks like i need to win the lottery!

Ok

Might as well Lock This Thread as there does not look like anything more to say constructively about this, it is obviously far too expensive (Although No Prices have been Released) Go Figure that one!

Have noted the Interested Members so if ever we get this off the Ground will Pm You Privately on the matter.

Paul S

Posted

Keeping this thread locked for now...............but

It seems we have 4 people interested in this for this year and in order to take it forward and talk about Prices privately we do need 1 more person, an ideal number for this is 5 people, this will secure a large SUV Vehicle, rental of the Baron's for the 11 days and 10 nights etc, all the accomodation, Insurance and Petrol. Flight prices can be checked via the ba.com website, just for your info you need to be flying from LHR To Pheonix Sky Harbour. The Monsoon Season is well underway and lasts until the middle of September, so we only really have 8 weeks to get this sorted, as I previosuly stated we will probably get to ride along with the most famous Desert Chaser in the world namely Susan Strom. Check out her Pictures at Lightning Lady . com

So if I have this right the 3 out of 4 interested are as follows

Pat Carter

Claire Hudson

Sara (slb97)

If you are still interested can you Pm me and I can let you know about costs etc and possible dates of travel, if we cant get the 5 then this will have to be postponed until next year at the earliest

Regards

Paul S